F1 2021

What a developing story at Indianapolis. Grosjean takes pole for tomorrow's GP race. His first pole position in any race for 10 years and just his third IndyCar race weekend. Amazing stuff.
So is that the inside track, rather than the indy 500?
Or am I miles off?
I'm not remotely surprised and it confirms everything I think about Indycar. A mediocre F1 driver is as good as the very best Indycar driver
Its really hard to not think otherwise.

Mind, to be fair to GJ, he was exceptional in the junior formulae, it was only F1 where he didn't succeed. Making it to F1 on merit means you're an elite driver, even if I have slagged him off at times for doing stupid stuff

Also, what's his car like out there, is it a top drive?
makes you wonder if alonso would regret not doing a full indycar season during his f1 sabbatical?
Cannot get my head round why he didnt want to do that.

Last edited:

So is that the inside track, rather than the indy 500?
Or am I miles off?
Yes - it’s called the Indy GP and runs round the GP layout I believe.
Cannot get my head round why he didnt want to do that.
One assumes the WEC season allowed him to stay in Europe and perhaps feel closer to the F1 environment. He might argue that crossing the Atlantic might make him forgotten in some f1 teams? Out of sight, out of mind?

Last edited:
Yes - it’s called the Indy GP and runs round the GP layout I believe.

One assumes the WEC season allowed him to stay in Europe and perhaps feel closer to the F1 environment. He might argue that crossing the Atlantic might make him forgotten in some f1 teams? Out of sight, out of mind?
Might watcht that race then, working all weekend, but its just "sit and wait" for almost the whole thing.

Going to America could have made him properly famous though - like mega money famous. Its a strange one, especially as he said he was finished with F1 back at that time.

Might watcht that race then, working all weekend, but its just "sit and wait" for almost the whole thing.

Going to America could have made him properly famous though - like mega money famous. Its a strange one, especially as he said he was finished with F1 back at that time.
It certainly didn't hurt Mansell doing full seasons over there.

I just watched a video -shows an f1 car is 15 seconds faster a lap at the circuit of the americas- however on ovals Indy cars are faster than F1 cars - not surprising really.

I just watched a video -shows an f1 car is 15 seconds faster a lap at the circuit of the americas- however on ovals Indy cars are faster than F1 cars - not surprising really.
Yeah, oval racing is a totally different beast. I expect there is significant differences between the Indy cars for ovals vs street circuits?

Watching the Indy GP. Grosjean made a very good start, but they've gone full caution (SC) within 1 lap.
Funny though, they're towing a car off, and the sidepod has this advert on it "Tired of Pricks?"

Nah, I bloked him ages ago ;)

Grosjean doing well in this race. Lead the first half, and now after the final stops, he's just come out a few seconds behind the leader. 20 lap sprint to the end, and maybe rain coming.

Not bad, this.

(its on sky sports f1 if you care?)

I watched that as well. I chuckled at the end when he concluded that F1 cars could probably beat Indycars on ovals with enough development and money, despite all the evidence he'd presented suggesting entirely the opposite!
He has to keep his majority F1 fanbase happy.

Throw in a V10 ditching the hybrids, monza-lite spec aero and it might be close.

He has to keep his majority F1 fanbase happy.

Throw in a V10 ditching the hybrids, monza-lite spec aero and it might be close.
235+ mph even then is a bit of a stretch. I learned a lot about Indycar setup and cars in that video, venturi tunnels and asymmetric setup etc.

His videos used to be ever so smug. He used to mention every five minutes that he holds the all-time lap record at Brands Hatch (in a ~1998 Benetton). He also has a video on Schumacher's driving style which uses unattributed footage and even verbatim plagiarised narrative from the brilliant 1995 BBC documentary "Schumacher".

But this was a good one.

235+ mph even then is a bit of a stretch. I learned a lot about Indycar setup and cars in that video, venturi tunnels and asymmetric setup etc.

His videos used to be ever so smug. He used to mention every five minutes that he holds the all-time lap record at Brands Hatch (in a ~1998 Benetton). He also has a video on Schumacher's driving style which uses unattributed footage and even verbatim plagiarised narrative from the brilliant 1995 BBC documentary "Schumacher".

But this was a good one.
He is hit and miss, but I am subscribed as when good he is good. His dad prepares historic F1 cars, and seeing under the bodywork on some of the 90's Bennatons is fascinating.

It took a while before I realised he isn't related to Nigel Mansell.

Of the many F1 youtube channels Cranky Yanky (CYMotorsport) does great documentary reviews on both recent and older events/seasons. The big difference of this channel is he is determined to show his sources for information, even more so in his statistical videos. Once you get past the Americanised pronunciation he is very good to listen to.

Last edited:

Back