Failing privately-run prison temporarily taken over by the government...

...G4S’ punishment is they can’t have it back for six months.

'Crisis' prison taken over by government

The chief inspector of prisons says it’s the worst prison he’s ever been to.

How many more failures do G4S have to make before the government bins them? Time and time again it is G4S who are f***ing up.

Does the PM have business interests in G4S or something?

How many more failures do G4S have to make before the government bins them? Time and time again it is G4S who are f***ing up.

The new drugs like spice are having a massive effect on all prisons, not just private ones because they are so easy to smuggle in - not saying G4S are perfect - far from it , but all prisons are fighting a massive losing battle with drugs right now

Dangerous game putting vital services in the hands of private firms. History tells us over and over again that corners will be cut to ensure and maximise profit.

The impact of this on Prisons and Emergency Services is often life and death. Should not be allowed, we are toying with people's lives.

G4S' reputation surely is shite now mind? All the carry on with the Olympics, Police Control Rooms, Prisons - there will be many more.

Dangerous game putting vital services in the hands of private firms. History tells us over and over again that corners will be cut to ensure and maximise profit.

The impact of this on Prisons and Emergency Services is often life and death. Should not be allowed, we are toying with people's lives.

G4S' reputation surely is shite now mind? All the carry on with the Olympics, Police Control Rooms, Prisons - there will be many more.
There are major problems in HMPS and SPS prisons as well, it’s not just confined to the private prisons - I’m just glad that my family members who were involved in the prison services are no longer working for them because they are very dangerous places to be right now

There are major problems in HMPS and SPS prisons as well, it’s not just confined to the private prisons - I’m just glad that my family members who were involved in the prison services are no longer working for them because they are very dangerous places to be right now
You're right, well documented with the new synthetic opioids and what not spreading in the system.

The private ones tend to be the first ones to fail though due to mismanagement and lack of investment in resources.

You're right, well documented with the new synthetic opioids and what not spreading in the system.

The private ones tend to be the first ones to fail though due to mismanagement and lack of investment in resources.
When I was reading this earlier two trains of thought came to mind.

Either they’re doing all they can to maximise profit by cutting corners.

Or

The government are going with the lowest bidder this causing them to cut corners.

Neither scenario is beyond possibility.

I’m sure there is... But all vital services should have a minimum standard they are measured against and held accountable to and that minimum standard should be above basic and should be costed into each plan.

I think it does go back to the first point, unqualified (little to no experience) people making procurement decisions based on price or greedy corporations taking us for mugs.

prison officer must be one of the grimmest jobs around, the system has failed
My best man was one, very well trained and part of the national group of people who react to major situations (riots etc).
As the years went by, he said it got worse and worse. IIRC, he said when he joined there was a 1 in 20 chance of being assaulted each year, and when he left it was nearly 1 in 2.

Not at all surprised to see a private prison has failed. Its exactly what we should have expected.
The entire prison system is utterly broken, from purpose through to delivery.

Like with some other failed privatisation ventures, pay them loads, they fail to deliver, pull them out of the shit, give them back the contract and the fat cat bosses of the firms can continue to fill their own pockets.

The thing is is there anothe G4S who could take on the size of contract they have.

Back