F1 2020

"In terms of racing, I race at the pinnacle of motorsport and in the foreseeable future Formula E is not going to be the pinnacle – and I want to be in the top echelon of the sport.

"For that reason, I don’t envisage racing in Formula E, but I can imagine myself being a part of something in the background."

This comment from Lewis sums up what F1 thinks about the rest of the motorsport world. They don't have much faith or hope in, or encouraging and positive things to say about, anything.

"In terms of racing, I race at the pinnacle of motorsport and in the foreseeable future Formula E is not going to be the pinnacle – and I want to be in the top echelon of the sport.

"For that reason, I don’t envisage racing in Formula E, but I can imagine myself being a part of something in the background."

This comment from Lewis sums up what F1 thinks about the rest of the motorsport world. They don't have much faith or hope in, or encouraging and positive things to say about, anything.
What's he said that's incorrect?

It is the pinnacle of the motor racing

While im a fan of formula E he’s not wrong half the time those drivers act like they are driving bumper cars. You ask any young driver and f1 is the dream it really is the pinnacle, the tech behind formula E is very likely the future but its not there yet and probably won’t be for a good few years.

While im a fan of formula E he’s not wrong half the time those drivers act like they are driving bumper cars. You ask any young driver and f1 is the dream it really is the pinnacle, the tech behind formula E is very likely the future but its not there yet and probably won’t be for a good few years.

And most of the time whilst I am a fan of Formula 1 I am not wrong half the time those drivers act like they are driving Scalextric cars on a track with only one lane. You are so used to seeing F1 you think that is how racing drivers ought to drive. You are unaccustomed to seeing drivers, in a saying I do like to use,"put the helmets on, take the gloves off and have a bloody good fight". You are unaccustomed to the strange sight of drivers having to fight for position.

Ever heard of the saying "rubbin' is racing"? Bumper to bumper, door to door, wheel to wheel racing. Trading paint. But doing so within the rules. Not doing so that it endangers life. They have done it down the generations in things like GT's, other forumula such as IndyCar presumably (including junior categories like F4) and Touring Cars as well as Rally Cross. Only F1 seems scared to do that. The new Netflix series "Formula One: Drive to Survive" I think massively exaggerated the number of overtaking and the number of battles.

If you are a fan of Formula E are you aware of the background of some of the drivers? Just because we may not know them by name doesn't mean they are no marks. These drivers have a history of racing in categories like Endurance racing and GT's where drivers are given greater freedom to fight. Did you see the battle at the end of the Morocco race between Max Guenther and Jean Eric Vergne? Brilliant racing. With both cars close to 0% battery life, Vergne in 2nd had to fend of Guenther who was on his arse for the last few laps and with 1% more battery life. You get good racing in F1 but just not like that continually.

And most of the time whilst I am a fan of Formula 1 I am not wrong half the time those drivers act like they are driving Scalextric cars on a track with only one lane. You are so used to seeing F1 you think that is how racing drivers ought to drive. You are unaccustomed to seeing drivers, in a saying I do like to use,"put the helmets on, take the gloves off and have a bloody good fight". You are unaccustomed to the strange sight of drivers having to fight for position.

Ever heard of the saying "rubbin' is racing"? Bumper to bumper, door to door, wheel to wheel racing. Trading paint. But doing so within the rules. Not doing so that it endangers life. They have done it down the generations in things like GT's, other forumula such as IndyCar presumably (including junior categories like F4) and Touring Cars as well as Rally Cross. Only F1 seems scared to do that. The new Netflix series "Formula One: Drive to Survive" I think massively exaggerated the number of overtaking and the number of battles.

If you are a fan of Formula E are you aware of the background of some of the drivers? Just because we may not know them by name doesn't mean they are no marks. These drivers have a history of racing in categories like Endurance racing and GT's where drivers are given greater freedom to fight. Did you see the battle at the end of the Morocco race between Max Guenther and Jean Eric Vergne? Brilliant racing. With both cars close to 0% battery life, Vergne in 2nd had to fend of Guenther who was on his arse for the last few laps and with 1% more battery life. You get good racing in F1 but just not like that continually.
I will just point out there have been 4 formula E champions, all previously have raced in formula 1 and have a combined singular podium between the lot of them. You watch overtakes in f1 and they are far superior to formula e, the latter 90% of the time is either attack mode or a divebomb using the walls to force cars out of the way. When millions upon millions is spent creating these cars from scratch do you think teams really want them playing bumper cars with them. If a driver can not over take without more contact than the odd bit of wheel banging they clearly arent a clean racer and shouldnt be in the highest level of racing.

Last edited:
I will just point out there have been 4 formula E champions, all previously have raced in formula 1 and have a combined singular podium between the lot of them. You watch overtakes in f1 and they are far superior to formula e, the latter 90% of the time is either attack mode or a divebomb using the walls to force cars out of the way. When millions upon millions is spent creating these cars from scratch do you think teams really want them playing bumper cars with them. If a driver can not over take without more contact than the odd bit of wheel banging they clearly arent a clean racer and shouldnt be in the highest level of racing.
I've seen a bit of FE (although not lately, so if its changed, my apologies). But the tracks are not inducing to overtaking, they are designed for battery-efficiency. Tight hairpins, so a lot of "ramming down the inside" is about it as far as overtaking goes. That and power-mismatch overtakes due to battery modes.

Its a great series and will actually lead to some tech improvements in the real world, but I must admit, I don't feel any desire to watch it.

I've seen a bit of FE (although not lately, so if its changed, my apologies). But the tracks are not inducing to overtaking, they are designed for battery-efficiency. Tight hairpins, so a lot of "ramming down the inside" is about it as far as overtaking goes. That and power-mismatch overtakes due to battery modes.

Its a great series and will actually lead to some tech improvements in the real world, but I must admit, I don't feel any desire to watch it.
I totally agree until they have the tech to handle the big open circuits it just won't be on the same level of racing as F1

F1 bosses have just met and agreed a couple of things.
Once the season restarts they are gonna squeeze in as many races as possible, could even shorten race weekends to do triple headers.
Looks like the new regulations set to be delayed until 2022.

Teams have now voted unanimously to delay the 2021 regulations until 2022. Sensible decision imho, Mercedes will be delighted.
At this stage, I was thinking it'd be worth cancelling this season - stop all development of the current cars and just race them as exhibitions if the change presents - and move onto doing the 2021 regs.

But I guess that wasn't possible.

But I guess that wasn't possible.
i think they fancy getting their money's worth out the current motors? not followed any of it this week like so i've no idea what the thinking behind it was. shame about monaco, thought they'd have been well up for that august race - probably impossible to rearrange a street race though. more worrying matters at hand than to engineer the place around cars driving in circle... with all the effort the dutch have put into their race, and max's popularity you'd think they'll have f1 cars going round it in some shape or form at some point this year.

i think they fancy getting their money's worth out the current motors? not followed any of it this week like so i've no idea what the thinking behind it was. shame about monaco, thought they'd have been well up for that august race - probably impossible to rearrange a street race though. more worrying matters at hand than to engineer the place around cars driving in circle... with all the effort the dutch have put into their race, and max's popularity you'd think they'll have f1 cars going round it in some shape or form at some point this year.
Rumours today that the Dutch GP won’t happen this year

Back