F1 2020

Hamilton is one of the biggest whoppers to walk the planet, however, F1 investigating him for wearing that t-shirt is exactly the reason he is wearing that t-shirt.

Ridiculous from F1

Hamilton is one of the biggest whoppers to walk the planet, however, F1 investigating him for wearing that t-shirt is exactly the reason he is wearing that t-shirt.

Ridiculous from F1

Has anything been said about what rule he has seen to have broken? Cant see anything online but maybe its just simething like only allowed race suit and F1 sponsored merchandise (cap and watches) if they have some basic rule like that to stop Paddy Power playing a driver to wear their pants over their race suit on the podium then they still have to investigate Lewis even if what he done has helped spread her name.

Has anything been said about what rule he has seen to have broken? Cant see anything online but maybe its just simething like only allowed race suit and F1 sponsored merchandise (cap and watches) if they have some basic rule like that to stop Paddy Power playing a driver to wear their pants over their race suit on the podium then they still have to investigate Lewis even if what he done has helped spread her name.
Presume it is something like you have suggested. It has had its desired effect anyway now, this is exactly what Hamilton will have wanted and expected to be fair.

Presume it is something like you have suggested. It has had its desired effect anyway now, this is exactly what Hamilton will have wanted and expected to be fair.

100% had the desired effect, will be interesting to see what happens when we get to the end of the season with races in countries where speaking up isn't so free, that's when Liberty and the FIA will be earning their money.

100% had the desired effect, will be interesting to see what happens when we get to the end of the season with races in countries where speaking up isn't so free, that's when Liberty and the FIA will be earning their money.
Well given they are happy enough to stage their races in these places does lend itself to a certain level of hypocrisy.

Has anything been said about what rule he has seen to have broken?
FIA say they’re none political (whilst giving tacist approval to the anti racism blm campaign), they’ll go with bringing the sport into disrepute I’d imagine.

they’ll see it as potential harming the imagine of the sport in the likes of America, Russia & China etc... $$$$$

FIA say they’re none political (whilst giving tacist approval to the anti racism blm campaign), they’ll go with bringing the sport into disrepute I’d imagine.

they’ll see it as potential harming the imagine of the sport in the likes of America, Russia & China etc... $$$$$

Are they doing the kneeling, we race as one and end racism tshirts next week in Russia? Cant just be me thinking this is crazy. Sure their was talk of Russia having fans in aswell.

Word of the week - Tacist.

Insert definition here "- - -"

Anyone think steel discs would help braking issues? These carbon brakes make braking so late - nice set of ventilated steel jobs - more overtaking????

How about a Flintstone under driver flap?

Driver additional power input could be an interesting variable on that boring MGUK nonsense
The steel disks idea was because the actual period of time drivers are under breaking with carbon disks is so short.

With steel disks the duration of breaking is longer opening up potential overtakes.

However, I understand this thinking runs against the basic premise of F1 - to be the pinnacle of motorsport.

The steel disks idea was because the actual period of time drivers are under breaking with carbon disks is so short.

With steel disks the duration of breaking is longer opening up potential overtakes.

However, I understand this thinking runs against the basic premise of F1 - to be the pinnacle of motorsport.

I remember when indy sensation Michael Andretti was having a mare at McLaren, there was a discussion about him having steel discs put on as he couldn't get used to F1 braking. A massive backwards step imho, but not as stupid as DRS or that reverse grid idea.

Are they doing the kneeling, we race as one and end racism tshirts next week in Russia? Cant just be me thinking this is crazy. Sure their was talk of Russia having fans in aswell.
i suppose that race will demonstrate just how powerful hamilton's global name is - i'd be disappointed if he himself doesnt lead from the front even others don't follow.

talk of up to 30,000 fans attending... part of me falls back on the lazy cold war trope that there will be 30,000 fans there whether they want to, or not...

Well given they are happy enough to stage their races in these places does lend itself to a certain level of hypocrisy.
Let's be honest as to not be hypocrites ourselves. We all said the Saudi's buying the mags was sportswashing, yet we're totally fine with races in similar places

Its a bit "difficult" to square away, tbh

Long post alert...

Liberty and the FIA have bravely and knowingly painted themselves into a bit of a corner with End Racism and I suspect this investigation is window dressing so as not to set too strong a precedent, send a message to the other drivers and try to keep a hold on a delicate balance, whilst privately entirely supporting Hamilton.

