F1 2022

Yeah, sorry.

Talk I saw today was a new Race Management plan, which would probably do the trick.
As long as it's fair it should work. One rule that should change is that before a safety car is announced the pit lane shuts. Then can reopen after the last car has passed.

As long as it's fair it should work. One rule that should change is that before a safety car is announced the pit lane shuts. Then can reopen after the last car has passed.
Pit lane exist, I suppose? Need to let people in as they could have punctures etc from the accident.

Pit lane exist, I suppose? Need to let people in as they could have punctures etc from the accident.
Yes that's better, just to stop .......
Car A leads by 39 sec, passes the pit on worn tires. Another car crashes and the SC comes out , car B in second place pits, has new tires and is 2 sec behind car A.

I think it will be max again. I have a feeling there are issues at Merc getting a quick car and that's a reason for the delay in Hamilton's decision. As if they had a car that would smash the RB then he would be eager to go. Or it's all just theatre
What are your thoughts on Red Bull's chances of being immediately competitive this season? It's no secret that they put a hell of a lot more effort into in season development in 2021 than Mercedes, also not forgetting that McLaren and Ferrari have taken similar approaches. If that has paid off for any of them, we could very well see them as a clear front runner, whereas theoretically, Red Bull are on the back foot from not doing that.

The difficulty at the moment is that no one knows what a competitive lap time will be this year, even after testing, it'll only give a very vague idea as teams will be sandbagging left right and centre.

Yes that's better, just to stop .......
Car A leads by 39 sec, passes the pit on worn tires. Another car crashes and the SC comes out , car B in second place pits, has new tires and is 2 sec behind car A.
Im' not sure what you can do about that, its just pot luck.

Could you take some of advantage away by delaying when they can touch the car? Say 5 seconds for VSC stop, 10 seconds for full SC ?
you could put the red light on at the end of the pit lane for a period of time after the car arrives there to stop the advantage by holding the car.

Interesting turn of events.
Wonder what all the staff who they poached are going to be doing for the next few years?
build the 2026 engine - it looks like being a "new entrant" that year has distinct advantages to snare VAG into the F1 environment. i don't know if that means that Red Bull Powertrains in Milton Keynes will be a forerunner for the VAG badged engine in the same way Ilmor did for Mercedes or whether 2026 will see VAG & RBP individually enter alongside Ferrari, Renault & Mercedes?

its just odd from Honda's POV... spent a vast fortune on bad PR for years & then wrap it all in on the cusp of glory, and then once they leave fully row back into some kinda of hybrid not in\not out void that this sounds like. that engine till 2025 is a full honda engine now.

i noticed that the little insta video max put out yesterday of his shiny golden helmet had red bull on the visor where honda was, but the (old?) overalls still had the honda logo...

What are your thoughts on Red Bull's chances of being immediately competitive this season? It's no secret that they put a hell of a lot more effort into in season development in 2021 than Mercedes, also not forgetting that McLaren and Ferrari have taken similar approaches. If that has paid off for any of them, we could very well see them as a clear front runner, whereas theoretically, Red Bull are on the back foot from not doing that.

The difficulty at the moment is that no one knows what a competitive lap time will be this year, even after testing, it'll only give a very vague idea as teams will be sandbagging left right and centre.
Yeah i think they took their eye off the ball for 2021 to concentrate on the latest engine development either theirs or from honda.
Yeah I know. Was just thinking out loud. Guess there's lots of other situations down to luck that can't be ruled for. Like a car taking you off whilst spinning

Last edited:
build the 2026 engine - it looks like being a "new entrant" that year has distinct advantages to snare VAG into the F1 environment. i don't know if that means that Red Bull Powertrains in Milton Keynes will be a forerunner for the VAG badged engine in the same way Ilmor did for Mercedes or whether 2026 will see VAG & RBP individually enter alongside Ferrari, Renault & Mercedes?

its just odd from Honda's POV... spent a vast fortune on bad PR for years & then wrap it all in on the cusp of glory, and then once they leave fully row back into some kinda of hybrid not in\not out void that this sounds like. that engine till 2025 is a full honda engine now.

i noticed that the little insta video max put out yesterday of his shiny golden helmet had red bull on the visor where honda was, but the (old?) overalls still had the honda logo...
Having previously worked for Honda I can confidently state that their pure engineering logical thinking will be behind this cluster of f*cks of a situation

That's just motor racing, it's shit that it has and does cost drivers wins/podiums/points, but either safety comes first or it doesn't.

If there is to be a modification to the rules on pitting under the VSC/SC, I like the one suggested by @smasha to make the teams have to wait a certain amount of time before touching the car, that way they're less likely to gain a significant advantage from pitting under the VSC/SC, but also won't be penalised by not being able to stop until after it's ended when, in the case of a full SC, it puts them to the back of the pack.

Seems like Michael Masi's time is up.

The head of F1, Peter Bayer, has said "Michael did a super job in so many ways. We told him that - but also that there is a possibility of a new race director."

Source - BBC.

By the way, the Formula E season is just about to get underway over in Riyadh.

Source - BBC.
only because i read the article earlier, the source was an Austrian journalist who interviewed him...
Probably one of those promotions that's not really a promotion.
Cheif Exec of paperclips, or something
it sounds a bit like what Maurice Hamilton was talking about the week after the race, that masi was doing too much with too little support... that they'll farm out the various roles and have layers in the organisation... i like the idea of the link back to an HQ in Geneva the same way the teams do, I'm sure the teams have had that for decades so its hardly a new idea.

Last edited:
I just confirmed from where I got it from in case anyone thought I was making it up or was yet another unfounded social media quote.

Vandoorne doing well in the Formula E so far. Mercs 1-2 at the moment.

Back