Favourite players in different periods.

My first hero was Gary Rowell - same school as me. Followed by Marco, then Julio and then Defoe. Now? Well I'm not so sure there's anyone even remotely close.

My first hero was Gary Rowell - same school as me. Followed by Marco, then Julio and then Defoe. Now? Well I'm not so sure there's anyone even remotely close.

Similar to me to be honest, but maybe SKP included to that list too??

maybe being a 51 year old changes things, but hard to find a “favourite” player currently?

Shaun elliott
Dave buchanon
Eric gates
Paul lemon
Marco
Keiron brady
Martin smith
Phil gray
Micky gray
Tony Norman

Then i left school 95 and struggled to have a fave although all of reidys team qualify and lorik cana

Shaun elliott
Dave buchanon
Eric gates
Paul lemon
Marco
Keiron brady
Martin smith
Phil gray
Micky gray
Tony Norman

Then i left school 95 and struggled to have a fave although all of reidys team qualify and lorik cana
Some good players there Paul.
I go back a bit further so,Billy Hughes ,Dave Watson , Tony Towers and Gary Rowell added to your last.Also liked Gordon Armstrong.
LIST.... not last.

Last edited:

Seaham lad then
Halom, Tueart, Hughes, Watson. What would they be worth today? Anyone heard any news about Billy?

Rowell, Arnott

Bennet

Marco, Bally

Quinn, SKP, Makin

Defoe

Nobody

Last edited:
Shaun elliott
Dave buchanon
Eric gates
Paul lemon
Marco
Keiron brady
Martin smith
Phil gray
Micky gray
Tony Norman

I thought Buchanan had summit. He was no worse than a lot who were picked regular to save mc menemys face. Right place wrong time for him I’m afraid.

Todd
Suggett
Harris
Harvey
Halom
Arnott
Worthington
Dibble
Buchanan
Bracewell
Byrne
Marco
Smith
Arca
Big Alf
Henderson
Mvilla

Strangely enough I couldn’t pick out anyone from the best 2 teams of ours I’ve seen apart from Halom who’s the greatest player in the history of the game so doesn’t reveal any preferences on my part as to which style or position I prefer. Nor anyone since Mvilla either.....

Dibble
Arca
Arnott
Smith
Byrne
Worthington
As a six aside team anyone?

Vic Halom
Tony Towers
Joe Bolton
Wayne Entwhistle (he was shite, but I loved him!)
Gary Rowell
Bally
Magic Johnstone (the none sex offender)
Seb
Alas, not many since...

Todd
Suggett
Harris
Harvey
Halom
Arnott
Worthington
Dibble
Buchanan
Bracewell
Byrne
Marco
Smith
Arca
Big Alf
Henderson
Mvilla

Strangely enough I couldn’t pick out anyone from the best 2 teams of ours I’ve seen apart from Halom who’s the greatest player in the history of the game so doesn’t reveal any preferences on my part as to which style or position I prefer. Nor anyone since Mvilla either.....

Dibble
Arca
Arnott
Smith
Byrne
Worthington
As a six aside team anyone?
Aye,I left the UK in the 70s Perhaps Neil Martin should be added to your first list,how the hell did did you miss off the brilliant George Herd.
I liked big Cec Irwin

Joe Bolton coming through was special.

Martin Harvey was very good.
Watson was majestic,his makeweight was good too Jeff Clarke

Towers and Porter field controlling games.

Bobby Parke sadly injured.Ritchie Pitt may have been a legend,injury again.
John Latham seemed to score a goal every game but couldn' t get a game.

Tueart,and of course Suggett looking so cool and calm making scoring look easy.

The sheer strength ,skill and power of hi ho hi ho it' s off to Mexico,with Colin Todd in the squad hi ho hi ho.

Had some gooduns

Aye,I left the UK in the 70s Perhaps Neil Martin should be added to your first list,how the hell did did you miss off the brilliant George Herd.
I liked big Cec Irwin

The sheer strength ,skill and power of hi ho hi ho it' s off to Mexico,with Colin Todd in the squad hi ho hi ho.

Had some gooduns
I remember John Lathan when I first started going to Roker Park with my old man and grandfather. Sunderland wearing white shorts.
Others on the fringe who I recall were Brian Chambers and Keith Coleman (who went to West Ham).Along with Lathan these 3 seemed good players. Could an older fan confirm or is my memory jaded?
Red haired Mick McGiven was another player of that time. What was he like?

I liked big Cec Irwin

Had some gooduns
I was only a bairn when Herd was playing so won’t have “seen” it. My dads marras used to tell me Todd was still at school!......which gave us all hope!
I remember John Lathan when I first started going to Roker Park with my old man and grandfather. Sunderland wearing white shorts.
Others on the fringe who I recall were Brian Chambers and Keith Coleman (who went to West Ham).Along with Lathan these 3 seemed good players. Could an older fan confirm or is my memory jaded?
Red haired Mick McGiven was another player of that time. What was he like?
Chambers went to Arsenal and Coleman n McGiven to WHU so they must’ve had summit.

Last edited:
Phillips
Sean Thornton (lol)
Marcus Stewart
Julio Arca
Carlos Edwards
Djibril Cisse
Darren Bent
Asamoah Gyan
Sessegnon
Borini
Defoe