F1 2021

The last car to go full race distance on one set was 24 years ago - salo at Monaco 97… fair to say Mercedes were in uncharted territory with the tyres & it’s not like Hamilton lost a world title because of tyres worn down to the belt…
My brain has a bell ringing. Wasn't there a time where you only got one set for quali and the race?
I seem to remember it, but cannot think when that was.

Yeah, I'm not wrong
In 2005, tyre changes were disallowed in Formula One, therefore the compounds were harder as the tyres had to last the full race distance of around 300 km (200 miles). Tyre changes were re-instated in 2006, following the dramatic and highly political 2005 United States Grand Prix, which saw Michelin tyres fail on two separate cars at the same turn, resulting in all Michelin runners pulling out of the Grand Prix, leaving just the three teams using Bridgestone tyres to race.

Last edited:

My brain has a bell ringing. Wasn't there a time where you only got one set for quali and the race?

Yeah, I'm not wrong
In 2005, tyre changes were disallowed in Formula One, therefore the compounds were harder as the tyres had to last the full race distance of around 300 km (200 miles). Tyre changes were re-instated in 2006, following the dramatic and highly political 2005 United States Grand Prix, which saw Michelin tyres fail on two separate cars at the same turn, resulting in all Michelin runners pulling out of the Grand Prix, leaving just the three teams using Bridgestone tyres to race.

Yeah, I'm not wrong
Hey @PTR have you seen the Chain Bear video abut that US grand prix fiasco?

Yeah, I'm not wrong
My arse was twitching once they got over about 35 laps after all the hype about how abrasive the new surface was!

I hope lewis wins the title this year but I acknowledge that max is a sensational driver although I find him hard to warm to.

Despite his protestations that the pressure does not affect him I suspect he might make an error that will cost him his first title.

Next year ....... who knows!
I'd be inclined to agree.

He's actually got too much aggression and a twisty fyass.

He reminds me of me when I was 24

Did they not watch the merc making absolutely no progress down the straights against Perez?
Excuse me while I disagree with myself

Come to think of it, Hamilton had a ton of wing on his car - but was largely the same speed as Perez on the straights. So yeah, the merc engine does seem decent.
Mind, they are apparently much faster when brand new.

They already have - but did not have any success for a variety of reasons.

I would have thought the commercial advantages to having a female driver would mean a team is certain to take the option soon.

There are many female drivers who have been successful in the states.

Back