F1 2022

Good points. However a huge part of the Team Principal role is their media delivery. They are as well known as the drivers and are the face of the parent company.
Exactly.
IIRC wasn't Binnotto (sp?) mostly a tech guy anyway and they only recently really placed someone into his old role, so he'll have been massively involved in the 2022 works and probably hadn't fully handed over yet.
Bit of an oversight from Ferrari really - because as you say, the TP role still needs to be done on racedays!

The team principle is the public face of the team and sends out the corporate direction, message and needs to be a media expert. Most are superb even if you don’t like a particular individual.

the most disappointing aspect of 2021 was with haas being so far back, your rarely if ever got to see guenther steiner...
Yeah, it was a total wanker of a year for him. But they knew it was going to be. All or nothing next year I think.

I never warmed to Binotto but Horner, Wolff, Brown, Steiner are all hugely impressive individuals. The pressure they are under must be immense.

Binotto was less impressive interpersonally but that could be a language thing or perhaps he is/was more comfortable in the technical domains.

I never warmed to Binotto but Horner, Wolff, Brown, Steiner are all hugely impressive individuals. The pressure they are under must be immense.
Horner is brilliant at what he does.
Just because we see through it now, doesn't mean he isn't doing exactly what his bosses want him to do.

For a bit of fun - who'd you pick - can only pick 1 from each group to create your team
Raikkonen or Hakkinen or Rosberg
Riccardio or Webber or Button
Verstappen or Alonso or Vettel
Schumacher or Hamilton or Senna

Raikkonen, Webber, Alonso, Schumacher for me
Hakkinen
Button
Alonso
Senna

Yeah, it was a total wanker of a year for him. But they knew it was going to be. All or nothing next year I think.
hopefully netflix pickup on him when they drop their next series. a bit of italian anglo saxon goes well to my ears... :lol:

Think getting pelters for two years over a car that can’t win was a trade-off to getting his head down in marinello for the coming season… 2 seasons without a win is bad for him, 3 would probably be unacceptable and the rule changes could be a gift for him.
Maybe they were painting the ceilings and noticed it was easier to use him as the brush?
.. Most are superb...
Binotto wasn't

Last edited:

Binotto was less impressive interpersonally but that could be a language thing or perhaps he is/was more comfortable in the technical domains.

Skip to 2:05 on there.

He was head of race engines for much of the 00's and after before moving up to chief technical offer in 2016 before ending up where he is now.

Think he was pushed into the principle roll once Arrivabene was shown the door whether he liked it or not given that he'd done quite well as CTO with the car in 17 and 18.

I think this year and the next few will judge him as a team principle. 2022 is a big opportunity for them and Mclaren to get amongst the top 2. No improvement this year and next and he'll be shown the door imo.

Horner is brilliant at what he does.
Just because we see through it now, doesn't mean he isn't doing exactly what his bosses want him to do.
He is like.

The smoke he blew up people's arses last year was truly incredible.

And they went for it a lot of the time

Sums up my feelings word for word. Still disillusioned and completely turned off by the year long farce of 2021.

F1 2022: why I still can’t get excited about next season
good read that... think i would agree, although im not as disillusioned or as turned off as that... good line in that link though:

"Rather than an 8th title for Hamilton, or a well fought first title for Verstappen, after 58 laps of Abu Dhabi, we had a farce."

The latter bit seems to have been missed during all the noise and the dutch fans with their win at all costs reaction. interesting that the three farce races mentioned, two appear from last season. with hindsight, could baku be included (that one lap race to the finish)?

He’s posted nowt on his social media either since the Farce GP, keeping his cards very close to his chest.

Wonder who Merc have lined up should he call it a day.

Back