Father's day if they're still here or in memoriam

Vito

Central Defender
My dad introduced me to safc in the 90s and i had about 14 years of watching the lads with him. Sadly he lost the fight to pancreatic cancer in 2017. At 26 years old I wasn't sure I would continue following The lads without him but here I am still following in his footsteps. Let's raise a glass to all the men who showed us the way, it might feel like a curse sometimes but it gave me memories that a lot of my non football supporting friends will never know. If you're lucky enough to still have your old man give him a f***ing massive hug tonight and savour every moment!

My dad introduced me to safc in the 90s and i had about 14 years of watching the lads with him. Sadly he lost the fight to pancreatic cancer in 2017. At 26 years old I wasn't sure I would continue following The lads without him but here I am still following in his footsteps. Let's raise a glass to all the men who showed us the way, it might feel like a curse sometimes but it gave me memories that a lot of my non football supporting friends will never know. If you're lucky enough to still have your old man give him a f***ing massive hug tonight and savour every moment!
Lovely post!!

Said this before. I am 56 my dad died when I was 10. In those few years we went camping to Plsnky Mill, canoeing, climbing and The Isle of Skye. He taught me to swim, play football, fish and everything and when he went I was devastated. My mum was both mam and Dad but without him I was a. I have a son who 24 I would give him my last breath to. I am married for the 3rd time and I love my wife but without a responsibiliyt I am rudderless.

Me fatha is 85 and took me to my first match in 76 (1-0 defeat to Liverpool).

He's one of those strange bunch that loved Sunderland but went to Sunderland one week and the mags the next. Thought it was just normal but only ever considered himself a fan of Sunderland.

Not in the best of health these days. The onset of dementia is gathering pace but he's still a happy as Larry when we do our weekly Facetime thing.

Sad to see a huge unit of a man as a fairly frail old bloke, but at least he's still here... and I love him!

Me fatha: me hero.

I didn’t have smooth relations with my old man and he died when I was 18 so we never had a chance to get past all the teenage rebellion bollocks and become friends.
Maybe that made me and my Mam closer?
Anyway the more I’ve studied about history the more I’ve come to understand and respect him. As a WW2 Lancaster pilot it’s understandable that he didn’t make friends easily, living through a time when your best mate could easily be shot out of the sky while you hear him and his crew mates screaming and burning in your headphones.
Being a dad came late to me but I love it and my greatest hope is to be a good dad to my youn un.
Best wishes to all the proper dads out there who participate fully in the lives of their bairns.

I lost my Dad about 4 years ago. He'd had Parkinson's for over 10 years and a once proud, strong man was fading away fast in the end. I don't wish him back the way he was.

He was at the match the day I was born :) I arrived at 5PM on Boxing Day just before he returned home.

He never took me to the match. His support waned as soon as he had kids. He was too busy working providing for his family. He did a very decent job considering he never knew his own Dad. He ran off with a tart during the war, according to his Ma!

I used to follow him around all over as a bairn "jobbing on" and helping him with DIY stuff. Loved watching the footy with him and going to the match. We clashed when I was a teen but he was normally fair and explained things rationally, like why I couldn't go nightclubbing when I was 15, rather than just yelling at me. Got close again as an adult and he was like a best mate. Had the same sense of humour and we often got bollocked off my Mam for acting daft or winding her up. All he ever wanted to talk about was football. Even when he was on his way to theatre for major heart surgery, he rang me from the prep room as he needed to know the previous nights football results! Losing him has been the hardest thing I've ever gone through and I still miss him greatly.

Back