F1 2022

Just curious as to people's feelings now. Imagine the last race is run again and the same things happened. The crash and safety car come out with a few laps to go. We are going to replace the RD with a rule that applies no matter who leads who or the position of the championship.

What would you go for.
A) jiggle the cars so the top 2 get to race for a lap. As they did.
B) let them finish behind the safety car if within say 3 laps of the race end.
C) red flag it, everyone changes tyres and a standing restart for the remaining laps.
D) as A but close the pit lane before the safety car is announced.

I like having ex drivers as race stewards, and them deciding on time and grid penalties for racing incidents. But we should have rules about what happens in these situations so everyone knows what will happen.

Be kind.
Just curious as to people's feelings now. Imagine the last race is run again and the same things happened. The crash and safety car come out with a few laps to go. We are going to replace the RD with a rule that applies no matter who leads who or the position of the championship.

What would you go for.
C) red flag it, everyone changes tyres and a standing restart for the remaining laps.

I like having ex drivers as race stewards, and them deciding on time and grid penalties for racing incidents. But we should have rules about what happens in these situations so everyone knows what will happen.

Be kind.
Or any other ideas

Last edited:
I wanted B because it was the right thing to do. But if there was a red flag to appease the television companies then I would have understood.

Or
E ) restart from behind the safety car without any unlapping.
I wanted B because it was the right thing to do. But if there was a red flag to appease the television companies then I would have understood.
They need a rule set in place so everyone knows where they are.

Or

Or F let all cars unlap, probably wouldn’t have changed result but at least 3rd could challenge for 2nd, and so on.

What would you go for.

Be kind.

Or any other ideas
From those 4, it would have been B or C. B because it was following the rules, C because it gives the racing end that the season deserved. Alternatively as has been said, E, 1 lap with no one unlapping themselves, I'll bet Lewis and Max would have been near enough side by side at the end of the race.

The most important thing now is to have clear rules for safety car procedures, particularly late in races. If that means some races have to finish behind it, so be it, but the clue is in the name, it's there for safety.

Clarity, one way or the other. The Mercs were denied the opportunity to change tyres, because they presumed the race director would follow the rules correctly, instead of making it up as he went along.

If we're going to try to get one more lap of racing in, tell all teams as soon as possible, so they can make the calls for their drivers.

Or

This for me, it had to be all or nothing, Verstappen would have had some pressure from Sainz then, if he still overtakes Lewis, then fair enough.

Wants to be a singer and record producer, and that's taking much time out of F1
Well I believe that's called having a life away from F1 or a hobby if you prefer.

He's arguably been the most talented driver on the planet for a decade or more so why shouldn't he do something that keeps his mind active?

You may already be able to tell but I'm pro-Hamilton.

I'd even go so far as to state that his prodigious talent should be celebrated all the more when taking his other 'extracurricular' activities into account.

the problem was that they let the cars go but only 5 of them, as by doing it for the entire field (as they should have) the race would have finished behind the SC.

It was one of those things where it was either one or the other, and the RD idiot decided he wanted to do both.

If it was run again, I just want them to follow their own f***ing rules as that's what they are supposed to do. In that case, the race finishes behind a safety car.

Oh and Michael Masi can do one also

the precedence would have been (c) - isnt that exactly what happened in baku or am i meringue?
IIRC they red flagged in Baku because they needed everyone to change tyres for safety reasons. It was the only time the Team-FIA radio was used sensibly, Red Bull told Masi they had no warning or reason to believe it could be about to happen and suggested a red flag to avoid it happening to anyone else. At the time, this made Lewis favourite for the race win, a safety car finish would have handed Perez the win, but their suggestion allowed Lewis to start alongside Perez on new soft tyres. Had it not been for his mistake with the magic button, he probably would have won, gained 25 points on Max.... etc...

What would you go for.

Be kind.

Or any other ideas
Id be all for D with the addition of no overtaking lapped cars, nobody should gain from a safety car, I know some obviously will as the gaps get smaller but there's no real way of stopping that unless they can be remotely put into pit lane mode. At least with pit lane closure and no overtaking lapped cars if you have been the best driver you wont be disadvantaged as much by a driver in 15th spinning off.

Plus this way we might get even more overtaking, I'd scrap the blue flags too, if you are the best driver in the race you should be able to overtake a Haas pretty easy.

Back