RR Fan Letters: “Forget physicality - Sunderland need to sign and develop technical players!”

RTG

Robot
Staff member
“Fans need to stop calling for signings which are ‘big’ and ‘physical’, and back the manager to develop a system using technical players which allows us to play better football” says RR reader Jay Hughes. Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, Fans need to stop calling for signings which are ‘big’ and ‘physical’, and back the...

More at Roker Report...

RR reader Simon Hetherington offers up his assessment of the season, indicating that whilst ultimately it ended in disappointment we have lots to build and improve on. Ownership The club was in an absolute free-fall when Donald arrived, both on and off the pitch. He and his team have, so it seems, done a fantastic job to steady the ship...

More at Roker Report...

“Did ANY of the players we brought in on loan this season really add more than we would have had from Embleton, Kimpioka and Mumba?” says RR reader Andrew White. Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, I’ve been reading a lot about our younger players and the need to loan some of them out and this is a subject I’ve written to you...

More at Roker Report...

“I know I’ll be slagged off for being so negative but I think we have peaked. I think we have a bunch of small businessmen who are simply not big enough for our club” writes RR reader Alan Fenwick. Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, For no particular reason I binged watched the mocumentary “The Office” last week. That’s the...

More at Roker Report...

Sunderland’s recruitment team have came in for plenty of stick since the season ended, but RR reader Colter Lastley feels Tony Coton deserves more time to get things right. What do you think? Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, It is important that Mr. Coton and Mr. Ross get a chance to show what type of recruitment system they...

More at Roker Report...

“My own theory is that we just ran out of steam, probably from playing too many games, especially in a short amount of time at the end of the season.” writes RR reader John Briggs. Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, I’ve been reading all the letters and everyone’s theories as to why we failed to get promoted. The blame has...

More at Roker Report...

RR readers Baz and Cain both feel that Jack Ross should be sacked - with one of them suggesting Nigel Pearson as a possible replacement. Woof! Do you think Stewart Donald is right to stick by his man? Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, Jack Ross is not up to the Sunderland job, tactics are no good - score first and sit back to...

More at Roker Report...

“What are Mr Donald and Mr Sartori doing with the millions they get from the sale, are they putting it back into the club or putting it into their bank accounts?” writes RR reader Jeff Smithson. Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, I hear Stewart Donald and Juan Sartori have sold shares of Sunderland AFC to an American and...

More at Roker Report...

“I think that it’s time for the fans to start supporting Sunderland” writes RR reader Johnny, whilst Veronica discusses Maja leaving and Rob thinks Cattermole is a ‘legend’ who we need to keep next season. But what do you think? Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, Why do Sunderland fans think Ross was behind Maja leaving? As far...

More at Roker Report...

With more questions regarding Sunderland’s parachute payments, the morals of Stewart Donald, and Ellis Short, we attempt once and for all to clear things up. Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, I read the Dave Taggart email and as you know from my previous emails, I agree with him. I am really concerned that the passion of our...

More at Roker Report...

“I do think it’s worrying that we may be repeating the mistakes of this last season” writes RR reader Colter L. Lasley. Are you worried, or content? Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, I have no idea if these rumors of the club being sold again are true, nor whether the possible new owner will be good or bad for the club....

More at Roker Report...

“My message to supporters is ‘look at the bigger picture’ as to whether to replace Jack Ross with a hasty decision” writes RR reader Matthew Stan. Do you think the manager will get Sunderland promoted? Email us: [email protected]! It is inevitable following a disappointment that the immediate reaction of most supporters is to call for...

More at Roker Report...

Does Jack Ross need to prove himself to the Sunderland supporters again this summer, and show that we can play a better, more expansive attacking style of football? Our readers have their say. Email us: [email protected]! Dear Roker Report, Back in February I wrote to you about my concerns that we would not be able to provide the creative...

More at Roker Report...

Reading posts about formations and players to bring in etc. and in particular the first letter from this fan letters bit on RR website got me thinking.

Fan Letters: Is it time for Sunderland & Jack Ross to have a tactical rethink this summer?

I think a diamond formation might not be too bad for us and I'm confident we already have the perfect defensive midfielder at the club and it's none of the current incumbents or anyone (I believe) who has been mentioned already.

That man is Mr O'Nien. The lad has had his defensive schooling at right back last season and is a natural midfielder. The energy he brings to the side and his fitness levels would be perfect for what a proper DM does and although not the tallest, the boy doesn't half rise like a salmon! I think this lad could be a lynchpin in our side next season if played in that role.

Nah, he has impressed, did what was asked of him last year and hopefully can continue to improve but for me passing is the worst part of his game atm and a solid DM needs to be able to move the ball quickly and confidently

Nah, he has impressed, did what was asked of him last year and hopefully can continue to improve but for me passing is the worst part of his game atm and a solid DM needs to be able to move the ball quickly and confidently
Maybe a top DM needs to be like that and he does have time to improve his passing but how many players in L1 can you honestly say are top passers of the ball. He would allow the team to push up and stop sitting so deep which was our biggest problem last year. Work on his passing and he could do well there IMO.

Back