Fallout 76

I had a couple of spells on the Beta - enjoyed it; plenty of quests to do by the looks of it, easy enough to avoid others if you wish or to join in; map seems massive so if you want to play it solo and explore you should be good to go
My lad is mad on the game and appears to have done his homework and is looking forward to it.Mentioned a few comments off here and he's still up for it.Power armor edition due any time

It’s getting absolutely slaughtered on YouTube. Jim Sterling absolutely takes it apart, and rightly so by the looks of it. Bethesda just need to bite the bullet and create a new game engine. It was creaking unbearably on Fallout 4, but the awful shooting mechanics were hidden by the VARs system, which you can’t do in an online game as it involves slowing game-time down. The ‘Bethesda Bugs’ have gone from being quirky and over-lookable due to the game world and story to just being laughable and game breaking.

It’s getting absolutely slaughtered on YouTube. Jim Sterling absolutely takes it apart, and rightly so by the looks of it. Bethesda just need to bite the bullet and create a new game engine. It was creaking unbearably on Fallout 4, but the awful shooting mechanics were hidden by the VARs system, which you can’t do in an online game as it involves slowing game-time down. The ‘Bethesda Bugs’ have gone from being quirky and over-lookable due to the game world and story to just being laughable and game breaking.

I thought the gameplay in 4 was spot on, just everything else that was shite.

Where to start…..I’m on PS4 by the way. Not a great beginning having a 41 gig day one patch to download…..

I’m a massive Fallout fan (and Elder Scrolls) but don’t do multiplayer so this hadn’t really been on my radar. However I got Destiny 2 for nowt and enjoyed it, including the few bits of multiplayer I tried so decided to give Fallout 76 a go. I want to like it, I really do. It’s nice to be back in the Fallout world, and it looks the same as graphically this isn’t exactly cutting edge. Graphics aren’t everything though, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed some really ugly games over the years. Two Worlds I’m think especially of you.

I’m a few hours in and it’s not great. Backgrounds keep flickering, had a few instances where buildings are failing to load properly as I get closer and a couple of times it’s just frozen as I’ve been defending myself from a few ghouls. Got jumped by a mirelurk that walked through a wall as well. The enemies so far are just plain ugly and feel as though they’ve come from Fallout 3 looking at them.

Gameplay wise Jedi is right combat feels clunky, always did in Fallout but VATS hid that. VATS now is shit, feels terrible so I’m hardly using it. My guns are underpowered at present, melee feels overpowered, ghouls that walk through three headshots from my 40 damage dealing hunting rifle are dead in two blows from my 21 damage machete. Saving is crap as there’s no actual save option, apparently this is standard in online? Not convinced going to the main menu and quitting is truly saving my progress and I miss having multiple saves to reload if I fuck up.

The survival thing is a little annoying, but I’m slowly getting used to having to eat and drink all the time. I’m guessing perks to reduce radiation damage and hunger/thirst will be more useful than in previous games.

I can see why people hate it. My expectations weren’t high and I’m still a little disappointed. Hopefully over time updates will see continual fixes and improvements. But I’m still looking forward to turning on the PS4 tonight…..

I bought it a couple of days ago on Ebay for £40 and have just navigated the NORAD style security to access my long dormant Bethesda account.
It is telling me 46GB and 7 hours to download :cry:

Where to start…..I’m on PS4 by the way. Not a great beginning having a 41 gig day one patch to download…..

I’m a massive Fallout fan (and Elder Scrolls) but don’t do multiplayer so this hadn’t really been on my radar. However I got Destiny 2 for nowt and enjoyed it, including the few bits of multiplayer I tried so decided to give Fallout 76 a go. I want to like it, I really do. It’s nice to be back in the Fallout world, and it looks the same as graphically this isn’t exactly cutting edge. Graphics aren’t everything though, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed some really ugly games over the years. Two Worlds I’m think especially of you.

I’m a few hours in and it’s not great. Backgrounds keep flickering, had a few instances where buildings are failing to load properly as I get closer and a couple of times it’s just frozen as I’ve been defending myself from a few ghouls. Got jumped by a mirelurk that walked through a wall as well. The enemies so far are just plain ugly and feel as though they’ve come from Fallout 3 looking at them.

Gameplay wise Jedi is right combat feels clunky, always did in Fallout but VATS hid that. VATS now is shit, feels terrible so I’m hardly using it. My guns are underpowered at present, melee feels overpowered, ghouls that walk through three headshots from my 40 damage dealing hunting rifle are dead in two blows from my 21 damage machete. Saving is crap as there’s no actual save option, apparently this is standard in online? Not convinced going to the main menu and quitting is truly saving my progress and I miss having multiple saves to reload if I fuck up.

The survival thing is a little annoying, but I’m slowly getting used to having to eat and drink all the time. I’m guessing perks to reduce radiation damage and hunger/thirst will be more useful than in previous games.

I can see why people hate it. My expectations weren’t high and I’m still a little disappointed. Hopefully over time updates will see continual fixes and improvements. But I’m still looking forward to turning on the PS4 tonight…..
I think the main thing that will be introduced over time is microtransactions. The randomised perk card thing is just ripe for monetisation. This game is Bethesda’s shot at the ‘games as a service’ model.

Back