F1 2020

Tremendous spectacle today but for the wrong reason. Modern day gladiators is the term that springs to mind.

Truly vivid images in full HD of a sportsman cheating death. I was still shaking half an hour afterwards.

In other news:

Can Bottas fend off Verstappen for 2nd spot in the WDC?

How can Bahrain 2 be anywhere near as eventful as today's race?

Not sure how reliable this site is but:

Steiner said: “I just spoke with him, I talked with him on the phone he is in a clear state of mind, he is good.

“He is still staying in the hospital overnight they want to keep him there, but he told me and the doctor that he feels good, it seems nothing is broken.

“He has his hands bandaged from the burns but otherwise he has no burns so he was very upbeat, I would say. I am very happy

Been watching it back so many times and in awe of the medical car driver who just dove into the fireball to pull Grosjean out. That was pretty incredible and doubt many would have the same bravery to do so

Been watching F1 for the best part of 20 years and I've never been so shaken up seeing a crash happen live like that, for a few moments until RG got out I was convinced he was a goner. So nightmareish seeing a car erupt into instant flames like that live on screen. This is one of those properly blunt wake up calls which pays the sport a visit every few years and reminds it that the constant evolution of safety is of paramount importance.

I for one will admit I was part of the 'bollocks to the halo' when it was brought in however the Leclerc incident in spa a few years ago and this today have firmly shut up the likes of me and others who were complaining about it initially.

Been watching F1 for the best part of 20 years and I've never been so shaken up seeing a crash happen live like that, for a few moments until RG got out I was convinced he was a goner. So nightmareish seeing a car erupt into instant flames like that live on screen. This is one of those properly blunt wake up calls which pays the sport a visit every few years and reminds it that the constant evolution of safety is of paramount importance.

I for one will admit I was part of the 'bollocks to the halo' when it was brought in however the Leclerc incident in spa a few years ago and this today have firmly shut up the likes of me and others who were complaining about it initially.

The halo is the single greatest innovation in the sport in fairness. Remember shortly after it came in Grosjean I think ended up riding his car atop alonso, which similarly could have had terrible consequences. Highest of praise to Ross Brawn and his team on that one.

Just seen footage of him in hospital.

Both hands are burnt but he looks remarkably well which is great to see.

A strange day for F1.

It's left a lot of people even more shaken up than after Japan '14 despite the fact today we got confirmation the driver was okay unlike then (RIP Jules)...think it's the violence of the fire and wreckage that we saw and it's caught everyone totally off guard especially fire in a crash which resembles a 1970s horror accident.

It's sort of bonkers to me that the halo wasn't implented decades ago to be honest....baffling that it wasn't forced through right after Senna's crash seeing as though it would of saved him potentially and they got most other safety developments spot on in the few years after that (Hans device, raised cockpits, tethers, circuit layouts revolutionised etc).

The introduction of the halo fundamentally changed the nature of open cockpit racing

Therefore, it was bound to be controversial.

Since 94 we've had 3 major changes (sides bolstered; roll bar improvement and halo) which ultimately puts us on a trajectory to have a totally enclosed cockpit.

There was also the potential yesterday for the barrier to have trapped Grosjean inside the halo/cockpit with no chance of him getting out.

That won't have been lost on the powers that be so the risk of a driver burning to death at a live event will need to be mitigated.

The time and cost impact of changing every barrier or other identified risk makes that a medium to long term solution.

Short to medium term, and potentially the more pressing requirement, we can expect further changes to the cockpit, especially regarding access.

Astute observation. The camera cut away from the crash instantly. They knew it was serious.

The thought of a sportsman burning to death in 2020 is too barbaric to think about.

This incident reminds us that motorsport is dangerous no matter what safety measures are applied.

If can only be a good thing if the FIA look again at barriers, halo access, fuel cells, tethers, medical teams - the whole job.

Let’s hope Roman gets well but I hope he thinks that’s it - I’m done.

When I saw the crash live I thought he's dead then when it showed him being lead away by the marshals I thought how lucky he wasn't knocked unconscious, he'd have burned to.death before he woke up.

Anyone got a clue why they didnt change all the tyres?

I seen this on another forum. This was his 4th stint and he had no other new mediums or hards, but he did have the mediums that had only done the opening lap and another one behind the safety car before getting a punctured front right from Strolls accident, so nearly new. The track is rear limited anyway so they just kept the same front right and changed the other three as they deemed it better than stopping again and doing 2 stints on the softs. The guns used to trigger the light.

It's real apparently. As long as the compound is the same they don't have to change them all. They use the gun on the wheel as the gun needs to register that it's tightened the nut before the light goes green.
I wish I could verify that - for my own interest.

Anyone else know anything more about this?

Back