F1 2021

Pirelli say they have other sets from the same weekend with the same wear pattern but no failure.

the initial logic I agree with too, on an anti-clockwise street circuit the right rear would be the first expected tyre to fail from excessive wear.

I can’t imagine f1 is in a place these days where the technical boffins within f1s own organisation would allow commercial rights to come before safety…

That was mentioned on Sky yesterday, I think from Pirelli info, that the RR was the most loaded tyre and the RF suffered the greatest wear.

I agree with your last paragraph. I suspect there may well be some sort of legal protection in place for the tyre supplier, otherwise the downside risk would be unacceptable to even the most financially sound companies.

Missed the race yesterday, sounded a belter. Disappointed that Hamilton missed out on taking advantage. Slightly worried that the red bull is better and could hamper the GOAT cementing his place at the top.

France is never that good is it?

Missed the race yesterday, sounded a belter. Disappointed that Hamilton missed out on taking advantage. Slightly worried that the red bull is better and could hamper the GOAT cementing his place at the top.

France is never that good is it?
The new track at France is dull but Merc have won both races there

Merc do seem to have had a disjointed start to the campaign, feels like Lewis, yesterday’s error aside, has gotten more from the car then he should have

Be interesting to see if red bull are any slower without the flexi wing

The new track at France is dull but Merc have won both races there

Merc do seem to have had a disjointed start to the campaign, feels like Lewis, yesterday’s error aside, has gotten more from the car then he should have

Be interesting to see if red bull are any slower without the flexi wing
Is the wing banned from next race?

You get minimal return from reducing drag, so when they have a “low drag car” they’ll actually just increase drag to artificially increase downforce on the car, so what a low drag car really means is a high downforce car.

It’s so unlikely that two identical failures were caused by debris. Even less likely to be debris damage on the inner wall of the rear tyre - the front end of the car would have cleared all debris from the centre line of the car before it reached the rear. Bigger possibility I am thinking is kerb related damage. They did note they found similar cuts on the inner tyre wall of Lewis’ car. We’ll see when investigations occur though
That's possibly the most nuts thing I've read on this thread. And that's saying something.

Onto the 2nd point, yeah, I'd agree the most likely common factor is something on the track that they run over in a particular way that causes a split in the tyre - such as a defect in a kerb.

Last edited:
That's possibly the most nuts thing I've read on this thread. And that's saying something.

Onto the 2nd point, yeah, I'd agree the most likely common factor is something on the track that they run over in a particular way that causes a split in the tyre - such as a defect in a kerb.
It’s all about a ratio of drag to downforce, not about reducing drag. A car that is considered lower drag, like the red bull compared to the merc, will probably run a similar drag level due to the way the impact of drag on top speed negates itself, and indeed use this “reduced drag” to run a higher downforce rear wing, hence returning to a “neutral” level of drag, but for a greater payoff of higher downforce.

Contextualising it in numbers, let’s say the Red Bull without the flexi wing finds its optimum setup to be a (drag coefficient) Cd of 0.3 and a (lift coefficient) Cl of -6. Numbers are totally made up, but demonstrate my point theoretically. Then the flexi wing as you say would reduce the Cd to let’s say 0.27, so you get a new lift/drag ratio of -6/0.27. However, this isn’t likely to give the optimum performance, as a drag reduction at this level of minimal drag anyway would just get lost in the detail of the inverse square law, so you would only get a 2-3 kmph benefit down the single straight - big deal right?

Whereas the other option they have is to run more rear wing, thus increasing both downforce and drag. So they could return the drag to the “optimum level” of Cd = 0.3 and increase downforce say to Cl = -6.5 or -7. This would give you a better lift to drag ratio and better performance in the corners for a similar return on the straights. Corners are usually where time is made up, hence Hamilton’s struggles in qualifying.

You won’t gain much benefit at all by lifting extra drag from these cars, it’s all about increasing downforce levels. And increasing downforce also means increasing tyre wear, tyre heat up for quali and in Bakus case sector 2 times.

We seen all of these bear fruit in reality, with red bull engaging tyres better, wearing tyres better and being significantly better in sector 2.

Loads of good youtube videos as usual after an eventful race, but Scott Mansell at Driver 61 dissecting Lewis's brake fuck up mentioned the 'magic' had ben mentioned before a lot when Bono was coaching George at Sakir last year.

A few seconds of searching confirmed it. I missed it at the time, and more than likely assumed he was talking about DAS.

Needs sound… who’s that in the background?

DC?

Edit: twitter link isn’t posting?

Edit edit: it’s mark webber

edit edit edit: different tweet:

I just assumed that was Christine jizzing everywhere.
Williams have appointed a new Team Principal.

Formula 1: Williams team principal Simon Roberts leaves - Williams team principal Roberts leaves

Last edited:

Back