Face coverings in England.

Can someone try and explain why your view on this reflects your political stance? In the US especially, it’s a clear dividing line

its not political at all. when did being a functioning member of society disappear? When did it become “me me me, I don’t want to”.
I think in many cases it's about vanity rather than politics.

farts are made up mostly of hydrogen and methane, which come from bacteria in the colon feasting on the parts of our meals we aren’t able to digest ourselves

As pubs are open ( they could have been kept shut) wearing masks in the pub would be worse than not wearing them. You can't drink with one on. If it was compulsory to wear one when moving about where are all these masks going to be whilst drinking? Laying on the tables? Gross. Removing masks won't be done hygienically by many anyway. Wearing them in shops, at least they will remain on whilst in the shop (supposedly). So the comparison between the two isn't really worth while.
Its really worthwhile tbf. How is it safe to not have to wear one whilst in a pub and not a supermarket?

One thing I have noticed on twitter from right wing commentators was that it was our patriotic duty to go out to shops pubs restraunts etc, but they are now seemingly throwing a hissy fit over having to wear a mask to protect themselves and other citizens andnayijg they will just shop online now. I just don't get it like.
It's scary how 'American' some posters on here sound in their views

Last edited:
Its really worthwhile tbf. How is it safe to not have to wear one whilst in a pub and not a supermarket?

Supermarkets are essential, especially now that the help with food supplies is stopping for vulnerable people.

People are less socially distant in a supermarket as they are moving around all the time and coming into closer contact with each other. In a pub you should remain in your designated table area.

what is the reason under 11s are exempt? just wondering
Probably concerns about tolerance.
Not understanding and just not wanting to wear them, much like many idiotic adults.
I guess you could make a case that they're smaller and less likely to spread over a wider area?
Then there's the fact that younger people generally have more efficacious nasal mucosa and probably less susceptibility to covid.
Those very young <2 would be unable to express any difficulties about breathing and there isn't widely available masks for them.

they also said their was no clear evidence of human to human transmission of the virus back in January
Which was correct. In the same briefing they also said it was possible there is transmission and that they needed further research to ascertain the presence of human to human transmission, other modes of transmission and sources of exposure. 3 days later they acknowledged possible evidence of human to human transmission.
2 days after that they said there was clear evidence.

Evidence based practise underpins healthcare across the world. Sadly people's understanding of this simple process is lacking.

I honestly can’t fathom the mind of someone who would refuse to wear one on some kind of political basis.

The attitude from the yanks that are refusing seems to be that wether or not it’s the right thing to do isn’t the point, it’s that the government doesn’t have the right to enforce it.

They’re arguing for the constitutional right to be idiots. I really hope we don’t have the same level of knobery here.

Which was correct. In the same briefing they also said it was possible there is transmission and that they needed further research to ascertain the presence of human to human transmission, other modes of transmission and sources of exposure. 3 days later they acknowledged possible evidence of human to human transmission.
2 days after that they said there was clear evidence.

Evidence based practise underpins healthcare across the world. Sadly people's understanding of this simple process is lacking.
Its all very confusing and you can understand folk for not having much confidence. I've just checked my spreadsheet. April County Durham and Sunderland recorded over 1000 cases pillar one yet nothing done yet now we are recording single figures (most days 0) and we see these rules enforced now. Just find it all hard to understand why now and not in April when places were on their arse? I'm just a tad bemused nothing was done during the peak. Be interesting to see how this affects the high street.

Its all very confusing and you can understand folk for not having much confidence. I've just checked my spreadsheet. April County Durham and Sunderland recorded over 1000 cases pillar one yet nothing done yet now we are recording single figures (most days 0) and we see these rules enforced now. Just find it all hard to understand why now and not in April when places were on their arse? I'm just a tad bemused nothing was done during the peak. Be interesting to see how this affects the high street.

think March April the country at the top was just in tatters sort of running around like headless chickens fair play I think they’ve managed to get it under control now and they are planning a head which I agree with if the masks help prevent another outbreak then they need to be used in certain environments
Can someone please tell me why this is such an inconvenience?

it shouldn’t be if people have to wear them in shops to keep people safe help towards stopping another outbreak and get us back to normal faster then we need to wear them

Last edited:
Thing is people don't have to go to pubs, but they do have to go to the supermarket. If you think the risk of going to a pub is that high that you must wear a mask, you're probably better off not going.

Back