F1 2021

Stewards decide it was a racing incident and Bottas did not move erratically, wonder if he will get an apology from George
Understandable how they've reached that conclusion, not sure I agree there was no movement from Bottas' though, certainly looked like it.

The best thing George can do now is apologise for his outburst, perhaps mentioning something about it not being often he's faster than a Merc while driving a Williams.

After watching the crash a few times I’m thinking its more george’s fault. The kink in the straight takes bottas towards the right side of the track. And there is always enough space for him on the right hand side. He doesn’t realise where his car is and gets a wheel on the grass.

I’m also not sure about his response to it. In the immediate aftermath it’s completely understandable to be angry. However with the size of the shunt and when his car went very close to the head area of bottas his reaction of “are you trying to kill us?” And not “are you ok?” is poor. His post on twitter later when he should have calmed down shows no concern for the other driver other than to blame him maybe might have mercedes rethinking a few things
Why would he be concerned for Bottas when we know he’s okay?

After watching the crash a few times I’m thinking its more george’s fault. The kink in the straight takes bottas towards the right side of the track. And there is always enough space for him on the right hand side. He doesn’t realise where his car is and gets a wheel on the grass.

I’m also not sure about his response to it. In the immediate aftermath it’s completely understandable to be angry. However with the size of the shunt and when his car went very close to the head area of bottas his reaction of “are you trying to kill us?” And not “are you ok?” is poor. His post on twitter later when he should have calmed down shows no concern for the other driver other than to blame him maybe might have mercedes rethinking a few things

I think it was a bit of both being at fault personally. The problem is at them speeds it’s split second reactions so it’s hard to say who’s at fault. There was enough room for George to get past but in real time I can’t really blame him over the stills everyone keeps putting up. It’s too easy to say from the armchair as opposed to 200mph.

I agree about his response. I think it was pretty childish from George. In reality he shoulda been running over to check if his fellow driver was alive and well after a crash like that, not resorting to behaviour like that.

He’s a young lad who will probably regret his reaction when the dust settles. I just hope he’s smart enough to apologise for it as it doesn’t look good for him.

Why would he be concerned for Bottas when we know he’s okay?
Take Hamilton's response, he is talking about his own race but still makes a point of saying he is glad to see the pair of them walk away uninjured. That is something I would have expected to see from George
Understandable how they've reached that conclusion, not sure I agree there was no movement from Bottas' though, certainly looked like it.

The best thing George can do now is apologise for his outburst, perhaps mentioning something about it not being often he's faster than a Merc while driving a Williams.
I think the key angle we couldn’t see was valterri’s on board. Based on what the stewards have said he just followed the racing line and I think the kink in the straight made it look like he moved more than he did.

Last edited:
I think it was a bit of both being at fault personally. The problem is at them speeds it’s split second reactions so it’s hard to say who’s at fault. There was enough room for George to get past but in real time I can’t really blame him over the stills everyone keeps putting up. It’s too easy to say from the armchair as opposed to 200mph.

I agree about his response. I think it was pretty childish from George. In reality he shoulda been running over to check if his fellow driver was alive and well after a crash like that, not resorting to behaviour like that.

He’s a young lad who will probably regret his reaction when the dust settles. I just hope he’s smart enough to apologise for it as it doesn’t look good for him.
Had Sky's analysis on in the background so not really paying attention. I think it was Ricciardo said the kink in the 'straight' complicates it, and as the attacking driver you don't know when the other driver is going to stop moving across if they are, tricky conditions don't help either.

Him confronting Bottas doesn't look good just after becoming a GDPA director

Last edited:
Take Hamilton's response, he is talking about his own race but still makes a point of saying he is glad to see the pair of them walk away uninjured. That is something I would have expected to see from George

I think the key angle we couldn’t see was valterri’s on board. Based on what the stewards have said he just followed the racing line and I think the kink in the straight made it look like he moved more than he did.
Exactly, we'll see it at some point, which will at least clear it up for us in the armchair.

Frustration from George in the heat of the moment is understandable, but hopefully he'll say the right thing when the dust settles.

Had Sky's analysis on in the background so not really paying attention. I think it was Ricciardo said the kink in the 'straight' complicates it, and as the attacking driver you don't know when the other driver is going to stop moving across if they are, tricky conditions don't help either.

