F1 2017

you don't win 3, 4 or 7 World titles by not being a good racer..

the jenson button rule applied to someone else now?
But you can win them by being fast and not having to race. There is a difference between having the ability to put down the fastest lap times and a drivers race craft - the don't necessarily go hand in hand. For what it's worth, I have no doubt that Hamilton has the ability to do both.

The Button situation was different, yes there was an element of luck involved in his Championship win. You can say that for most World Championship wins. This is purely my oppinion of course, but Rosberg is a coward, he won the title because his faster teammate had more reliability issues than he did. He then ran away from it as he knew he wouldn't be able to defend his title, he should have stayed and fought.

His idea is to put in "non championship" races so that they can test new ideas with no consequences. i.e. new quali formats and the like.
I saw that mooted early doors, it would be a great idea.

i know nowt about that. whats this ?
he mooted the idea of bringing back the old race of champions that they used to have at brands or silverstone... with the theory that you could monkey around with the rules and formats, see what works what doesnt without taking anything away from the F1 Championship brand.

it possibly a way to get back to the core historic euro tracks that liberty want, whilst also meaning some tinpot country and can host a one off kudos race out of season... condense the championship season perhaps but then stick a few warm weather tracks for the winter? like the old tasmin series etc... perhaps a bit like what the RoC did in the likes of Miami etc...

For what it's worth, I have no doubt that Hamilton has the ability to do both.
agreed, i was suggesting its the same stick people beat vettel with, and to a lesser degree schumi... i just don't think you can win as many races, as many championships between the three purely with a heavy right foot.

Last edited:
button went from 14th to 5th at interlagos to win, the advantage of the double diffucer was over by bahrain earlier in the season

oh and montreal 11, the best win in modern formula one

I STILL have money in my Party Poker account from the winnings I made when I bet on him when he was dead last.

I STILL have money in my Party Poker account from the winnings I made when I bet on him when he was dead last.
Mind, I wasted about half of the pot last season making shit F1 bets :lol:

Last edited:
Lifted from Reddit

With the Australian GP this weekend (do remember the clocks change if you set your alarm) I think I should do the run down I said I would do when I stopped the weekly posts.

I'll start with a small bit of housekeeping. I plan to do Review after the season is over. I also to give the same or similar treatment to the 24 hours of le mans, Indy 500, spa 24 hours, Macau GP and the GP2 season (now FIA F2). I may do a full season one for everything but that is a long way off. Also tomorrow (I think) I will also do Moto GP

Races
This year the 20 race season starts around the streets of Albert Park, Melbourne. Next, we head to china with its 1.2 Km straight. we then head fo a race is in the night in Bahrain. Russia's race around the winter Olympic stadiums then rounds out the first set of flyaway races.

Spain hosts the first firmly European race of the year, then the most prestigious race of the year takes place in Monaco. the European season the has a short gap to go to a race on an island in the st Lawrence seaway. Azerbaijan is next up, moved this year not to clash with Le Mans.

Austria will once again host the GP on the fantastic looking Red Bull ring. Following on from that F1 returns to where it had its first race 67 years ago, Silverstone in Northamptonshire. Next, we move on to the Hungarian GP which will either have one of the best or one of the worst races of the year before the summer break.

The season restarts after the summer in the Ardennes forests at Spa Belgium. then we come to the one Ferrari want to win, the Italian GP from Monza as it has been every year bar 1980.

We start the end of season flyaway races under the lights of Singapore for one of the longest races in terms of time of the year. We then head 170miles to the Malaysian capital for a race around the Sepang track. Japan hosts next on the only figure of 8 track of the year at Suzuka.

Texas continues with the US GP around the really modern CoTA. Then we come to Mexico city around the highest track of the year. Interlagos in Brazil then comes next for one of the most entertaining GP with weather that can change rapidly. Then comes the final race of the year from Abu Dhabi, The race starts in the day and ends in the night for a spectacle.

Drivers
Now let's start with the two drivers full season drivers.

• Lewis Hamilton- he is a 3-time champion and among many people, he is the favourite for this year too. Last year I think it safe to say he was unlucky but the form was there for most of it. His chances though depend on the Mercedes.

