favorite & inspirational photog's & photo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde

Winger
there was a thread on the main board about fave/iconic rock n roll images, got me thinking...who inspires you? who's work do ya love? doesnt have to be a pro's work, could just be a flickr contact...

one of mine..

Martha Cooper - Martha has been taking pics since the 50's, worked for national geographic and the new york times, she loved taking pics of street kids in new york's ghetto's, that's where she saw graffiti for the first time and met graffiti writers and started to document there work on the new york subway, she was responsible along with Henry Chalfont in bringing out the book "Subway Art" (the most shoplifted book of all time), still to this day she is photographing graffiti and hip hop culture around the world and i actually met her one day in Barcelona in 2006..unreal to meet a true hero and legend.

here is some of her work
Logon or register to see this image

Annie Leibovitz has taken many well known photographs. I'm not sure I have a favourite photographer. Will have to think about favourite photograph. I have always been more into looking at paintings. On a more "local" basis, APB's pictures have caught my eye in the competition.

Definitely Henri Cartier Bresson for me.

When I started taking photographs I did a lot of "street" and candid stuff without really knowing what I was looking for. After I saw Cartier Bresson's work something just clicked with me.

I believe it to be a photograph, Annie Liebovitz is a famous portrait photographer, but I personally think some of her work comes across as a bit dated now.

And of course she almost lost the rights to all her work due to not having a scooby how to manager her financial affairs.

Wiki said:
In February 2009, Leibovitz borrowed $15.5 million, having experienced financial challenges in the recent years.[28] She put up as collateral, not only several houses, but the rights to all of her photographs.[29] The New York Times noted “one of the world’s most successful photographers essentially pawned every snap of the shutter she had made or will make until the loans are paid off.”[28] In July 2009, a breach of contract lawsuit against Leibovitz was filed by Art Capital Group in the amount of $24 million regarding the repayment of these loans

Last edited:
An honourable mention must go to the Side Gallery. It has served our region magnificently, by bringing the best of world photography to the North East, and also by commissioning some superb exhibitions documenting the North East over the last 30 years.

From those whose work I saw there I would single out:

1. John Davies (commissioned by the Side to do "Durham Coalfield" in about 1983, and then "Durham Coalfield Revisited" 20 or so years later):

Enjoy browsing through his work here

2. Jimmy Forsyth, who used to wander round Newcastle looking like a really grimy disgusting tramp, but who for many decades created a wonderful photographic record of the city:

3. ... and Anonymous. I know there's those who think that we Sunderland folk have to despise anything to do with Newcastle, but I can't agree:

I was lucky enough to discover the Side when a teenager; it was inspirational and I can't believe it's taken me so long to actually have a go myself.

It's morning and I'm afraid I'm back on my hobby horse of the Side Gallery and John Davies in particular.

For me personally, this pic has become the iconic shot of Sunderland, partly because it was used on the Side Gallery's poster for "Durham Coalfield", which I bought and which hung on my wall for many years:

And then he went back to the very same spot 20 years later:

Sorry I could not find it any bigger.

Sorry to blither on and hijack the thread a bit, but the Side Gallery's work is magnificent and was very influential on me as a youngster.

is that a painting?

Heavily retouched portraiture. Her stuff for The Sopranos is utterly sublime. It's worth buying the DVDs just for it.

Definitely Henri Cartier Bresson for me.

When I started taking photographs I did a lot of "street" and candid stuff without really knowing what I was looking for. After I saw Cartier Bresson's work something just clicked with me.

Seconded.

There is no better imo.

All his shots are, ostensibly, snapshots. Technically so-so, using featuring people and places of little significance. But you can just lose yourself in them. There's always something going on - a small emotion that turns a mundane scene into something profound.

Apparently he'd just spend hours and hours every single day shooting what he saw with his discreet Leica. I think that's why I'm such a fan. I'll never have the access and studio of Liebovitz or Rankin, and I'll never get to see war zones like Kevin Carter or James Nachtwey. However, I can walk around a city with a little camera taking pictures of normal people, and one day it's just possible that I could be lucky enough to get a shot that's a fraction as good as a HCB shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back