Fan expectations and how that impacts the club

This is an interesting way to put it and gives a way a little of the psychology potentially hindering the club.

The club is not your plaything to abuse, even if you pay for tickets and merchandise, and being working class doesn't give you the right to obfuscate criticism, I am working class, born to teenage parents in Witherwack and earn below the average national wage. It is the collective responsibility of the fanbase to support the club, and that includes supporting the club through the shit, not just calling them sacks of shite and abusing them.

FFS, please actually read the posts in full, the fans play their part, they are an element of the clubs success and failure, they are not the sole cause of either.
The fans played absolutely no part in us ending up in league one. Absolutely mental if you think that.

So why isn’t it for Liverpool? Chelsea? Real Madrid?
Before Klopp, Liverpool fans were heaping loads of pressure on the team.

How often were people on here taking the piss out of Arsenal fans having a pop at Wenger? I have said it before and I will say it again if you think fans are a reason why the club are doing well then they must be part of the reason the club is failing when things go badly.

This is an interesting way to put it and gives a way a little of the psychology potentially hindering the club.

The club is not your plaything to abuse, even if you pay for tickets and merchandise, and being working class doesn't give you the right to obfuscate criticism, I am working class, born to teenage parents in Witherwack and earn below the average national wage. It is the collective responsibility of the fanbase to support the club, and that includes supporting the club through the shit, not just calling them sacks of shite and abusing them.

FFS, please actually read the posts in full, the fans play their part, they are an element of the clubs success and failure, they are not the sole cause of either.

What a load of drivel
Mate I am the fans, I am having a pop at myself, why so sensitive?

So you are one of those "abusing" the players then?

Before Klopp, Liverpool fans were heaping loads of pressure on the team.

How often were people on here taking the piss out of Arsenal fans having a pop at Wenger? I have said it before and I will say it again if you think fans are a reason why the club are doing well then they must be part of the reason the club is failing when things go badly.
Fans have no bearing how successful or unsuccessful a club is. They can make a difference during a game. A well ran club, with better recruitment, more money will always do better than a badly ran club. We’ve been badly ran for decades. It’s a fact.
The fans played absolutely no part in us ending up in league one. Absolutely mental if you think that.
Scary that a fan can think that.

Fans have no bearing how successful or unsuccessful a club is. They can make a difference during a game. A well ran club, with better recruitment, more money will always do better than a badly ran club. We’ve been badly ran for decades. It’s a fact.

It most certainly is.

Yep.

Jeez, our expectations have been low for years. However, we continue to hope, and to support. That's not 'expectations'.

I fundamentally disagree with that like, They can be the twelve man and inspire on to greater things, equally when the crowd erupts with groans from a wayward pass or things are getting a bit heavy, it can also have a detrimental affect which inevitably gets worse both on and of the pitch.

I fundamentally disagree with that like, They can be the twelve man and inspire on to greater things, equally when the crowd erupts with groans from a wayward pass or things are getting a bit heavy, it can also have a detrimental affect which inevitably gets worse both on and of the pitch.
The better managers never use it as an excuse and say the players need to turn it round and use the crowd.

Only failing managers will blame it. Its the same in pretty much every decent sized crowd in the country.

But he’s staying we are in league one and not a successful side due to the fans. I’ve stated on this thread fans can be the 12th man during matches. But we aren’t responsible for how well the club is ran, the recruitment and execution of the plan

But he’s staying we are in league one and not a successful side due to the fans. I’ve stated on this thread fans can be the 12th man during matches. But we aren’t responsible for how well the club is ran, the recruitment and execution of the plan

:lol:

Aye, the fans are soley responsible for our failures, there are no other factors, it’s all on the fans, 100% of it, 0% is down to Short and Methven etc thick as a short plank man. :lol:

The fans can be an asset, in a way that is not possible for many others. The opposite is also true.
The better managers never use it as an excuse and say the players need to turn it round and use the crowd.