• Jolyon Palmer- He earned a second year at Renault after a year that wasn't that great so will be looking to impress. He did win the GP2 title though against fellow driver Vandoorne and ex F1 driver Nasr. He isn't slow by any means but he needs to prove that he is more than just a pay driver
Next up the British reserve drivers

• Williams keep Paul Di Resta on once more. The Scottish driver was in formula 1 from 2011 until 2013 and does race in the highly competitive DTM championship so If he does get the call up then he won't be a slouch

• Mclaren have probably the most overqualified reserve driver ever with the 2009 Champion, If he will actually drive is another question though.

• Although not a reserve driver as such it is worth noting that the Mercedes Junior team has 3 drivers 2 are driving in F1. George Russell of Kings Lynn is (just) valid for a super licence and is the only one not in F1 so may end up in a team through Wehrlein or Ocon getting called up to Merc (although that is a long shot)
Teams
let us start the teams off with the 2 fully British teams

• Williams had a bit of a mixed testing, they had good pace but for much of it, they weren't running. Lance Stroll will want to put the performance behind him although his first year in Formula 3 was also crash-filled (but fast none the less) but Massa is very well experienced and has a good head on his shoulders so should be able to keep points rolling in. They are not going to fight for wins but podiums are on the cards

• Mclaren going by testing are going to be in for a woeful season. Honda looks like they have done backwards, I expect that we will see a messy breakup for Mclaren and Honda as in testing they were for a lot of it broken down and even when they were going it wasn't fast. Alonso claimed they were 30kph down on the other cars and they were only ahead of Sauber in terms of lap times. On the bright side their drivers. Vandoorne is a very promising young driver and Alonso is a 2 time champion so there is not much worry there
For the UK teams under foreign licences

• First up the reigning world champions Mercedes. The team itself has its roots in the Tyrrell team which became BAR, Honda then Brawn. The team is based in Brackey Northamptonshire. Ferrari looks like they are in a position to topple them but that has been said many times in the past including last year.

• Red Bull is, in my opinion, the best thing about Milton Keynes but look like they will be third of the top 3 teams so they have a good chance but title at the moment looks as if it is too long of a shot.

• Force India are one of the best teams out there, on a Budget about a third that of Red Bull and yet finished 4th last year. I think they can match that this year, Perez has shown himself to be a fantastic driver and Ocon is young but he won European F3 in 1 year which shows his pace.

• Renault last year really was not great but testing has made them look quite fast and for sure better than last year. I don't rate Palmer that highly but Hulkenberg I think is a better driver to have than Magnussen

• Hass are worth a mention as they do have one of 2 of their bases here in the UK although it is just for maintaining the cars. I think this year will be a little better than most of last year although the first 2 races of last year being such good results I think will make things look worse this year even if the car is better.

Lifted from Reddit

With the Australian GP this weekend (do remember the clocks change if you set your alarm) I think I should do the run down I said I would do when I stopped the weekly posts.

I'll start with a small bit of housekeeping. I plan to do Review after the season is over. I also to give the same or similar treatment to the 24 hours of le mans, Indy 500, spa 24 hours, Macau GP and the GP2 season (now FIA F2). I may do a full season one for everything but that is a long way off. Also tomorrow (I think) I will also do Moto GP

Races
This year the 20 race season starts around the streets of Albert Park, Melbourne. Next, we head to china with its 1.2 Km straight. we then head fo a race is in the night in Bahrain. Russia's race around the winter Olympic stadiums then rounds out the first set of flyaway races.

Spain hosts the first firmly European race of the year, then the most prestigious race of the year takes place in Monaco. the European season the has a short gap to go to a race on an island in the st Lawrence seaway. Azerbaijan is next up, moved this year not to clash with Le Mans.

Austria will once again host the GP on the fantastic looking Red Bull ring. Following on from that F1 returns to where it had its first race 67 years ago, Silverstone in Northamptonshire. Next, we move on to the Hungarian GP which will either have one of the best or one of the worst races of the year before the summer break.

The season restarts after the summer in the Ardennes forests at Spa Belgium. then we come to the one Ferrari want to win, the Italian GP from Monza as it has been every year bar 1980.

We start the end of season flyaway races under the lights of Singapore for one of the longest races in terms of time of the year. We then head 170miles to the Malaysian capital for a race around the Sepang track. Japan hosts next on the only figure of 8 track of the year at Suzuka.

Texas continues with the US GP around the really modern CoTA. Then we come to Mexico city around the highest track of the year. Interlagos in Brazil then comes next for one of the most entertaining GP with weather that can change rapidly. Then comes the final race of the year from Abu Dhabi, The race starts in the day and ends in the night for a spectacle.

