F1 2021

One observation that only really occurred to me when they were showing the quick highlights post race, I'm so relieved the stewards didn't even look at the battle between Lewis and Checo. The fact that Checo went round the bollard to enter the pitlane is exactly the sort of arbitrary rule that the stewards have recently penalised at the drop of a hat. So it was good to see that one of the best racing battles of the season was exactly that.

Maybe Checo should show that to his teammate as an example of how to actually race.

Having seen the image of Ocons tyre after the race, I think it was the right call for them to pit Lewis. If the decision was based on safety though, why not convey this to Lewis?

Having seen the image of Ocons tyre after the race, I think it was the right call for them to pit Lewis. If the decision was based on safety though, why not convey this to Lewis?
When you’re driving a car at 200mph the less information you have to process the better. Box, box. They shouldn’t need to provide Hamilton with a reason, they have a whole team of strategists which he chose to ignore yesterday.

Having seen the image of Ocons tyre after the race, I think it was the right call for them to pit Lewis.
The last car to go full race distance on one set was 24 years ago - salo at Monaco 97… fair to say Mercedes were in uncharted territory with the tyres & it’s not like Hamilton lost a world title because of tyres worn down to the belt…

He didn't choose to ignore them, you know, as he did actually pit. From Lewis' point of view the tyres were fine, so pitting for inters with 10 laps left on the face of it seemed a strange decision. As I said, clearer communication from the team was needed if it was on safety grounds.

Another great race in Turkey.

Bottas and Perez seem to get lots of credit but Sainz got the vote for DoD

The championship looks like it will be lost this year rather than won.

Next mistake leading to a DNF will likely gift it to the oppo (unless they both go out again).

Six to go and this has the makings of a thriller!

Last edited:
He didn't choose to ignore them, you know, as he did actually pit. From Lewis' point of view the tyres were fine, so pitting for inters with 10 laps left on the face of it seemed a strange decision. As I said, clearer communication from the team was needed if it was on safety grounds.
He did choose to ignore them. They told him to pit and he said ‘nah man I’m staying out’

By the time the penny dropped it was too late.

There's been a lot made of Mercedes playing up the underdog role this season, even if they've probably had the faster car in the second half of the season. I suspect that that's what might have influenced things here. They had a clear pace advantage over Red Bull, so I don't honestly understand why they gave Perez so much respect. Surely the team should have communicated to Hamilton that he'd likely clear Perez comfortably if they matched his strategy, or surely he could have worked it out himself?

I hope lewis wins the title this year but I acknowledge that max is a sensational driver although I find him hard to warm to.

Despite his protestations that the pressure does not affect him I suspect he might make an error that will cost him his first title.

Next year ....... who knows!

Back