February Challenge - Open round, but.... Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, just for a change we're going to have an open round, however, and this is designed to bring out the photographic "eye" in entrants, your shot must be taken with a point & shoot, a camera on AUTO, or a camera phone.

Happy shooting

OK, just for a change we're going to have an open round, however, and this is designed to bring out the photographic "eye" in entrants, your shot must be taken with a point & shoot, a camera on AUTO, or a camera phone.

Happy shooting
Is post production allowed? Or should the photograph be as taken?

Last edited:
Does this really work?

We may be comparing stuff shot on top notch slrs with stuff from a 2mp cameraphone

I may see if my phase one has an auto function :p

Does this really work?

We may be comparing stuff shot on top notch slrs with stuff from a 2mp cameraphone

I may see if my phase one has an auto function :p

:lol:

Disappointed with the theme this month like, I usually use these competitions as a way of learning something new and making an effort thinking and composing something i wouldn't usually take.

This month is basically hoy ya camera into auto and click away.

I was under the impression that people had entered and won using point and shoot cameras in the past, after all judgement is not all about technical excellence but how well the theme has been met etc.

on the plus side there is no way to fail meeting the theme this month :lol:

Last edited:
Disappointed with the theme this month like, I usually use these competitions as a way of learning something new and making an effort thinking and composing something i wouldn't usually take.

This month is basically hoy ya camera into auto and click away.

I was under the impression that people had entered and won using point and shoot cameras in the past, after all judgement is not all about technical excellence but how well the theme has been met etc.

on the plus side there is no way to fail meeting the theme this month
:lol:

I'm sure there is :lol: Peachy will let you know ;)

I suggested the theme myself, well i suggested mobile phone shots. A great leveller, but even then you've maybe got a few flash ones. But the way AB has phrased it you could be shooting on a Hasselblad H4D :eek:

I'm sure there is :lol: Peachy will let you know

I suggested the theme myself, well i suggested mobile phone shots. A great leveller, but even then you've maybe got a few flash ones. But the way AB has phrased it you could be shooting on a Hasselblad H4D :eek:

Logon or register to see this image

Yes, that is what I thought, that automatic on a quality DSLR isn't quite the same as a shonky mobile phone, so hardly a leveller. Post production shouldn't be allowed nor DSLR/SLRs imo - but it's not my competition and I'm just aiming to get something in focus :oops: (with an autofocus P&S).

How can you tell if a picture has been taken on auto anyway?
The exif data surely just tells you what the camera decided for you.

Logon or register to see this image

Yes, that is what I thought, that automatic on a quality DSLR isn't quite the same as a shonky mobile phone, so hardly a leveller. Post production shouldn't be allowed nor DSLR/SLRs imo - but it's not my competition and I'm just aiming to get something in focus :oops: (with an autofocus P&S).

How can you tell if a picture has been taken on auto anyway?
The exif data surely just tells you what the camera decided for you.

Listed under the heading Exposure Program in EXIF it will say Auto. Plus I have noticed on my D3100 that on auto it can use iso 120 for example when i can only manually enter 100, 200, 400 etc. I am pretty sure this is a limitation of a low end dslr like.

Alright then. I'll take Auto out of the theme.

I can't take PP out as a lot of people, myself included, use PP apps such as Hipstamatic on their phones. Most phone cameras do some PP don't they?

I'm not an expert at this by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back