F1 2021

Ok lads let’s get some perspective here.

1979 GP at Dijon - that’s France by the way!

Rene Arnoux and Gilles Villeneuve had a banging fight that would be unimaginable nowadays but it is one of the most memorable GPs of all time.

Just google 1979 French GP and there are some great articles about it and some interviews with Rene.

A different time!!!
Fantastic racing between a racing legend and the perennial bridesmaid, Arnoux.

Those early turbo cars were supposedly hilarious to drive with the most horrendous turbo lag and then a burst of power that would send the uninitiated straight off the circuit.

The early Renaults also garnered the nickname of The Yellow Teapot because they were so easy to spot whilst sat by the side of the track smoking - which they did a lot.

I didn't realise until I just googled it that a turbo Renault never won an F1 world championship

I didn't realise until I just googled it that a turbo Renault never won an F1 world championship
prost blames it on spark plugs, or something very similar in a component fashion... should have won in 83 (i think), but a common failure of a specific part meant he missed out... he talks about it on the beyond the grid podcast and lays at the feet of internal french politics, the french wouldnt allow them to fit the same (non-french) parts that the english teams were racing and it was for that single reason they missed out.

prost blames it on spark plugs, or something very similar in a component fashion... should have won in 83 (i think), but a common failure of a specific part meant he missed out... he talks about it on the beyond the grid podcast and lays at the feet of internal french politics, the french wouldnt allow them to fit the same (non-french) parts that the english teams were racing and it was for that single reason they missed out.
They were on some kind of all French kick.

The driver, car, engine, turbocharger, tyres and even the fuel were French at one point.

If they'd just saved a bit more weight by removing the French National Standard of 5 reverse gears they'd have probably won 😁

Ok, so here we go. We've had Karun's analysis (pretty much "racing incident", both at fault".
Here's Chain Bear's video - I agree with him 80% of the time, so I'm posting this before I've watched it because I'm not a blinkered, biased idiot who's so entrenched in his own views that he won't listen to anyone else

Running commentary as I watch the Chain Bear video:
1 - Sprint race, Lewis tries to overtake on the outside, Max moves across on him and Lewis backs out, giving Max the corner
2 - CONTEXT of the WDC matters!
3 - Same corner again, this time in the main race, Max blocks him again down the straight but Lewis goes the other way this time - inside
4 - Lewis was never ahead, but he was 90% alongside down the inside - This is NOT "throwing a wheel up the inside". But will need to slow down as he approaches the apex, of course
5 - Did max "Chop across Lewis". Well, Yes. There was twice as much room on Max's left than on the right.
6 - Lewis totally understeered, and didn't follow "the inside line". This is the clear reason for the penalty in my opinion
7 - At the point they were side by side, Max made two movements, one to open the steering to give Lewis room, but then another to block Lewis. This is just what Schumacher did to Villeneuve and got banned from the entire WDC for. Similar, not as bad though.

I really think if Lewis had spun off and Max was instead just knocked a tad and then went wide through Copse, that Max might have got a 5s penalty.

Running commentary as I watch the Chain Bear video:
1 - Sprint race, Lewis tries to overtake on the outside, Max moves across on him and Lewis backs out, giving Max the corner
2 - CONTEXT of the WDC matters!
3 - Same corner again, this time in the main race, Max blocks him again down the straight but Lewis goes the other way this time - inside
4 - Lewis was never ahead, but he was 90% alongside down the inside - This is NOT "throwing a wheel up the inside". But will need to slow down as he approaches the apex, of course
5 - Did max "Chop across Lewis". Well, Yes. There was twice as much room on Max's left than on the right.
6 - Lewis totally understeered, and didn't follow "the inside line". This is the clear reason for the penalty in my opinion
7 - At the point they were side by side, Max made two movements, one to open the steering to give Lewis room, but then another to block Lewis. This is just what Schumacher did to Villeneuve and got banned from the entire WDC for. Similar, not as bad though.

I really think if Lewis had spun off and Max was instead just knocked a tad and then went wide through Copse, that Max might have got a 5s penalty.
I like Chainbear, he mostly gives a middle of the road opinion. He seems happy to slam, or build up any team/driver as he sees it.

WTF1 had a decent reactions video, I haven't watched their's, or The Race's opinion pieces yet.
James Allison suggesting Ferrari had overdone it on the fuel use early doors, exaggerating the speed Lewis closed in on Leclerc at the end as they were conserving.

Very forthright in their views on the racing incident, as expected. It would be interesting to watch a Red Bull version of this

Last edited:
Ok, so here we go. We've had Karun's analysis (pretty much "racing incident", both at fault".
Here's Chain Bear's video - I agree with him 80% of the time, so I'm posting this before I've watched it because I'm not a blinkered, biased idiot who's so entrenched in his own views that he won't listen to anyone else

Seems fair to me. For the record my son's favourite driver is Max and it's his passion for the sport that got me back into F1 (I drifted away during the dull Schumacher years). I've took him to Silverstone and got him a canny racing rig for the F1 game. All his apparel is 33 RBR and my nephew started work for RBR this year.

Good work as usual by McLaren. Their 'Unboxed' videos are an interesting look at the whole race weekend.

Highlights of this one for me were Daniel and Lando discussing a new style race weekend for Monaco, and Danny's reaction to the v10 on track.

Karen Horner (And Max) caught bullshitting again

Its hard to not be able to see how RB are using every trick in the book to try to hurt Merc now. Nothing is beyond them, and nothing they say can be trusted.

The boy who cried wolf - we all know what happened next !!
i am getting to really dislike the whole Red bull operation.

They always seem to have a "favourite" driver - like Vettel or Max who Horner can not see any fault in.

I hope Mercedes hammer them in Hungary

Last edited:
The boy who cried wolf - we all know what happened next !!
i am getting to really dislike the whole Red bull operation.

They always seem to have a "favourite" driver - like Vettel or Max who Horner can not see any fault in.

I hope Mercedes hammer them in Hungary
I realised what Horner was all about a few years ago, when he was playing to the crowds at Silverstone getting them to cheer about bringing the V8 engines back.
"You fans want the loud engines back, don't you"
#Cheers from crowd#

Courting public goodwill to support his personal issue that they just happened to have a poor engine at that time, and it would have greatly helped them to go back to the V8s.
He pushed this narrative in many other forums as well.

Back