They have a rule about not making unauthorised political statements when the sport is truly global and visits places like Bahrain, Russia, China, Turkey and the United States of America - examples of places where civil liberties, racial equality and political freedom are limited in different ways.

The End Racism campaign is highly laudable and the right thing to do. It is very much a political statement, but it's approved from all quarters and has been sanctioned and the drivers given a lot of freedom to express themselves, which is a good thing.

It is also not something that any of the sport's sponsors would possibly see as controversial or negative on their own image. It's about as politically controversial as the FIA Action for Road Safety. There's no objection from anyone anywhere about them making this campaign, other than a few of the aforementioned racists on social media who are deciding not to watch "until he's gone".

So the problem isn't the sponsors. What about the governments of the countries they visit? Bear in mind also that these countries pay heavily to be part of F1 and the power rests with Liberty Media. The Gulf States visited by F1 are typically very open and aligned with many Western values (when they want to be). Aramco sponsors most of the races this year and haven't objected. China aren't in the championship this year so their attitude cannot be tested. End Racism is not going to make Putin veto the Russian GP or King Salman pull Aramco's sponsorship and bully the whole Gulf into vetoing their races. Trump wouldn't veto the USGP because of it, nor even because of Hamilton's direct attack on US police (he benefits from division in the US, as does Putin for that matter).

I think they're trying to foresee unforeseen consequences that by tolerating progressively more unauthorised statements, these protests could escalate and before long the drivers will be plastered with multiple political T shirts, and some of the politics may not be as palatable as others. They seem to want to make clear which political statements are allowed, rightly or wrongly. It's certainly understandable.

Take for instance the "2020 Formula One DHL Turkish Grand Prix" in November. There will be heavy advertising from Aramco, the Saudi government owned oil company. Say Hamilton or even Grosjean unveils a t shirt "Justice for Jamal Khashoggi"... highly embarrassing, probably not the end of the world, but allowed to proliferate could be extremely costly for F1. And what about in Russia this month "Justice for Alexei Navalny"? Or when we get back to China "Justice for Tibet" or "Justice for the persecuted Chinese Muslims"?

It's the thin end of the wedge when F1's superstar has impunity not just to campaign against racism but to start attacking countries, governments and paying hosts and I think this is what they're so afraid of. They agree with him but can't be seen to agree or allow every one of any driver's sentiments as it could get out of control. I don't know what Kvyat thinks of Putin or Nissany thinks about Palestine or Guanyu Zhou thinks about Tibet, or Carlos Sainz thinks about the Basque country, and F1 wants to keep it that way.

There's a lot of politics out there and a lot of cash coming from a lot of governments to be part of the circus. Liberty and the FIA have prodded the hornet's nest by embracing End Racism so well and so thoroughly, but they know that they can't afford to open any floodgates. They have to allow Hamilton to vent and be an ambassador but not risk other drivers making more and more inflammatory statements. It's not what F1 is about, and that's why End Racism has been so impactful as it stands alone, but it's a case of be careful what you wish for. Hamilton won't ever agree to have his messages screened or pre-approved, and F1 cannot afford to lose him, so they are on a bit of a knife edge until he retires. The sport has its rules; no driver is bigger than the sport, but he's pretty damn close.

Last edited:
Long post alert...
Excellent post mate.

That's the thing about free speech. You either have it, or you don't.
Anything in the middle is controlled-speech, and tbh, F1, Liberty, the FIA etc have every right to control what messages go out on their platform.
And if you don't like it, you can challenge it, and ultimately you can leave.

(As much as I agree with just about everything Lewis has done so far)

Looks like sky were wrong and FIA are not investigating Hamilton but just looking at their rules as to what is permitted for drivers pre and post race. Think thats very sensible of them.
It sounds like they thought about it and decided against it, and I can understand why! The news story that they were thinking about it was probably enough of a message, whereas an actual investigation could have ended up as terrible PR!

Looks like sky were wrong and FIA are not investigating Hamilton but just looking at their rules as to what is permitted for drivers pre and post race. Think thats very sensible of them.

No doubt somebody will be having a quiet word with Hamilton.

As others have said - me included much further up - he's absolutely done the right thing in bringing this tragic case to more people's attention.

F1 and their backers will be sh*tting themselves though but

Back