February voting thread - Rule of Thirds

February Challenge - Photo of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m going to try to ignore the arguing (lover not a fighter) and pretend I haven’t read anyone else’s opinion when commenting…

Me – met the theme well ;) and I was happy with the atmosphere but the composition is a bit fussy for my liking ;)

TomTomMacute – nicely exposed and lit and interesting subject that met the theme. Maybe the different elements don’t quite hold together to my liking enough to get a vote though – would it have worked better from another angle?

Taipei – great lighting and urban atmosphere but not sure it met the theme very strongly. Interesting scene though.

Iain Hesford – a very appealing composition but for me it is almost the antithesis of the theme – the thirds created by the windowframes are exactly where the subject isn’t. Though I can accept that’s still an interpretation of the theme.

Hue Jorgan – met the theme, certainly, but the characters didn’t particularly interest me and I get the impression there’s a bit of fill-flash hitting the nearest two but not the others which looks a bit odd. Conjures up a cold day on the north east coast well mind.

Amnorrageordie – I like the composition – might have actually been more atmospheric without the ripples but a nice shot nevertheless.

Madmackem – waterfall looks great but perhaps the composition is a bit busy for my tastes. Certainly meets the theme though.

Tiredeyes – interesting pylon (?) shot which might have benefitted from a little more symmetrical cropping? Not sure it meets the theme as for me the focal point is in the very centre.

Les the Scientist – I quite like this and think the technique works nicely. I would have probably put the horizon on a third too for this month’s competition – it’s kind of between the middle and the top third to my eye. But I guess the ROT is not an exact science (or is it?)

Clyde – I really like this. Meets the theme perfectly (I actually think the ROT used classically works best with a square composition like this). Just a good simple composition, nicely lit, with a touch of clever technique, beautifully put together. VOTE.

Mainze – met the theme very well, nice composition, and atmospheric. Almost gets my vote.

Luckyknickers –I very much like the mood and juxtaposition of the different elements here but I can’t say it’s a good example of ROT. Nice photo though.

Peachbum – I like taking photos of postboxes too for some reason (it’s the red paint I think) and it does meet the theme. Nice bold composition. VOTE.

Phil – I like this kind of composition but the depth of field doesn’t quite work and therefore my eye doesn’t find its way around the picture that comfortably. Slightly blurred/soft too?

Notspavin – this is very much to my taste and meets the theme very nicely. Red against pale blue sky provides nice contrast too. VOTE.

Spongebobmax – I like the composition and feel of this but don’t think it demonstrates the ROT enough to get a vote. Not a massive fan of still life personally either, but many others are of course.

Thankheavenforshed7 – an example of ROT which isn’t exactly on thirds (on the basis that for me the top of the lighthouse is the focal point, which is almost central in a vertical plane and almost at the edge horizontally) but still works very well. Like it.

Farralad – comments almost identical to Thankheaven’s shot, though perhaps more of a classical thirds with the leading red wall (even though it is curved it still works on the ROT I think). Appealing shot and a creative variation on the family snap.

Ghost of EH7 – Nice kit and a good shot if you’re selling those beauties but not the most interesting photo for me.

Cheers all – hope none of this offends and we can all run along and play nicely now….

Horrible green tinge. Nightmare to remove. B&w conversion is the best you can hope with it. I'm saving up for a nice Lee 10 stop job. Hundred quid though :-(

I dont know what kind of Camera you use, I have a Canon 500D, when I use my WG filter I take a pic and use it as a custom ite balance, that removes the green from future pics, just remember to switch back to normal WB after.
I also bought a hitech 10stopper cokin p size for less than £30 delivered from here - http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-fil...-d/high-density-neutral-standard-filters.aspx

I have to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed today on the Photography boards. Some good craic floating about and some really interesting thoughts and discussions. I'm very glad that this place exists.

I have to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed today on the Photography boards. Some good craic floating about and some really interesting thoughts and discussions. I'm very glad that this place exists.

You're just like me, love it when it kicks off ;) :lol:

:lol: It was a bit livelier than usual, that's for sure! It got more people commenting though, which is a good thing.

In an ideal world this board would attract members from other (mostly deathly dull) photography forums

It's certainly been a success

I voted for Tom Tom Macute - love the composition and structure of the photo.

As regards the rest they are all brilliant / shite * and all obviously taken by talented / clueless * photographers.

*delete as appropriate

Multiple choice feedback - its the way forward.

P.S. I was going to put in a vote for Sugar Knickers as I hate to see people getting zero votes but I am clueless and messed it up - sorry.

Last edited:
I went for 4: Amnorrageorgdie, Mainze, Lucky Knickers and Farralad.

I am well out of step with the majority opinion this month because one of the ones I loved most was Lucky Knickers and the one of the ones that was a little low down my personal wish list was Ian Hesford (sorry mate, it's a good shot, but to me I was looking for people who'd used ROT in the composition, rather than shoot a grid like that, although I like the idea and the fact you're in the shot).

I am amazed that LK hasn't rated more highly: it has wonderful colour, wonderful atmosphere and is beautifully composed.

Overall I think this month has taught a very important discipline, including to those of like me who couldn't take part.

some cracking comments, and some nice critiques.

also some errrr heated debate but there ya go can't please everyone

oh and soprando, the comment about the flash? there was not one, the sun was coming out at ramdom, and I liked the fact the figures on the left were more lit and the others were not as lit, but hey its all subjective thats the point of art (aint it?)

and on the point of titles, I love 'em, give the pic (in most cases) if titled well more 'depth' and 'warmth' imo, but I'm no expert i just take pics for a living - lol

it was took in broad daylight and is an 80 odd second exposure, thats why the sea is also smoothed out and clouds have movement in them and i just stood in the frame for around 30 seconds, it was took with a $&&^$%&^*(()*)**^^^ filter
:)

In the spirit of constructive criticism, I would prefer the shot either with no-one in it, or with someone entirely in it.

oh and soprando, the comment about the flash? there was not one, the sun was coming out at ramdom, and I liked the fact the figures on the left were more lit and the others were not as lit, but hey its all subjective thats the point of art (aint it?)

Fair enough - agree about the subjectivity too - would be boring if there was a right and wrong about this stuff.

thanks for the feedback to everyone who has taken the time to do everyones. i was worried that it didn't quite meet the theme as it is meant to be interpreted, and now looking back i can see that the picture of mj and the lamppost are kind of fighting each other for the limelight. thanks for the tips as well, i can see how these could have improved it to meet the theme better.

janie - thanks for the vote and kind words, and for liking my picture :-D i was quite proud of it as a picture :oops: and think i might have made it fit the theme in my head cos i liked it so much.

my one vote (didn't feel qualified to properly judge this month, so voted for the one, in my opinion, that fitted the theme the best) goes to notspavin. made me smile too, which always helps when i am deciding who to give my vote to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back