FAO Veterans..... Can you recall which club (excluding the Mags)...

Luna17

Winger
.... first brought a decent contingent of followers to RP?

Away travel wasn't very prevalent in t'olden days except big FA cup games and of course derby matches, and I can't recall any in the late 60s (even Man United) tho I was very much a young un between 66 and 70.

Probably the first club for me was Blackpool 74 when they were going for promotion and had possibly up to 6/700 in the RE. Beat them 2-1 with a TT special.

Away travel wasn't very prevalent in t'olden days except big FA cup games and of course derby matches, and I can't recall any in the late 60s (even Man United) tho I was very much a young un between 66 and 70.

Probably the first club for me was Blackpool 74 when they were going for promotion and had possibly up to 6/700 in the RE. Beat them 2-1 with a TT special.
TT ??

Man Utd used to fill the reduced Roker so 6-7K. Always thought when all of them gave it "United, United......" it was the real deal cause it appeared every single one of them was giving it a go. You find out later what horrible bunch of big city scroates they really are.

They were 1-0 up when Tony scored. For the 15 minutes before that, I'd been watching the Fulwell empty and the Roker fill. As the goal went in, it all kicked off in the Roker - Blackpool scattering in all directions; I remember seeing one lad jump down pone of the Roker stairwells to get away.

They were 1-0 up when Tony scored. For the 15 minutes before that, I'd been watching the Fulwell empty and the Roker fill. As the goal went in, it all kicked off in the Roker - Blackpool scattering in all directions; I remember seeing one lad jump down pone of the Roker stairwells to get away.

And it's definitely not an urban myth that some of the Blackpool fans were chased into the seas after the match!

Man Utd used to fill the reduced Roker so 6-7K. Always thought when all of them gave it "United, United......" it was the real deal cause it appeared every single one of them was giving it a go. You find out later what horrible bunch of big city scroates they really are.
Not in the 60s they didn't.
Jan 75 they were given CS paddock (which they didn't fill) and a few seats. We took 10000 to OT in the November (and what a game).
April 77, when they were supposed to be bringing 15000 as it was the last away game before the ban, they brought barely 4000.

Palace had a lot for the whittle goal game
March 76.
I was in RE and don't recall seeing many except a canny few in the seats.
Boro brought a huge following in 1974, which was the season they won the league in a canter under Jack Charlton.

Aaah yes, that was probably before Blackpool. Huge? Don't think there was 5000 there mind.
In 74-75 fa cup lost 3-1,there was easily 7000 safc at AP.

Last edited:
March 76.
I was in RE and don't recall seeing many except a canny few in the seats.
They weren’t in colours. Singing that Eagles song that requires no gestures or facial movement made them hard to spot but there was hundreds in the Roker End. I was in amongst them and tried to get away but everywhere we went there was a new group around us.

Utd had the large section of the Roker end and some part of the clock stand in the Fa Cup circa 85. The fences nearly caved in when Sunderland were trying to charge it down to get at Utd in the Clock Satnd. It was 0-0 and we lost the replay 3-0 I think. Jesper Olsson two penalties?
Utd had the large section of the Roker end and some part of the clock stand in the Fa Cup circa 85. The fences nearly caved in when Sunderland were trying to charge it down to get at Utd in the Clock Satnd. It was 0-0 and we lost the replay 3-0 I think. Jesper Olsson two penalties?

Apologies, didnt read the above :/

Last edited:
My first proper season 1983/84

Birmingham filled the Roker Corner in the cup 1500 maybe.

Noisy and went crackers when they scored a late winner.

Glasgow Celtic pre season friendly 1967, over 10,000 including fish bowls of whisky being passed around and bayonets swung in the air. There seemed to be grandmothers, grandads and their families near me in the clock stand. They were all over the ground. Some came on the Friday and went back on the Sunday.

Back