Fellow Train buffs..

Must admit I developed a soft spot for the old duffs when I got a cab ride back from central station to Durham via Heston depot when I as a young in. Never be allowed now but what a class thing for the driver to do, didn’t even interfere with me. :lol:

I used to love a cab ride. Even though he'd retired from the railways, my grandad knew quite a few of the drivers and guards. We used to sit on Darlington Station and every so often someone he knew would be working the train and we'd get a ride to York or Durham.

I can hear his words now.

"Sit still and don't touch anything.

Completely different (and in some cases better) world back then

I can almost hear that. Intriguing is where the artist would have to have been to capture that angle.

A mate of mine was on a train passing Durham, years ago. He was in a compartment with 3 Japanese tourists. As they went south from Durham station, one of them drew their attention to a bog standard church to the north side of the line. They all had their cameras out, trying to get a photo.

Meanwhile, Durham Cathedral was sailing past on the other side of the train.

I know the word 'trainspotter' tends to be a pejorative term these days, but I feel very nostalgic for the days it was my main hobby. As a 12-14 oldish lad, just spending Saturdays on the rail network, either at stations or travelling with cheap tickets, it seemed like an ideal world.

Back