F35 Lightning

Fortunately all defense procurement is run by incompetents, not just the UK

I can highly recommend Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs - Wikipedia

its depressing though
Long range fighter with restricted range?

"Upon its official introduction in 1940, the P-38 was capable of climbing to 3,300 feet in a single minute and reaching 400 mph, 100 mph faster than any other fighter in the world. It also doubled as an intimidating long-range threat, capable of carrying a larger payload than early B-17s and boasting a range of 1,150 miles. "

you're getting your Lightnings mixed up

p-38 - long range 'pursuit' fighter

EE Lightning - mach 2 interceptor that climbed like a rocket, but needed topping up practically by the end of the runway

Last edited:

I can highly recommend Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs - Wikipedia

its depressing though

you're getting your Lightnings mixed up

p-38 - long range 'pursuit' fighter

EE Lightning - mach 2 interceptor that climbed like a rocket, but needed topping up practically by the end of the runway
Of course. My apologies - brain fart caused by intense takeover announcement stress. I'll go an lay down in a darkened room.

Long range fighter with restricted range?

"Upon its official introduction in 1940, the P-38 was capable of climbing to 3,300 feet in a single minute and reaching 400 mph, 100 mph faster than any other fighter in the world. It also doubled as an intimidating long-range threat, capable of carrying a larger payload than early B-17s and boasting a range of 1,150 miles. "

Talking about the 1960s and supersonic climb to 3500ft.

Heard tale of Lightning scrambled to intercept Russian long range bombers. Got up there, then couldn't find refuelling tanker. Russians joined in the radio Comms and gave pilot directions to tanker.

Heard tale of Lightning scrambled to intercept Russian long range bombers. Got up there, then couldn't find refuelling tanker. Russians joined in the radio Comms and gave pilot directions to tanker.

it would'nt surprise me if there a kernel of truth in there - the Lightning's short legs were one of the big reasons we went with the Tonka ADV

Why would the lightening intercept when thatsnthe eurofighters job?

Back