Fans of West Wing Weekly podcast or Buffyverse

fyl2u

Striker
I'm toying with the idea of doing an episode-by-episode podcast for the TV show Angel, the spinoff of Buffy The Vampire Slayer using The West Wing Weekly Podcast as my inspiration/template for the show.

This year sees the 20th annivsary of Angel and it remains one of my favourite shows of all time.

There have been other podcasts for the show that do a similar thing, but none of them that I've listened to have really hit the spot for me, and with it being the 20th anniversary I feel that it's the right time to think about creating a new one with a slightly different angle.

I'm at the earliest of stages of thinking about planning it, but I'd be interested in co-hosting with either fans of Angel, fans of the Buffyverse in general, fans of the West Wing Weekly who are open to watching a show they may or may not already know but are fans of the show-by-show podcast format, or indeed anyone who thinks they can co-host a podcast and has the personality and motivation to follow through.

My intention is to do an hour-ish-long show every couple of weeks, so that the podcast follows the TV schedule plus twenty years, more or less. That means a five year commitment of roughly 110 episodes, 22ish per year, where you'd watch one episode every few weeks, make notes, maybe do a bit of research into actors, interviews etc. and spend a couple of hours every few weeks chatting about each episode.

If it does well, there may be a tiny bit of cash for it, but really you should be doing it for the experience and the fun of it.

Sound like something anyone might be interested in?

fans of the West Wing Weekly who are open to watching a show they may or may not already know but are fans of the show-by-show podcast format
I love the West Wing Weekly but would have absolutely no interest in a show like Buffy or Angel.
Good luck though.
Couple of observations. I think WWW works because of them being able to tap into insiders. Would be pretty difficult to replicate that.
Whilst you won't know if it will take off, I would suggest recording at least half a dozen up front so you aren't constantly racing to get it out and hit deadlines.

I'm toying with the idea of doing an episode-by-episode podcast for the TV show Angel, the spinoff of Buffy The Vampire Slayer using The West Wing Weekly Podcast as my inspiration/template for the show.

This year sees the 20th annivsary of Angel and it remains one of my favourite shows of all time.

There have been other podcasts for the show that do a similar thing, but none of them that I've listened to have really hit the spot for me, and with it being the 20th anniversary I feel that it's the right time to think about creating a new one with a slightly different angle.

I'm at the earliest of stages of thinking about planning it, but I'd be interested in co-hosting with either fans of Angel, fans of the Buffyverse in general, fans of the West Wing Weekly who are open to watching a show they may or may not already know but are fans of the show-by-show podcast format, or indeed anyone who thinks they can co-host a podcast and has the personality and motivation to follow through.

My intention is to do an hour-ish-long show every couple of weeks, so that the podcast follows the TV schedule plus twenty years, more or less. That means a five year commitment of roughly 110 episodes, 22ish per year, where you'd watch one episode every few weeks, make notes, maybe do a bit of research into actors, interviews etc. and spend a couple of hours every few weeks chatting about each episode.

If it does well, there may be a tiny bit of cash for it, but really you should be doing it for the experience and the fun of it.

Sound like something anyone might be interested in?
Loved Buffy & Angel...........said whilst glancing across at my Buffy, Willow and The Master display figures, standing in front of a small, hand made stained glass arched window ;):cool:.

What's the link between the West wing and buffy/angel?

Purely the quality of the writing. Angel and The West Wing are my two all-time favourite shows, and The West Wing Weekly Podcast is the best TV show podcast I've come across, so I want to use it as my template for the Angel podcast.

I love the West Wing Weekly but would have absolutely no interest in a show like Buffy or Angel.
Good luck though.
Couple of observations. I think WWW works because of them being able to tap into insiders. Would be pretty difficult to replicate that.
Whilst you won't know if it will take off, I would suggest recording at least half a dozen up front so you aren't constantly racing to get it out and hit deadlines.

Good advice, and I agree about the WWW success thing. While I'm not even at step one of starting this podcast, I intend to attempt to get guests that had something to do with the show in the same way WWW does.

I know that Tim Minear (writer/director on some of Angel's best episodes, creator of American Horror Story, Wonferfalls and Terriers amongst others) has been very happy to appear on other Angel podcasts and is very active on social media with regard to his past content, so if this podcast idea happens I'll be intending to contact him to appear and to put me in contact with other cast and crew to get them on to chat about their input on the show.

As for you not being interested in the Buffyverse, I was never into the original Buffy TV show, but while Angel is set in the same universe it is very much intended for an adult audience rather than the Buffy teen audience. It is a far superior show in my opinion, and I'm interested in recruiting at least one person who hasn't ever seen the show to give a different perspective.

Wonderfalls*

Think the success of the west wing weekly is down to having the ex cast member with all the inside knowledge. Would be very hard to get a decent following without that imho

Very true, and attempting to get a cast or major crew member involved is near the top of my list of things to do to make it happen. Seeing how much Tim Minear is happy to get involved with this kind of thing makes me optimistic that I might be able to find someone from the show that might be interested.

Loved Buffy & Angel...........said whilst glancing across at my Buffy, Willow and The Master display figures, standing in front of a small, hand made stained glass arched window ;):cool:.

A Buffycentric female perspective is definitely an angle I'd be interested in having on the show if you think you'd be up for it?

Last edited:
Purely the quality of the writing. Angel and The West Wing are my two all-time favourite shows, and The West Wing Weekly Podcast is the best TV show podcast I've come across, so I want to use it as my template for the Angel podcast.

Good advice, and I agree about the WWW success thing. While I'm not even at step one of starting this podcast, I intend to attempt to get guests that had something to do with the show in the same way WWW does.

I know that Tim Minear (writer/director on some of Angel's best episodes, creator of American Horror Story, Wonferfalls and Terriers amongst others) has been very happy to appear on other Angel podcasts and is very active on social media with regard to his past content, so if this podcast idea happens I'll be intending to contact him to appear and to put me in contact with other cast and crew to get them on to chat about their input on the show.

As for you not being interested in the Buffyverse, I was never into the original Buffy TV show, but while Angel is set in the same universe it is very much intended for an adult audience rather than the Buffy teen audience. It is a far superior show in my opinion, and I'm interested in recruiting at least one person who hasn't ever seen the show to give a different perspective.

Wonderfalls*

Very true, and attempting to get a cast or major crew member involved is near the top of my list of things to do to make it happen. Seeing how much Tim Minear is happy to get involved with this kind of thing makes me optimistic that I might be able to find someone from the show that might be interested.

A Buffycentric female perspective is definitely an angle I'd be interested in having on the show if you think you'd be up for it?
I only have a face for radio fella :lol: and obviously Andy Hallet and Glenn Quinn are dead but there are plenty of others to choose from.

Back