Eyesore Britain

Absolute nonsense 😂😂
Posters on here were moaning about Labour introducing schemes designed to get people back to work and stopping benefits.

Economic inactivity has dropped from 23.2% to 21.9% in 20 years.
Go back another 20 years and it was 25.9% under the Tories.

Some people just see what they want to see.

Council houses were policed by councils/councillors not companies such as Gentoo or Believe Housing, you could lose your home if you brought the area where you were living down etc.

Gentoo are a much more strict landlord the the council ever were mind.

Posters on here were moaning about Labour introducing schemes designed to get people back to work and stopping benefits.

Economic inactivity has dropped from 23.2% to 21.9% in 20 years.
Go back another 20 years and it was 25.9% under the Tories.

Some people just see what they want to see.
Their "arguments" don't add up. Total confirmation bias.

That’s why the working class man turned their back on Labour mate. I’m on the coal face of society , take it from me I’m right on this one.

People do choose benefits as a career choice. It’s just the way it is and seems quite appealing if you have bairns, rent a house and so on.
Well the 'working class man' deserves everything they get.
One would have thought they would have come to their senses after 14 years.

Reminds me of the state of the place growing up in the 80s and early 90s. At least councils could afford to pick up after litter bugs then, we had keep Britain tidy campaigns and there wasn't so much unnecessary plastic - though there was glass everywhere.

It’s everywhere like. I live in Northamptonshire and fly tipping, potholes and litter is everywhere. Drove down to the Cotswolds a few weeks ago, and it’s the same there.

Then couple that with the fact it’s all so f***ing expensive, services like water are decimated, council tax has risen again, the waterways are toxic, the NHS is on life support, etc etc

It’s truly terrible.

I might be little bit paranoid or anxious, but things just feel a bit edgy, like everywhere I go. Just this year I've a few people blatantly shoplifting, not just the odd item, filling bags and walking out the shop, staff buzzing around not knowing what to do. Took the kids to the local play park last week, the park was covered in vile graffiti, litter all over the place. Out in the car and noticing loads of impatient drivers, either driving up my arse or cutting me up at every opportunity. Go out for a walk and youngen's are flying about on motorbikes, tearing the place up, just looking for bother' - Feels like something is going to blow eventually. I did loose someone close to me in December, so I've been a bit down since, maybe just noticing the worst in people

I might be little bit paranoid or anxious, but things just feel a bit edgy, like everywhere I go. Just this year I've a few people blatantly shoplifting, not just the odd item, filling bags and walking out the shop, staff buzzing around not knowing what to do. Took the kids to the local play park last week, the park was covered in vile graffiti, litter all over the place. Out in the car and noticing loads of impatient drivers, either driving up my arse or cutting me up at every opportunity. Go out for a walk and youngen's are flying about on motorbikes, tearing the place up, just looking for bother' - Feels like something is going to blow eventually. I did loose someone close to me in December, so I've been a bit down since, maybe just noticing the worst in people

The police have all but given given up on apprehending shoplifters. Scrotes know they won't get arrested. The shop staff are the ones on the front line carrying the risk while coppers sit in offices reviewing CCTV. Less than a grand involved? They won't even look at it unless someone is attacked.

Or you might be surprised by how few of these examples there are. There are undoubtedly people who play the system but reality is they are a vvery very small minority.
They are most probably in the minority but I personally think you're being generous when you say a 'very, very small minority'.

It's 35 years since I worked for the DWP (DHSS back then), but even that far back the amount of 'overpayments' we used to write-off on a daily basis was huge - mainly because it wasn't financially viable to pursue or prosecute for repayment. And that was just in the department I worked for. Other departments wrote-off much larger sums than we ever did - I'm talking hundreds of thousands, probably millions every week. It was a hell of a lot of money back in the late-1980s - god knows what tat would equate to now.

They are most probably in the minority but I personally think you're being generous when you say a 'very, very small minority'.

It's 35 years since I worked for the DWP (DHSS back then), but even that far back the amount of 'overpayments' we used to write-off on a daily basis was huge - mainly because it wasn't financially viable to pursue or prosecute for repayment. And that was just in the department I worked for. Other departments wrote-off much larger sums than we ever did - I'm talking hundreds of thousands, probably millions every week. It was a hell of a lot of money back in the late-1980s - god knows what tat would equate to now.
The original claim was it all happened under labour. The tories were in charge then.

I appreciate you may have not been claiming that, rather just a general observation.

The original claim was it all happened under labour. The tories were in charge then.

I appreciate you may have not been claiming that, rather just a general observation.
It was happening for years before I ever started working there, and has been happening ever since.

None of the governments in power before or after the period I worked there have been able to come up with a way to stop it - it's just easier and more cost-effective to write-off the (publics) money.

Agreed. Although I also believe there needs to be more bins around and about.
i think there's enough in built up areas tbh.
what is particularly annoying is the state of some of the layby's on the roads, they're disgusting.
i drive a wagon and wouldn't dream of just hoying stuff out the window for others to have to pick up. i'm going on a rant here but if the councils want to stop roadside rubbish they should replace all the bins they've took away. not so long ago every layby had a bin there to dispose of your rubbish. from penrith to darlington there's only one layby with a bin and that's at penrith. when they redid the ones round darlington because of the new amazon depot there was no bins for about a year. i'm not excusing the dirty bastards that litter but at least give them something to aim at. i've just come back from aberdeen and the vast majority have bins until you cross the border into england.
rant over and btw, i don't tend to frequent laybys :D

Back