F1 2021

pretty Good vid on the bendy wing , although I can’t help thinking this is a smokescreen for something else they spotted

That's more than I thought it was going to be no wonder hamilton spotted it.

It annoys me that they done than knowing full well if any other team (especially Mercedes) done it they themselves would be complaining to the FIA about it.

Is it a safety reason teams can't do this? I imagine it also takes away power from DRS aswell.

Than someone who had just won the championship?

My guess: It was money.
my memory could be failing me here, but i believe the timeline for the frentzen deal was done in '95, or certainly before the first race of '96. Hill did have a very poor season in 95 and got totally out gunned by schumi, plus coulthard had fkd off to mclaren as well. im almost certain from everything i read it wasnt money.

Could be called a bit of an enigma frentzen, always the coming man who never seemed to arrive. Could he be the bottas to villeneuve’s Hamilton in the one season he had in a field-leading car?
He was a knob who never got over Schumacher nicking his girlfriend (Corinna)
I'm sure you're right.

Hill was mid 30s which was considered a veteran in those days.
Hill had a very short career in modern terms. The story with Frank is a strange one, the only surprise for me is that he fired him after 1996 not 1995. His driving against Schumacher in 9
'95 was amateurish at times (Silverstone and Monza in particular) albeit not as bad as Coulthard's (spinning on the parade lap, anyone?)

Even now Hill still goes on about Schumacher weaving and closing the door in both incidents, he's so bitter about it. Bit embarrassing really.

So I think 1996 was always going to be his last after that. Frank Williams always had a sixth sense about drivers and when it was Time To Go but Frentzen was a bit right-time-wrong-man.

Last edited:
Frank Williams always had a sixth sense about drivers and when it was Time To Go but Frentzen was a bit right-time-wrong-man.
from her book\tapes, which the williams film is heavily based around - it could be said that it was ginny who had franks sixth sense about drivers. there's one story in there that they had one (unnamed) driver to the house on a social visit and she black balled them... i got the impression that was 84ish and they signed mansell subsequently.

Schumacher weaving and closing the door in both incidents, he's so bitter about it.
in hill's defense, he's not exactly alone in that opinion.

95 was amateurish at times (Silverstone and Monza in particular) albeit not as bad as Coulthard's (spinning on the parade lap, anyone?)
agreed - mansell reckons he'd have won the title easily if he'd been given the seat - not convinced myself mind, belittles the Benetton effort somewhat. At monza, was there a race restart that allowed him to get back onto the 2nd grid as if he hadnt crashed on the 1st grid? Coulthard also binned it into the pitlane entrance wall at Adelaide too (was he leading at the time?).

agreed - mansell reckons he'd have won the title easily if he'd been given the seat - not convinced myself mind, belittles the Benetton effort somewhat. At monza, was there a race restart that allowed him to get back onto the 2nd grid as if he hadnt crashed on the 1st grid? Coulthard also binned it into the pitlane entrance wall at Adelaide too (was he leading at the time?).
Yes and I seem to remember him slithering off on slicks at Spoon at the wet Japan 1995? He settled in to be a solid if uninspiring driver for Red Bull.

As for Mansell, never short of self confidence is he :lol: Easily winning the title is a bit of a stretch (like his McLaren) given that in that same year in a McLaren he never seemed to care or try, and was thoroughly outshone, by Mika Hakkinen and quit.

Last edited:
There is also the effect of the tunnel roof. It plays havoc with the cars, and is a reason you only have small bridges over tracks now, certainly at low levels.

Monaco is as always the exception to the rule.
In other news, the Mercedes debrief is online, they certainly try to deflect away from the Bottas question.

good video thanks for posting it. So.

He was a knob who never got over Schumacher nicking his girlfriend (Corinna)

Hill had a very short career in modern terms. The story with Frank is a strange one, the only surprise for me is that he fired him after 1996 not 1995. His driving against Schumacher in 9
'95 was amateurish at times (Silverstone and Monza in particular) albeit not as bad as Coulthard's (spinning on the parade lap, anyone?)

Even now Hill still goes on about Schumacher weaving and closing the door in both incidents, he's so bitter about it. Bit embarrassing really.

So I think 1996 was always going to be his last after that. Frank Williams always had a sixth sense about drivers and when it was Time To Go but Frentzen was a bit right-time-wrong-man.
Schumacher and Benetton were more than likely using traction control which was banned in that season, Senna was convinced of it. Certainly the early part of the season they were flying until the black box was taken and found to have the software capability to use traction control although they argued that they didn't use it. Oddly they didn't seem to have quite the same advantage subsequently. So not only did Schumacher cheat by deliberately taking Hill out (a view shared by many) but it's likely that their car was illegal.

Schumacher and Benetton were more than likely using traction control which was banned in that season, Senna was convinced of it. Certainly the early part of the season they were flying until the black box was taken and found to have the software capability to use traction control although they argued that they didn't use it. Oddly they didn't seem to have quite the same advantage subsequently. So not only did Schumacher cheat by deliberately taking Hill out (a view shared by many) but it's likely that their car was illegal.
Not arguing about 1994. Although Schumacher had three races fewer to win one more point in an inferior car (once Williams sorted theirs out mid-season and as you say Benetton's was, er, clarified). He came second in Spain including a fuel stop stuck in 5th gear!

In 1995 the Benetton Renault was at least as good as the Williams, maybe slightly better. Schumacher had an easier run at the title and Hill ran into Schumacher multiple times.

I think Adelaide affected him all year, Schumacher was in his head, which is exactly where he wanted.

Last edited:
Not arguing about 1994. Although Schumacher had three races fewer to win one more point in an inferior car (once Williams sorted theirs out mid-season and as you say Benetton's was, er, clarified). He came second in Spain including a fuel stop stuck in 5th gear!

In 1995 the Benetton Renault was at least as good as the Williams, maybe slightly better. Schumacher had an easier run at the title and Hill ran into Schumacher multiple times.

I think Adelaide affected him all year, Schumacher was in his head, which is exactly where he wanted.
Possibly so, but had the authorities acted then he may not have been. Guess we'll never know. Could argue that Hill had to deal with the death of his team mate in 94 also

Back