I seen someone post a gif of Hamilton’s overtake on Norris around the same point on the track and it looks like Norris starts moving in central a bit too so maybe he’s right.

Frustration from George in the heat of the moment is understandable
George needs to get his shot off, so to say. That Williams was flying today & perhaps if he had more success to match his deserved talent he’d have been a bit more cautious.

seem to recall the same was said about Max in the beginning.
wonder when it'll fit onto the calendar, presumably in the early part of the season as I doubt it would work to have it clashing with the NFL, back to back with Montreal possibly? But it would be ridiculously hot in Miami at that time of year
Indycar event tended to be the season opener...
Has F1 learned nothing from staging races in American car parks?!
The most concerning bit for me is a 10 year deal. I was hoping the last 12 months might have taught liberty to have a core long term group of tracks, then ones to mix in & out every other year...

Last edited:
Stewards decide it was a racing incident and Bottas did not move erratically, wonder if he will get an apology from George
Gentleman's agreements are not enforceble by the stewards.

tbh, I've disagreed with stewards many times, as have most pundits who know a lot more than me
Thing is, there was a line on the left of the track, which he was on.
Then 2 seconds later there is a centre line on the track (not sure why), and he's moved from touching the left side of the track, to being over the centre line of the track.
In 2 seconds.

He was driving Russell into a wedge.

Last edited:
Him confronting Bottas doesn't look good just after becoming a GDPA director
Again, the thing there is that this is an agreement between the GPDA to not move into an overtaking car at high speeds like that.

Because the crash is exactly what will happen. At 190mph.
I seen someone post a gif of Hamilton’s overtake on Norris around the same point on the track and it looks like Norris starts moving in central a bit too so maybe he’s right.

That video - the car doesn't cross the centre line. Bottas did, and he moved more sharply
The most concerning bit for me is a 10 year deal. I was hoping the last 12 months might have taught liberty to have a core long term group of tracks, then ones to mix in & out every other year...
They ONLY care about the money. That much is clear.

Last edited:
Again, the thing there is that this is an agreement between the GPDA to not move into an overtaking car at high speeds like that.

Because the crash is exactly what will happen. At 190mph.
Whether Bottas broke a gentleman's agreement or not, which according to sky's pundits and other driver seems he didn't. It doesn't not give him the right to strike an opponent.

For what it's worth it was racing incident for me, yes both could have done better, but Russell is the one to made the move knowing he'd be going into a damp area of track on dry tyres. 60/40 blame has been touted by Toto, seems fair to me.

As a side point, Bottas should not have been fighting a Williams in a Mercedes.

Last edited:
Domenocali was just saying it wouldn't jeopardize Austin.

Wanna come hang out with me and the wife's family and do paddock passes for this one with me?
I'm sure a convenient business trip to the Southern US can be arranged! I managed to find a tenuous reason to visit a customer in Houston the day after Austin in 2018 :cool:
I'm a big fan of George and don't think much of Bottas, but I don't think there was much of a jink right, his line was smooth and natural and on the racing line. George misjudged it on a wetter line having been given enough room. Doubling down with his comments in the interviews was rather unedifying, especially having slapped the guy on the helmet out of petulance. Bottas drove perfectly to the situation, knowing the dry line was his, and would have expected his talented presumed replacement to have kept his car on the track when given a car's width.

Hamilton wouldn't have made that mistake, even bloody Stroll wouldn't, it reeks of inexperience keeping it floored and clipping the grass when he didn't need to do either.

Plenty others made a pass stick on the outside in the wet there today, he didn't. The way he went on afterwards is a bit embarrassing and won't have done his prospects any good

Last edited:
Russell seems to be wanting to be more than the lady in waiting this season.

For what it's worth I think Russell was ambitious to try his move there and Bottas doesn't appear to have done anything any different to what might have been expected.

Wolff generous with his 60 40 assessment but he is Russell's manager 🤣🤣

Stupendous stuff from Norris after his qualifying disappointment and a great race all round.

Specular alignment of the stars for Hamilton who must be surprised and delighted to be still leading the standings.

Verstappen looked better than I can remember seeing him in the wet, but he still almost binned it as well.

Fair play to him he seems a decent lad let’s hope he goes well next time
👍
Annoys me that if Hamilton had done what he did in the car and afterwards, and then released this, he would be hung out to dry by the press and the armchair ‘fans’ with a social media account.

Back