F1 2019

2021 rules are all about closer driving (better racing) and cost saving for the shitter teams. If they don't need to develop a gearbox, then it's a bonus for them.
You could say the same about engines, chassis etc though. Its a constructors championship, you have to build your own car.

I don't mind minor parts being off the shelf, but the chassis, aero, engine and gearbox are the main bits.

Its a no for me. UNLESS its an optional stock part that the smaller teams can buy, but the bigger teams don't have to.
I could almost live with standard parts across the board as long as they're not mandatory, and cheap enough to get 26 cars onto the grid again and them not be total shit.

Mclaren had a decent day yesterday, by their own recent standards... should be interesting to keep an eye on his lap times today and see where he shapes up against Sainz.

A year ago he was the coming thing, eclipsed a touch by Russell in last years F2 season it could be that the Mclaren is a far better car than the Williams this season.

I don't mind minor parts being off the shelf, but the chassis, aero, engine and gearbox are the main bits.

Its a no for me. UNLESS its an optional stock part that the smaller teams can buy, but the bigger teams don't have to.
Don't the likes of Haas & Torro Rosso already push the existing rules to the limits with what they get 'off the shelf' from their parent companies? Perhaps Sauber will get more from Ferrari this year too?

Last edited:
Don't the likes of Haas & Torro Rosso already push the existing rules to the limits with what they get 'off the shelf' from their parent companies? Perhaps Sauber will get more from Ferrari this year too?
Blatent B teams really. I there were 13 constructors in F1, then I'd be totally against it, but without them, I doubt we'd have 20 cars on the grid.

I do think B teams should have some type of limit though. Maybe the drivers can have no more than 2 season's worth of race starts or something.
That is, if they officially become B teams, which they actually aren't.

You could say the same about engines, chassis etc though. Its a constructors championship, you have to build your own car.

I could almost live with standard parts across the board as long as they're not mandatory, and cheap enough to get 26 cars onto the grid again and them not be total shit.
Could be the case that most of the teams have developed gearboxes to the point where there are no gains to be had.

A bit like cigarette advertising back in the day; everybody thew millions at it to stay at a stalemate. Then advertising on fags was banned and nothing changed (except the companies made more money as they didn't need to advertise).

Could be the case that most of the teams have developed gearboxes to the point where there are no gains to be had.
You can imagine the moaning though, if Merc/Ferrari lost a couple of races due to gearbox failure, and start pointing fingers, and saying "this would never have happened with our own gearbox".

Although no more penalties for changing gearboxes would be better. There's no performance gain from changing one because of a crash!

hehe, Riccardo's car has fell off :lol:

Last edited:
I've not seen anything about the testing today - have Ferrari driven off into the distance again?
Fastest lap and completed the most laps last I saw but you cant really read much into it at this stage. McLaren were second on the timesheets! It will be a quick car without a doubt but there are too many unknowns at this point.

From BBC Sport

Posted at 9:159:15
Williams have fired up the motor
Chris Medland

F1 journalist in Barcelona

We’ve got a fire-up behind these screens at Williams. The FW42 is alive, if not ready to hit the track for a few hours yet.

Back