F1 2022

Daniel Ricciardo is adamant he has a contract in place until 2023, but McLaren say there are "mechanisms" which could see his stay end early as rumours increase about the Australian's future with the team.
F1 contracts are meaningless.

I am struggling to remember the drivers name but Williams signed 3 drivers one year and just paid one of them to naff off.

But what about other seats that will become free Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel will all be due to retire soon.

Dilemma is either put in a driver already in F1 or promote from junior formula

piastri at alpine is the first dilemma, alonso sounds like he wants to go on & on like a Duracell bunny. think seb is safe at AM to make his own mind up, rather than the team.
Easy enough to shift him to Indycar for 2023 if they wanted.
or their new FE team bought from toto? just announced yesterday they've done a deal with nissan for the powertrain.

Last edited:
Interesting………. But what about other seats that will become free Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel will all be due to retire soon.

Dilemma is either put in a driver already in F1 or promote from junior formula
Rumours are that Mercedes have had their eye on Gasly when Lewis retires, and I think he would be a good fit. There's no question that George will lead the team at that point, but an experienced race winner as teammate is exactly the sort of 2nd driver they'll want.

Rumours are that Mercedes have had their eye on Gasly when Lewis retires, and I think he would be a good fit. There's no question that George will lead the team at that point, but an experienced race winner as teammate is exactly the sort of 2nd driver they'll want.
Only issue would be he is a Red Bull contracted driver and given the animosity between RB and Merc it might be tricky to broker.

Only issue would be he is a Red Bull contracted driver and given the animosity between RB and Merc it might be tricky to broker.
That's true, and although I don't know the inner wording of that contract, surely if his AT one has expired, it's up to RB/AT whether they want to renew and therefore negotiate with him, but he would also be free to go elsewhere if he wanted to.

As has already been said though, contracts are hardly worth the paper they're printed on these days.

That's true, and although I don't know the inner wording of that contract, surely if his AT one has expired, it's up to RB/AT whether they want to renew and therefore negotiate with him, but he would also be free to go elsewhere if he wanted to.

As has already been said though, contracts are hardly worth the paper they're printed on these days.
I would have thought Ocon instead of Gasly

Ocon has the Mercedes ties, but I think Gasly is the better of the two.
You may well be right but Ocon still has close ties to Merc and likely for this be a better fit.

Last edited:
Toto is still Ocon's manager, but he rescinded his official ties to Mercedes to join Renault so he's not part of the Mercedes programme anymore.
All things that make no difference in the real world, of course :)

Gasly is a MUCH better prospect than Ocon anyway. Never got the clamour to bring Ocon back, whereas Gasly has something about him that could get him to a B level standard given the chance (i.e. replacement for Bottas)

Back