Eyes Wide Shut By Kubrick

One of my all time favourite films and one of Cruises best. I think apart from the last samurai there isn't a Cruise film I haven't enjoyed.
That’s a negative in my opinion. Cruise is an odd bloke. His films have been shocking really and I reckon Kubrick used him for what he was. You only have to look at the fact that he was utterly out of his depth with Kubrick. I think he purposely chose him because he was out of his depth.
Aye, well, except the summat bit. :lol:
Yeah that’s the one I read. Have you read the stuff about the way he broke Shelley during the shining. He was a f***ing nightmare like.

Last edited:

That’s a negative in my opinion. Cruise is an odd bloke. His films have been shocking really and I reckon Kubrick used him for what he was. You only have to look at the fact that he was utterly out of his depth with Kubrick. I think he purposely chose him because he was out of his depth.

Yeah that’s the one I read. Have you read the stuff about the way he broke Shelley during the shining. He was a f***ing nightmare like.
Aye, I have read about his methods. He started as a photographer didn't he? I think you can see that in the construction of his shots and scenes, he had an exceptional eye, a painter's eye, almost to the level of the great masters. As for his methods, I reckon he was at least on the spectrum or possibly a full on mentalist as his ability to communicate and deal with other people on a human level was practically non-existent. You've also got to bear in mind that he was doing most of his work when the entertainment industry had, shall we say... a few issues.
:lol:

What are people’s thoughts on it?

Can remember being really excited for it to come out as next to nowt was known about it. I went to see it on a Sunday night with a hangover which made it quite a bit more sinister. Been watching Kubricks films again recently and for some reason I’ve enjoyed this most of them all on another watch.

Think Tom Cruise is perfect for it and I reckon Stanley picked him because he was like a fish out of water much like Dr Bill. Don’t think he’s had a go at anything since which has been anything like as credible.

Have read some interesting articles in the years it came out about some of the symbolic stuff in the film.

Anyway I think like anything Stanley Kubrick did it was excellent.
Apparently it was too close to the bone. That's why they topped him off.

Aye, I have read about his methods. He started as a photographer didn't he? I think you can see that in the construction of his shots and scenes, he had an exceptional eye, a painter's eye, almost to the level of the great masters. As for his methods, I reckon he was at least on the spectrum or possibly a full on mentalist as his ability to communicate and deal with other people on a human level was practically non-existent. You've also got to bear in mind that he was doing most of his work when the entertainment industry had, shall we say... a few issues.
:lol:
I was reading the whole thing was filmed over here. He even had people measure streets in New York and map where the newspaper boxes were so it looked exactly the same. He used to make sure he decided on what colour the walls would be in the rooms. I think you could be right about him.
Apparently it was too close to the bone. That's why they topped him off.
So I’ve read but without any evidence I don’t bother giving stuff like that any attention really.

Was disappointing not getting to see Nicole Kidman in the nip. The film is shite.

Should've had Rafterman in this sukka.

The Ligeti piano is a bust and Kidman can't act, obviously; when she's trying to laugh - while smoking, tho :)

I don't mind Pollack.

It's cheese mostly, but what could stack up against Redmond Barry, Shining US, 2001.

- Lord Bullingdon, Vitali found his calling anyway; someone with a mask on in this + Kubrick's gofer. "Film Maker" gives the full inside.

Back