Only failing managers will blame it. Its the same in pretty much every decent sized crowd in the country.
You read Furgusibs first book where he bangs in about the importance of a supportive crowd?
Edit. Ferguson

Last edited:

Mate I'm not on about a David Moyes or Steve Bruce waggling a finger of blame or a big Sam on the other spectrum, My point was, Fans can have a bearing as to the success or no success on any club, its probably minimal and ultimately player talent/boardroom purchases are the barometer, but it can still have a bearing (the feel good factor or the groan of a 19pt season.

Your right we are not responsible in anyway with regards to thick end decisions which ultimately steer you/us a course. We can have an input though however minimal it might be either way.

Last edited:
:lol:

Aye, the fans are soley responsible for our failures, there are no other factors, it’s all on the fans, 100% of it, 0% is down to Short and Methven etc thick as a short plank man. :lol:
So are newcastle fans more or less demanding than us? If they start winning trophies and become the club they want to be is it down to their fans?

No. It’s down to having a clear plan, recruiting the best players and having a good manager whilst spending shit loads. Can their fans make a difference? Sure during games they like us can be a 12th man.

Are you seriously suggestion Sunderland fans expectations are more than newcastle? More than Liverpool? Cos that’s what your suggesting, that somehow our expectation is holding the club back or derailing progress. It’s laughable man :lol:

Are you seriously suggestion Sunderland fans expectations are more than newcastle? More than Liverpool? Cos that’s what your suggesting, that somehow our expectation is holding the club back or derailing progress. It’s laughable man :lol:

Are you okay mate? Every single post you’re fabricating a story, I’ve not said any of this, you’ve created it out of thin air, do you understand the concept of strawmanning? You’ve created a narrative to refute all on your own.

Are you okay mate? Every single post you’re fabricating a story, I’ve not said any of this, you’ve created it out of thin air, do you understand the concept of strawmanning? You’ve created a narrative to refute all on your own.
Given the reaction on here, that no one agrees with you the question is are you ok?

You’ve stated our fans are too demanding, which has led to us not being very good. That view doesn’t stack up when we are no different to any other fan base.

You’re obviously struggle to grasp that the reason we haven’t been a successful side is we’ve been poorly ran. Nothing more or less. Stop blaming the fans for having any part of it. It’s methven levels of bile.

I don't think it'll be any sort of problem, certainly not this season. There's still a feel-good factor from Wembley and I reckon the vast majority are just happy to be out of League One.
A mid-table season with some bits of good football and a young team looking capable of progressing will do me.

The argument is too simplistic.

The size of the club and fanbase definitely hindered us at times in League One. We spent a decade in the Premier League them plummeted to our lowest point within one season, naturally we expected to get promoted fairly sharpish but signed players who'd spent their entire careers playing in front of 5-10k competing around the top half of League One. They couldn't handle the pressure or the expectations and crumbled at the business end of the season every year. But is that really the fans fault and should we have just accepted being a top half League One side when we're a total anomoly at that level? It's no coincidence that we finally got our act together when we appointed a proven manager from the level above and signed players who'd spent time at Premier League and Championship level and saw League One as a temporary backwards step, which is exactly what it should have been for us.

On the flip side, I always thought our expectations were far too low in the Premier League. A lot of people just accepted any old shite as long as we beat the Mags and stayed up and the club got very lazy and complacent. We signed a load of knackers who couldn't give a fuck but any sign of dissatisfaction was met with 'we don't want to be like the Mags'. We allowed the club to get away with it.

Anyway, going back to that Huddersfield fan, I think it is more the case that well-run, upwardly mobile clubs are naturally more primed to do well than a bigger club who are run-poorly.

What about Man Utd?

They're in constant meltdown, unable to recapture their former glories and the fanbase cannot take it.
Man Utd fans seem to never be on their players backs. Bit of a cult thing with them these days where its a big no no/badge of honour.
So why isn’t it for Liverpool? Chelsea? Real Madrid?
Because they're able to spend gazillions on players at the very top end? (not that long ago Liverpool fans would pile the pressure on let's not forget).

Last edited:
Man Utd fans seem to never be on their players backs. Bit of a cult thing with them these days where its a big no no/badge of honour.

Because they're able to spend gazillions on players at the very top end? (not that long ago Liverpool fans would pile the pressure on let's not forget).
Well bingo. It’s nothing to do with fans. It’s how much and how well you spend.

Back