F1 2021

Nowhere near as much these days though, are they?
And the lower weight would be a big advantage

I had no idea Hill raced in F1 before Williams

Brabham (1992)[edit]​

Hill started his Grand Prix career during the 1991 season as a test driver with the championship-winning Williams team while still competing in the F3000 series.[25] However, midway through 1992 Hill broke into Grand Prix racing as a driver with the dying Brabham team. The formerly competitive team was in serious financial difficulties. Hill started the season only after three races, replacing Giovanna Amati after her sponsorship had failed to materialise.[26] Amati had been unable to get the car through qualifying but Hill matched his teammate, Eric van de Poele, by qualifying for two races, the mid-season British and Hungarian Grands Prix. Hill continued to test for the Williams team that year and the British Grand Prix saw Nigel Mansell win the race for Williams, while he finished last in the Brabham.[27] The Brabham team collapsed after the Hungarian Grand Prix and did not complete the season.[28]
and height - much easier to fit a small driver in an F1 car

It's all down to power to weight ratio.
If you have a woman the same physical size as a man they will not have the same strength.
It's not sexist or chauvinistic, just fact
You're right quite, of course
I was just having a little fun with the comment.

My serious question was whether F1 drivers actually need THAt level of physical strength anymore? I remember before the current regs (where the cars got ~5s/lap faster), the drivers said it was actually very easy to drive them, and their fitness targets were almost all based around getting their personal weights down. Drivers being dehyrdated etc. Which would have been an advantage for women.

My serious question was whether F1 drivers actually need THAt level of physical strength anymore? I remember before the current regs (where the cars got ~5s/lap faster), the drivers said it was actually very easy to drive them, and their fitness targets were almost all based around getting their personal weights down. Drivers being dehyrdated etc. Which would have been an advantage for women.
braking - apparently you need lots of leg strength to brake like they do

Not sure how indicative this is to the actual driving, but looks pretty tough. Suppose it's all those G forces.

We may see soon a female driver certainly in F3 and hopefully even F2. The F3-based Euroformula Open season supported F1 over the weekend in Portugal for rounds 1,2 and 3 and Team Motopark run a female driver called Vivien Keszththelyi from Hungary.

There's no actual reason why women couldn't compete at the highest level of motorsport, the arguments about strength etc work for football, tennis etc, but women are just as capable of withstanding the forces an F1 car inflicts upon you as a man is, having superior natural strength isn't nearly as much of an advantage. The main reason there aren't women in the sport is because there isn't as many girls getting into motorsport at karting level etc. This is changing slowly, and there's some decent women racers out there, but I think we're still at least a decade away from seeing a woman make it to F1.

There's no actual reason why women couldn't compete at the highest level of motorsport, the arguments about strength etc work for football, tennis etc, but women are just as capable of withstanding the forces an F1 car inflicts upon you as a man is, having superior natural strength isn't nearly as much of an advantage. The main reason there aren't women in the sport is because there isn't as many girls getting into motorsport at karting level etc. This is changing slowly, and there's some decent women racers out there, but I think we're still at least a decade away from seeing a woman make it to F1.
If women can be astronauts, there’s no physiological reason why they can’t be F1 drivers. There are many other factors to take into consideration of course, most of which are societal rather than physical.

Hill continued to test for the Williams team that year and the British Grand Prix saw Nigel Mansell win the race for Williams, while he finished last in the Brabham.
Lapped. Swapped seats six month later...

Logon or register to see this image

We may see soon a female driver certainly in F3 and hopefully even F2. The F3-based Euroformula Open season supported F1 over the weekend in Portugal for rounds 1,2 and 3 and Team Motopark run a female driver called Vivien Keszththelyi from Hungary.
For what it’s worth, Chadwick ran in the Asia F3 series last year & won at Abu Dhabi :
Logon or register to see this image

Before the stewards took the victory off her...

Last edited:
We have had a woman in F2 recently, Tatiana Calderón raced for Arden in 2019 and is a current test driver for Alfa Romeo, so is currently the front runner to be the next woman to start an F1 race should Kimi or Gio need to miss one.
The biggest problem for female drivers, is the same problem for male drivers - not enough seats in f1 plus money vrs talent balances...

McLaren have promised o’ward a test in Abu Dhabi after he won in the Texas indaycar race yesterday, and mario has been bigging up Colton Herta as a certainty to race in f1. But I can’t see where either American fits into the current driver pyramid.

Surely baking a female driver would bring sponsors huge publicity and therfore profits - its bang on message and the time is right

F1 needs to refreash its driver line up Kimi, Alonso, Vettel, could all leave and we would not miss them.

Surely baking a female driver would bring sponsors huge publicity and therfore profits - its bang on message and the time is right
I know it gets hot in those cars, and I know they just love making cakes and all that, but wouldn't they be a bit busy driving?

Have you licked it like ya dorty get!
Funny you bring this up. We were talking about airports and covid testing the other day, and I said "now that the studies have shown the lateral flow tests are perfectly sufficient - about 85% as good as PCR - why not just do them at the gate and show the lass at the counter the result"
Then I realised that was quite a sexist comment, but as I went to correct myself, I couldn't resist.

"Not just lasses of course, also gay men"
:lol:

(Edit: somewhat quoted the wrong post, but I'm not changing it)

Back