F1 2022

I agree with you but in a way Stewart is also correct about the need for a new champion.

People were fed up with Mercedes/Hamilton winning every year

The problem now is the new champion had it given to him rather than winning the bloody thing

That poses problems with the legitimacy of the 2021 title and also F1 credibility in general.

They shouldn't forget that last bit
I am all for a new champion, but won the right way rather than the manufactured bollox we endured. If people are fed up with Merc/Ham combo then maybe some of the other teams need to step up..

Americans love to use the asterisk alongside any questionable achievement in sport - Barry Bonds total home runs is one that gets a lot, Houston's World Series where they cheated by stealing signs, maybe Verstappen's World Title should be added to that list. ;);)

that's the most serious article i've seen questioning hamiltons future involvement.

reading between the lines i get the feeling, its masi or him...
It should be an easy choice for the FIA if that is the case.
He’s posted nowt on his social media either since the Farce GP, keeping his cards very close to his chest.

Wonder who Merc have lined up should he call it a day.
Ocon is surely the obvious choice. I would find it funny if they went for Gasly and he finished ahead of both Red Bull drivers.

If Hamilton decides to call it a day if I were him I think I'd just carry on for a few races this year but just drive into Vercrashen at every opportunity.

To many rumours for this not to have some truth to it
The article reckons that he’s on the same page as the team though, so I guess there’s dialogue going on in the background. It references toto so I’m assuming he’s done some media somewhere today to generate this report.
It should be an easy choice for the FIA if that is the case.

Don’t think the fia have a replacement though, and the head of fia single seat racing has his neck on the block by the sounds.

Not defending him, but there was a decent report after the last race explaining what masi did and how he was overworked. He does a lot more than act as referee on Sunday afternoons & that’s something they have to consider if they had to replace him.

Last edited:
I think some of the names being discussed as replacements are probably non-starters. Ocon's just signed a new long-term deal at a team who fancy themselves as contenders and I can't see Red Bull doing Merc a favour and releasing Gasly from his contract.

Maybe they could use their ties with Aston to get Vettel, but really I think they're more likely to go down the Vandoorne/De Vryes/Hulkenberg route.

It's the main reason I can't see him going. Not only does it leave the team in the lurch, but it will squander a huge amount of prep for both team and driver. I think it's likely Merc get their way, Masi goes and the list of responsibilities the Race Director has gets narrowed down.

The article reckons that he’s on the same page as the team though, so I guess there’s dialogue going on in the background. It references toto so I’m assuming he’s done some media somewhere today to generate this report.

Don’t think the fia have a replacement though, and the head of fia single seat racing has his neck on the block by the sounds.

Not defending him, but there was a decent report after the last race explaining what masi did and how he was overworked. He does a lot more than act as referee on Sunday afternoons & that’s something they have to consider if they had to replace him.
Getting rid of the team-FIA radio is the first step.

Absolutely no doubt he'll be unbelievably busy on a race weekend, so they need to clear his workload as much as they can so that he can do his job as easily as possible. When I say this, I mean clear the workload so his replacement can do his job effectively.

I am all for a new champion, but won the right way rather than the manufactured bollox we endured. If people are fed up with Merc/Ham combo then maybe some of the other teams need to step up..

Americans love to use the asterisk alongside any questionable achievement in sport - Barry Bonds total home runs is one that gets a lot, Houston's World Series where they cheated by stealing signs, maybe Verstappen's World Title should be added to that list. ;);)
I wasn't aware of the Houston sign stealing, however, having just given it some thorough google-age, I am now.

And I'm afraid young Verstappen is worthy of an asterisk.

He may have had some tough luck over the course of the season but he also cheated on at least three separate occasions.

If Lewis goes I wonder if Toto would go also. He has been making noises about a new challenge and wanting to spend more time with his family

Brawn’s already said he’s quitting his existing role as he’s done with motorsport… can’t see him doing a 180 and come back as the ref.
That's not quite right I think.
If I've understood correctly, FOM (who Brawn works for) will no longer have a role in F1 from the end of next season, with the FIA taking over the roles currently handled by FOM, therefore Brawn simply doesn't have a role in F1 anymore.
He was supposed to be starting work on a re-write of the F1 sporting regulations, but the overrun on the technical regulations by 12months due to covid has probably scuppered this.

Which is why he's ideal for the new role encompassing oversight of the sporting and technical regulations - the former being applied via the Race Director role.
However, if he's done with F1 after this next season, then that's obviously not going to happen. But it would be a shame.

Last edited:
I really don't think it's in Hamilton's personality to walk away from this. I think his silence shows that this is a Mercedes led campaign to get (probably rightly) changes made to the sport. I think he has more class than to act like this.

That's not quite right I think.
If I've understood correctly, FOM (who Brawn works for) will no longer have a role in F1 from the end of next season, with the FIA taking over the roles currently handled by FOM, therefore Brawn simply doesn't have a role in F1 anymore.
didnt know any of that therefore i'll bow down to your superior knowledge! perhaps he could replace masi then.

I really don't think it's in Hamilton's personality to walk away from this. I think his silence shows that this is a Mercedes led campaign to get (probably rightly) changes made to the sport. I think he has more class than to act like this.
I hope you're right. For the sake of the sport I also hope he succeeds as the change is needed.

Also, if he walks away, there will always be that feeling of unfinished business. Unless the Merc this year turns out to be crap.

Back