F1 2018

As the 2018 season is concluded, is it time for a 2019 thread? Or get a mod to make this one year neutral and become an *+^% official %^+* thread?

As the 2018 season is concluded, is it time for a 2019 thread? Or get a mod to make this one year neutral and become an *+^% official %^+* thread?

I agree. The biggest change that is needed in F1 is to ban the use of the word "retire" or any derivation of the word when referring to a driver leaving F1 for another series. They did it with Mark Webber when he left for Porsche's factory WEC program and now they are using it to describe Fernando Alonso's departure to IndyCar. I am sure they did it with Jenson Button too when he left F1 for SuperGT in Japan.

There is a horrible feeling of finality about F1 and a feeling of monopolization over the world of motor racing. Like there is no other series that exists outside of Formula One. The only other series and type of racing that exists is F1. Once you leave it is like you just disappear and/or just can't or don't continue driving for a competitive team in a competitive series. You stop being a professional race driver.

I feel so strongly about this. I am a huge fan of Touring Cars, Rallying and Sportscars and I feel this is ignoring our very presence. Is there anyone like maybe broadcasters or the FIA I can talk to about this? Get my feelings over as a fan of motor-racing? I am guessing there isn't.

I agree. The biggest change that is needed in F1 is to ban the use of the word "retire" or any derivation of the word when referring to a driver leaving F1 for another series. They did it with Mark Webber when he left for Porsche's factory WEC program and now they are using it to describe Fernando Alonso's departure to IndyCar. I am sure they did it with Jenson Button too when he left F1 for SuperGT in Japan.

There is a horrible feeling of finality about F1 and a feeling of monopolization over the world of motor racing. Like there is no other series that exists outside of Formula One. The only other series and type of racing that exists is F1. Once you leave it is like you just disappear and/or just can't or don't continue driving for a competitive team in a competitive series. You stop being a professional race driver.

I feel so strongly about this. I am a huge fan of Touring Cars, Rallying and Sportscars and I feel this is ignoring our very presence. Is there anyone like maybe broadcasters or the FIA I can talk to about this? Get my feelings over as a fan of motor-racing? I am guessing there isn't.
But they did retire from F1.

Yep, I find the use of "retire" to be very stupid.

That's like saying a footballer retired from premier league football when moving overseas. Its nonsense.

You retire from your job (sport), not from one employer, or one role.

They didn't quit racing altogether though, did they. Which is what many people in F1 who use that word seem to imply. Why don't they say something more apt like "move on from" or "quit".
In Alonso's case it is being widely reported that he is retiring from F1 but is still chasing the triple crown and success on other Formulae.
Honestly, you are reading too much into it.

In Alonso's case it is being widely reported that he is retiring from F1 but is still chasing the triple crown and success on other Formulae.
Honestly, you are reading too much into it.
You can't retire from F1 though.

That's like someone retiring from cleaning the bogs for the council, in order to clean toilets for the metro centre instead. Its just changing jobs, not retiring.

You can't retire from F1 though.

That's like someone retiring from cleaning the bogs for the council, in order to clean toilets for the metro centre instead. Its just changing jobs, not retiring.
But you can retire from international football and still play in the domestic game. Similarly you can retire from the professional game and start playing at grass roots level. Less common but it happens.

Back