F1 2020

If he wins this season then next I could see him thinking I am the record holder for titles, single race wins and pretty much every record you can hold and still alive so why not bow out now on the very top. He has plenty of other stuff that will keep him busy for this life and another 5 and wouldn't have anything to prove to anyone if he is ahead of everyone in the titles. Also as much as I can't see it if Mercedes are not the best team under the new regs he might go 3 years coming 3rd in the Championship, it will do nothing to his legacy but might annoy him so could get him to go out on top IF he wins next year as well.

I don’t think the chances are high of Merc not being on top come 2022 though. As above, I think both Ferrari and red bull have their own messes to deal with before they can think about competing for titles again. Both are absolutely miles behind and I don’t see this technical regs as the massive reset button that the last set were.

I don’t think the chances are high of Merc not being on top come 2022 though. As above, I think both Ferrari and red bull have their own messes to deal with before they can think about competing for titles again. Both are absolutely miles behind and I don’t see this technical regs as the massive reset button that the last set were.

I agree I cant see them dropping, was just more thinking of reasons why he might stop. I think the main one would be him thinking I'm rich enough, the record holder and healthy so why risk it.

Its very rare that we win at tennis. We've had numerous f1 champions though. I really don't think its because he's black and I'm sure he will get a knighthood at some point.

The honours system has some less well publicised protocols.

Potential recipients can unofficially petition for an honour as well as being put forward for one.

I assume there is quite a bit of 'too and fro' to avoid The Beatles scenario (where they gave them back) or The Lord Arch-hole scenario (where he turned out to a massive criminal).

It's also possible it may not suit Hamiltons image at this point in time so he may already have been approached and said "when I retire"

Certain sports get you knighthoods. Cricket is a knighthood sport, rugby is a knighthood sport, athletics is a knighthood sport. Football is an MBE sport, and usually for contributions outside of the sport. F1 seems to have a mix of CBEs, OBEs, MBEs and the odd KBE. I think it's a bit odd to have Sir Allister Cook opening for Essex but they did wait until he'd retired from the international arena where he had earned his award. Sir Andy Murray shouting at umpires about a bad line call looks rather more silly, but tennis is not much of a knighthood sport - then again Britain isn't much of a tennis country!

Apparently Seb Coe, sorry Baron Coe, CH, KBE, was previously the chairman of the Sports Honours Committee which recommends the candidates, and it is now The Rt Hon Sir Hugh Michael Robertson KCMG PC DL, who is chairman of the British Olympic Association... like I say, athletics is a knighthood sport!

My personal view is that they're now waiting until he has broken every record before bestowing it on him, which is fair enough. They'd look a bit silly knighting him after three championships when he goes on to win another five. His MBE does look a little bit weedy now. I don't think it's anything to do with being black.

Maybe Lewis does not care. He might feel it represents a part of society he wants to change.

I have no idea, but just a guess, I am sure he would rather have his title winning car.

And Mercedes do NOT want to give him it.

It's also possible it may not suit Hamiltons image at this point in time so he may already have been approached and said "when I retire"
I’d be surprised if it ever fitted his image to be part of the establishment, mind I had no idea he already had an honour (was that the more corporate Ron Dennis era mclaren Hamilton?).

alpha tauri confirm gasley for another season, fairly predictable although takes him out the red bull seat. suspect its between the hulk & albon for the chance to be handed their arse on a plate by max next season.

alpha tauri confirm gasley for another season, fairly predictable although takes him out the red bull seat. suspect its between the hulk & albon for the chance to be handed their arse on a plate by max next season.
Another shocker at Imola and it’s the Hulk’s seat for ‘21

Another shocker at Imola and it’s the Hulk’s seat for ‘21
getting lapped by your team mate is never a good look sadly, fairly sure they've said they want the second seat sorted either by or at the turkish gp? for some reason i don't see perez as a 'fit' at red bull.

getting lapped by your team mate is never a good look sadly, fairly sure they've said they want the second seat sorted either by or at the turkish gp? for some reason i don't see perez as a 'fit' at red bull.
Nor Hulk. RB have, in recent memory at least, relied on their own programme. But frankly, there's a gap that needs filling.

Nor Hulk. RB have, in recent memory at least, relied on their own programme. But frankly, there's a gap that needs filling.
Not sure if you saw Horner's interview with Brundle at the weekend; basically said if Albon doesn't come through they will look outside the programme to try and get two cars up with the Mercs.

First job of any driver is to beat his team mate. Getting lapped has gotta hurt

Not sure if you saw Horner's interview with Bundle at the weekend; basically said if Albon doesn't come through they will look outside the programme to try and get two cars up with the Mercs.
Aye, that's what I was saying really. They have to because they don't really have a choice (unless they stick it out with Albon), they have to break with their normal plans and go external.

Does anyone think if RB get Hulk or Perez that they will be able to beat or give Max some serious competition? That car will be designed to work for Max and hes been there for so long and they hope to keep him so any future cars will be designed perfectly for him.

They will probably be better than Albon and Perez brings in money but they will be top 3 in constructor champ next year with Albon (or another red bull driver) surely so is it worth tearing up your DNA for 2 years with Hulk or Perez?

Back