Failing privately-run prison temporarily taken over by the government...

The country is failing on so many levels but the problem is I can't see anyway to fix it whoever is making the decisions at the top. People living longer, lack of respect in society, drugs, violent crime, terrorism, it's all getting totally out of control IMO e.g. There were about 4 armed response incidents in Darlo over the last couple of days, it's getting noticeably worse here that's for certain.

Privatisation, the first example of fake news. The lie that private companies were better prepared to deliver services than the corrupt, bloated Public sector was repeated sufficiently enough that it became the accepted truth. You reap what you sow.

...G4S’ punishment is they can’t have it back for six months.

'Crisis' prison taken over by government

The chief inspector of prisons says it’s the worst prison he’s ever been to.

How many more failures do G4S have to make before the government bins them? Time and time again it is G4S who are f***ing up.

Does the PM have business interests in G4S or something?
No but her husband apparently is a shareholder or something similar

It doesn't look good. They seem to be agreed that the prison population has to be slashed.
More lenient sentences, eg. More probation or suspended sentences ?
Or, just let them all out after half their time,regardless of whether they are a danger or not ?
Tough on crime, did someone say ?
I wouldn't want to be a Prison guard for 4 x what they get now.
Guards safety should come first.

Add into this the fact that private companies running the probation service are also being described as pi55 poor and you have the perfect storm. Keep them out of prison to be managed and it doesnt happen. Put them in prison to be managed and it doesnt happen

My wife has worked very closely with both private sector and public sector prisons in recent years.
A lot of the problems with both sectors are to do with the inability to attract the right type of prison officers.
20-30 years ago most of them were male, a lot were big imposing guys , all were educated to a certain standard, and the vast majority saw the career as a vocation.
The Demographic of a Prison Officer has altered beyond recognition in recent years in both public and private sector and neither sector appear to be able to attract the kind of PCO that they used to be able to
That coupled with the virtually unstoppable flow of drugs into prisons has made them considerably more dangerous than they were when my missus first got involved

Back