Drivers
Now let's start with the two drivers full season drivers.

• Lewis Hamilton- he is a 3-time champion and among many people, he is the favourite for this year too. Last year I think it safe to say he was unlucky but the form was there for most of it. His chances though depend on the Mercedes.

• Jolyon Palmer- He earned a second year at Renault after a year that wasn't that great so will be looking to impress. He did win the GP2 title though against fellow driver Vandoorne and ex F1 driver Nasr. He isn't slow by any means but he needs to prove that he is more than just a pay driver
Next up the British reserve drivers

• Williams keep Paul Di Resta on once more. The Scottish driver was in formula 1 from 2011 until 2013 and does race in the highly competitive DTM championship so If he does get the call up then he won't be a slouch

• Mclaren have probably the most overqualified reserve driver ever with the 2009 Champion, If he will actually drive is another question though.

• Although not a reserve driver as such it is worth noting that the Mercedes Junior team has 3 drivers 2 are driving in F1. George Russell of Kings Lynn is (just) valid for a super licence and is the only one not in F1 so may end up in a team through Wehrlein or Ocon getting called up to Merc (although that is a long shot)
Teams
let us start the teams off with the 2 fully British teams

• Williams had a bit of a mixed testing, they had good pace but for much of it, they weren't running. Lance Stroll will want to put the performance behind him although his first year in Formula 3 was also crash-filled (but fast none the less) but Massa is very well experienced and has a good head on his shoulders so should be able to keep points rolling in. They are not going to fight for wins but podiums are on the cards

• Mclaren going by testing are going to be in for a woeful season. Honda looks like they have done backwards, I expect that we will see a messy breakup for Mclaren and Honda as in testing they were for a lot of it broken down and even when they were going it wasn't fast. Alonso claimed they were 30kph down on the other cars and they were only ahead of Sauber in terms of lap times. On the bright side their drivers. Vandoorne is a very promising young driver and Alonso is a 2 time champion so there is not much worry there
For the UK teams under foreign licences

• First up the reigning world champions Mercedes. The team itself has its roots in the Tyrrell team which became BAR, Honda then Brawn. The team is based in Brackey Northamptonshire. Ferrari looks like they are in a position to topple them but that has been said many times in the past including last year.

• Red Bull is, in my opinion, the best thing about Milton Keynes but look like they will be third of the top 3 teams so they have a good chance but title at the moment looks as if it is too long of a shot.

• Force India are one of the best teams out there, on a Budget about a third that of Red Bull and yet finished 4th last year. I think they can match that this year, Perez has shown himself to be a fantastic driver and Ocon is young but he won European F3 in 1 year which shows his pace.

• Renault last year really was not great but testing has made them look quite fast and for sure better than last year. I don't rate Palmer that highly but Hulkenberg I think is a better driver to have than Magnussen

• Hass are worth a mention as they do have one of 2 of their bases here in the UK although it is just for maintaining the cars. I think this year will be a little better than most of last year although the first 2 races of last year being such good results I think will make things look worse this year even if the car is better.
or read joe saward

What time is Quali and the Race this weekend?

What time is Quali and the Race this weekend?
Looks like both start at 6am. A 5am start doesn't seem too bad actually. Or will it be an hour earlier with clocks changing etc?

Last edited:
Ta

Blimey. Rolex been in that long ?
Been back long? Nice to see you on here again. Wont be the same for me without my beloved JB racing. Honda have massively failed. How can Mclaren produce such an awesome sportscar but when it comes to F1 and with Honda...it's embarrassing. Alonso has squandered his final years. He wont get those back again.

Been back long? Nice to see you on here again. Wont be the same for me without my beloved JB racing. Honda have massively failed. How can Mclaren produce such an awesome sportscar but when it comes to F1 and with Honda...it's embarrassing. Alonso has squandered his final years. He wont get those back again.
About a week. Been banned once already :cool:

MCL are fuming at HONDA
Would t surprise me if alsonso walks

About a week. Been banned once already :cool:

MCL are fuming at HONDA
Would t surprise me if alsonso walks

I was hearing rumours that McLaren are struggling and it's a co-ordinated effort within the team to tarnish Honda to hide there own failures. Reckon there's any truth in that?

Back