F1 2021

I like that design - reminds me of the Jordan years ago. However, they are keeping the official livery under wraps for the big reveal later. I would imagine they would be furious if someone leaked their design prior to that date.

Also what are Mercedes going to do - go back to Silver or stay in Black ?

Any thoughts?
I like that design - reminds me of the Jordan years ago. However, they are keeping the official livery under wraps for the big reveal later. I would imagine they would be furious if someone leaked their design prior to that date.

Any thoughts?

Mercedes will keep its all-black livery in 2021, boss Toto Wolff has revealed.

Amid Lewis Hamilton's advocacy for the Black Lives Matter movement, the reigning world champion team agreed to switch from silver to black for 2020.

"It seems that yes, we will also be in black in 2021," Wolff told the Austrian magazine Motorprofis after Mercedes wrapped up its record seventh consecutive constructors' world championship at Imola.

Last edited:

Any thoughts?
Silver hopefully. Will match my picture on my wall, looked dated when they were black.

"It seems that yes, we will also be in black in 2021," Wolff told the Austrian magazine Motorprofis after Mercedes wrapped up its record seventh consecutive constructors' world championship at Imola.
oh well... not that i care to be fair, looks nice in either imho. i presume that's on the assumption that hammy is in the team! :lol:

I do think the mercs should go back to Silver. They are the Silver Arrows. Nothing at all against the BLM stuff here.

2022 - new regs, new shapes, new livery and return of the Silver Arrows.

I really hope they don't cock it up and give us cars that can break 20 metres from a corner and areo that means you can't follow the car in front closely.

A bit of re- fuelling would not go amiss. I enjoyed seeing a rig being dragged down the pitlane spewing high octane fuel all over. (I know it won't happen)

for what its worth - sean bull is the leading concept artist for motorsport livery, his feed is well worth a look (not just f1 stuff!).

his previous stuff on aston looked like:

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

A bit of re- fuelling would not go amiss.
just my 2p - but for me, refuelling brought nothing to f1. in the schumi\ferrari dominated era it could make a really shit race a bit more interesting in terms of strategy, but it didnt do anything for the on-track action.
few of the teams twisting about the 2021 regs, which i thought were almost the same cars as this year... seems the floor changes are pissing some people off.
Nothing at all against the BLM stuff here.
i presume the BLM stuff before the race will be dropped for 2021? if it continues (i don't care personally - it annoys the usual suspects so for that alone its a plus) then it becomes permanent addition one should think.

Last edited:
I really hope they don't cock it up and give us cars that can break 20 metres from a corner and areo that means you can't follow the car in front closely.
A bit of re- fuelling would not go amiss. I enjoyed seeing a rig being dragged down the pitlane spewing high octane fuel all over. (I know it won't happen)
Can't wait for the 2022 regs. Not just for day1, but the philosphy that Brawn and his team can make tweaks whenever needed to actually fix things to give us proper wheel-to-wheel racing for the first time in, well, ages.

The aero is massively nerfed already, they're moving the downforce balance away from aero and towards ground effect. So less wake == closer racing.

Refuelling does nothing for me - it just locks you into a strategy. I know changes in F1 never come in isolation, so its hard to be 100% sure, but the modern refuelling era of F1 had about 50% of the overtaking as the eras before and after it. It was rubbish.
I'm much more interested in new tyres. The current ones are nothing like what the original remit was when Pirelli were first brought in. Almost always 1-stop with tyre management being far too common. Its hard to fix though, as the teams like what they have - they don't want change, so they fight it at every step.
few of the teams twisting about the 2021 regs, which i thought were almost the same cars as this year... seems the floor changes are pissing some people off.
The teams rejected new tyres
Pirelli said the current tyres couldn't cope with any more force - remember the total downforce always increases season on season unless they are stopped
So the cars had to be nerfed

All comes back to the tyres.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the 2022 regs. Not just for day1, but the philosphy that Brawn and his team can make tweaks whenever needed to actually fix things to give us proper wheel-to-wheel racing for the first time in, well, ages.

The aero is massively nerfed already, they're moving the downforce balance away from aero and towards ground effect. So less wake == closer racing.

Refuelling does nothing for me - it just locks you into a strategy. I know changes in F1 never come in isolation, so its hard to be 100% sure, but the modern refuelling era of F1 had about 50% of the overtaking as the eras before and after it. It was rubbish.
I'm much more interested in new tyres. The current ones are nothing like what the original remit was when Pirelli were first brought in. Almost always 1-stop with tyre management being far too common. Its hard to fix though, as the teams like what they have - they don't want change, so they fight it at every step.

The teams rejected new tyres
Pirelli said the current tyres couldn't cope with any more force - remember the total downforce always increases season on season unless they are stopped
So the cars had to be nerfed

All comes back to the tyres.
A bit of competition for tyres might be good.

I recall the old Bridgstone - Pirelli battles

Only thing was if your car had the crap tyres you were doomed - so maybe not!

random question, f1 have announced that the start time of the races will go back to 'on the hour'...

when did they change to 10 past, and why? cause it was only in reading the story that it dawned on me they'd be starting late...
not convinced myself... the indy debacle might have put the f1 teams off that as well.

Last edited:
random question, f1 have announced that the start time of the races will go back to 'on the hour'...

when did they change to 10 past, and why? cause it was only in reading the story that it dawned on me they'd be starting late...

not convinced myself... the indy debacle might have put the f1 teams off that as well.
Oh dear - that was a farce - the yanks have never forgotten

I recall the old Bridgstone - Pirelli battles
Only thing was if your car had the crap tyres you were doomed - so maybe not!
We've talked about this on here a few times.

The last time we had this, the tyre wars were "interesting". Usually there was a decent gap, so one set of teams were just fucked from the start on most tracks, although sometimes it would reverse at some tracks. Same problem though - it spoiled the racing.

Then you had the situation where Ferrari were paying Bridgestone direct to make increadible tyres that the other runners didn't get. Eddie Jordan said he managed to pinch a used set for a test and they were over a second a lap faster than what they had.

Do we really want more costs? Its already stupidly expensive to get into F1 as it is. About half a billion needed to set up a new team these days (£250m entry fee needed IIRC, before you build a factory and make a car).

Anyway, put all that aside.
What do we actually want from the tyres? Do we want "The best tyres you can make please". What would that be? Almost certainly tyres that will last the entire race and run flat out the entire time. At most, 1 stop.
Is that the best for the race? Its certainly "pure", but I doubt it would be the best for us to watch.

If we start asking them to build tyres that act in certain ways, you can no longer have more than one provider of tyres, as they're building to a spec, not building the best they can. You can't "compete" like that.

Like everything in F1. We are where we are because of many reasons, and there is rarely an easy answer to "how to make it better".

Changed a couple of years ago maybe? I believe it was for broadcasting so you could have a show/stream that started on the hour and still allowed to for grids/promo stuff to be shown first.

Back