F1 2019

Their stated aim is world cities as venues.

There will be one in London within 5 years

Whether Silverstone can be accommodated too is doubtful

they also stated that they wanted to reinforce the "traditional" venues too... i think there will be a balance between the old & the new...

The original plan for a Grand Prix in central London, using The Mall as pit straight, has been dumped as impractical. It's not just the disruption of race week, and the infrastructure nightmare before and after. Most of the road surfaces would have to be replaced too, which makes the project no longer financially viable. The current proposal of doing it in Docklands might well take over from Silverstone, maybe alternating years down the line. It would be hard to let go of Silverstone completely, as an iconic, historic circuit.

The original plan for a Grand Prix in central London, using The Mall as pit straight, has been dumped as impractical. It's not just the disruption of race week, and the infrastructure nightmare before and after. Most of the road surfaces would have to be replaced too, which makes the project no longer financially viable. The current proposal of doing it in Docklands might well take over from Silverstone, maybe alternating years down the line. It would be hard to let go of Silverstone completely, as an iconic, historic circuit.
For me, Silverstone lost some of that iconic feeling when they changed the circuit layout and moved the pits straight a few years ago, it's never had the same flow since the changes.

For me, Silverstone lost some of that iconic feeling when they changed the circuit layout and moved the pits straight a few years ago, it's never had the same flow since the changes.

Agreed, lost the flow completely since they got rid of Bridge and Priory. They could still have kept that and the fan arena section there now.

Same as Germany, it was sacrilege what they did to that track.

Agreed as well. The new Hockenheim is awful, only memorable races have been the 'Fernando is faster than you' Ferrari team orders incident and Vettel crashing out last year... standard Tilke-drome for you.

Nothing replaces the roar of a V10 (although they are sadly the past too) blasting through the old straights in the forest bouncing off the rev limiter at 18,000 rpm and the driver hurling on the brakes into the chicanes, then emerging back into the arena section with the packed grandstands full of colour and people blowing airhorns. Last year the place was half empty.

*Awaits the dinosaur remarks*

Have to agree.

Main problem was how hard it was to overtake on the main straight route to copse being flat out. So they added a new straight, with a similar bloody corner at the end ffs!

Reb Bull will have had all the data from Toro Rosso last season so it wasn't entirely a jump in the dark, but perhaps Ricciardo's decision wrong footed them which limited their options.

That being said, getting lapped by your team mate, even though Verstappen is arguably the quickest out there, is a pretty dreadful performance.

Sounded to me like Horner was a bit hacked off but I think they'll stick with him for now.

Lando is starting to look the real deal. Remarkably calm and collected for a 19yo and he drove very sensibly at the start.

Good to see McLaren looking competitive again and that pairing of Norris with Sainz looks like an inspired choice.
I know nothing about F1 as I don't follow it but a fella I've worked with for years has had his Lad working with Mercedes F1 design team the last two years. It's been good getting snippets back how it's structured and the bonus systems etc.
Anyway, the lad works in Engine design and apparently nearly all of their most experienced designers have quit with most heading to McLaren, same with most of the other departments.
Next seasons engine is already designed but reckons they'll struggle after that and McLaren will benefit from the new influx.

I know nothing about F1 as I don't follow it but a fella I've worked with for years has had his Lad working with Mercedes F1 design team the last two years. It's been good getting snippets back how it's structured and the bonus systems etc.
Anyway, the lad works in Engine design and apparently nearly all of their most experienced designers have quit with most heading to McLaren, same with most of the other departments.
Next seasons engine is already designed but reckons they'll struggle after that and McLaren will benefit from the new influx.
If that’s true, and I hope it is to be honest, I could see them throwing a load of money at Verstappen to be their no1 driver.

Thanks for posting. Interesting stuff.

Just found out quite recently but a couple of people I know work as drivers for McLaren - the road car side, not the GP team.

Thanks for posting. Interesting stuff.

Just found out quite recently but a couple of people I know work as drivers for McLaren - the road car side, not the GP team.
As I say I don’t follow it so don’t know the ins and outs but did Mercedes have a problem with the car overheating in the last couple of races? If so apparently the tweaked cooling part is sat on the desk of a lad who jacked and no one knows about it as everyone else has gone or is going

Odd, given that mclaren buy their engines from Renault

Back