F1 2017

Sauber signed with Ferrari - multi year deal for engines. Hopefully that means the current engines, not last year's ones - and that will make Sauber much more competitive.
Plus, looks like Leclerce might get a seat there next season - very possibly a future world champion there.

Bad for Honda though - a 2nd team would have been excellent for them - would have given them more reasons to push forward.

Sauber signed with Ferrari - multi year deal for engines. Hopefully that means the current engines, not last year's ones - and that will make Sauber much more competitive.
Plus, looks like Leclerce might get a seat there next season - very possibly a future world champion there.

Bad for Honda though - a 2nd team would have been excellent for them - would have given them more reasons to push forward.
Honda will be dropped by McLaren by 2019 imo

That's if Honda don't flounce off in a huff before then like they did in 2008.

i wonder if the FIA will step in somehow, if mclaren drop them it doesnt look good for Honda - basically no one will touch them with a barge pole... rumour of a Red Bull link up with Ilmor via Aston Martin apparently... and Porsche sniffing around too some say... but will they all look at the crap honda have and wonder if its just an expensive PR disaster?

i wonder if the FIA will step in somehow, if mclaren drop them it doesnt look good for Honda - basically no one will touch them with a barge pole... rumour of a Red Bull link up with Ilmor via Aston Martin apparently... and Porsche sniffing around too some say... but will they all look at the crap honda have and wonder if its just an expensive PR disaster?
You mean Cosworth I guess? Ilmore was bought by Mercedes wasn't it?

Honda will be dropped by McLaren by 2019 imo

Honda really need to re-commit, and a 2nd team would have helped them convince their paymasters to push harder.
Now it looks likely they'll be dropped completely by the end of this year - although I don't see anyone rushing to supply McLaren with engines, which is a big shame.

Could the FIA intervene and create a spec engine that anyone can buy? Perhaps let Honda develop and test it without penalties until its competative?

You mean Cosworth I guess? Ilmore was bought by Mercedes wasn't it?

Honda really need to re-commit, and a 2nd team would have helped them convince their paymasters to push harder.
Now it looks likely they'll be dropped completely by the end of this year - although I don't see anyone rushing to supply McLaren with engines, which is a big shame.

Could the FIA intervene and create a spec engine that anyone can buy? Perhaps let Honda develop and test it without penalties until its competative?
They went back for Alonso so I'd say they go back begging to Mercedes

Of all the people they could replace Palmer with, Kubica would be the biggest insult. Kubica was going to be a superb driver, but since his injury any talk of him returning to F1 has been purely speculative. All of the realistic reports seem to suggest that he will never regain full control of his arm and that at best he expects he could only race in F1 with greatly diminished performances, and that he would be completely uncompetitive on street tracks (not that there are many of them any more). Every now and then they seem to stick him in a car and see how fast he can go, but I think it is more for the sponsors than anything else. He is proving that he can compete in other classes of racing. His brain still works, but his arm can no longer manipulate the wheel in the cramped conditions of a Formula 1 car.

Palmer has not really had a fair go of it, but he gives the impression that he knows it and is not being fun to be around because of it. British drivers are not getting many chances in recent times , with the likes of Paul di Resta and Anthony Davidson seemingly passing through the sport and losing out on seats to lesser drivers.

He spend 2011 to 2016 in rallying competing mainly for M-Sport in the WRC. I doubt he could just get straight into an F1 seat. It was OK for Raikkonen. He only raced for Citroen WRT in the WRC for I think two seasons. Kubica also isn't as good a driver as Kimi.

Back