Extra long ad bars

L

Lexingtongue

Making using the forum a nuisance - any swipe that's not perfectly straight sends the screen whizzing diagonally to blackness. It seems browser style ad length is being using for mobile layouts? You aware of this @Roger?

The ads generate income.

Of course they do, that is why they are there. But they shouldn't hinder the viewing experience particularly, we aren't the Sunderland Echo, and its not about maximising revenue at all costs.
Making using the forum a nuisance - any swipe that's not perfectly straight sends the screen whizzing diagonally to blackness. It seems browser style ad length is being using for mobile layouts? You aware of this @Roger?

That shouldn't be happening but I did make a tweak about a month ago as iPads and some other tablets weren't getting any ads at all and with the forums running at a significant loss I needed to do something!

Can you go and visit What is my viewport and let me know the numbers it gives you. Also if you are prepared to reveal a bit more about what type of device/OS you are using (via PM if necessary) that would help me a lot.

Last edited:
Of course they do, that is why they are there. But they shouldn't hinder the viewing experience particularly, we aren't the Sunderland Echo, and its not about maximising revenue at all costs.

That shouldn't be happening but I did make a tweak about a month ago as iPads and some other tablets weren't getting any ads at all and with the forums running at a significant loss I needed to do something!

Can you go and visit What is my viewport and let me know the numbers it gives you. Also if you are prepared to reveal a bit more about what type of device/OS you are using (via PM if necessary) that would help me a lot.
375x551. I'm using an iPhone 8. iOS 13.4.1.

Last edited by a moderator:
375x551. I'm using an iPhone 8. iOS 13.4.1.

It works fine when I set my screen size the same - I see a 320px wide ad at the top and a 300px wide ad at the bottom, which are the correct mobile sizes and fit inside the forum frame 🤔

Any viewport less than 760px wide should be getting the mobile ads.

Which browser are you using - Safari?

It works fine when I set my screen size the same - I see a 320px wide ad at the top and a 300px wide ad at the bottom, which are the correct mobile sizes and fit inside the forum frame 🤔

Chrome. It's not every advert, buy I'd say over half are maybe double the size suitable for my phone. I'll try and grab a screenshot next time it happens.

I've made some code changes that Amazon recommended - can you let me know whether or not you are still seeing this please.

So still happening even if improved :(

Audible would obviously be from Amazon , so same source I guess.
It's been great until today. Now it's much worse, like 9 out of 10 adverts are outsized.

Actually, @Roger it happens quite frequently. Quite often the ad doesn't resize the page but if I scroll along I can see that it's a long banner.

I've just had two then.

Thanks, I wish I could get them - it would make it easier to fix!

It's obviously when Amazon find some reason to target you as an individual user that gets them to send you a bunch of ads. (probably when you have been looking at something on the Amazon site)

Something is clearly wrong with the code we are using to serve those ads, but they are normally only a tiny percentage of the ads on the site, and only affect one of the ad slots and then only on mobile devices. Unfortunately those ads pay relatively well and right now in the middle of this crisis they make the difference between being able to pay for the server hosting or not, so I can't really remove them. Its also not possible to disable them just for mobile devices.

I am still trying to solve it - but its a case of making a code change, then seeing if people continue to report things (and also giving an allowance for code cached in peoples browsers or ISP proxy servers which means people may continue to see things for a while after it has actually been fixed!)

Thanks, I wish I could get them - it would make it easier to fix!

It's obviously when Amazon find some reason to target you as an individual user that gets them to send you a bunch of ads. (probably when you have been looking at something on the Amazon site)

Something is clearly wrong with the code we are using to serve those ads, but they are normally only a tiny percentage of the ads on the site, and only affect one of the ad slots and then only on mobile devices. Unfortunately those ads pay relatively well and right now in the middle of this crisis they make the difference between being able to pay for the server hosting or not, so I can't really remove them. Its also not possible to disable them just for mobile devices.

I am still trying to solve it - but its a case of making a code change, then seeing if people continue to report things (and also giving an allowance for code cached in peoples browsers or ISP proxy servers which means people may continue to see things for a while after it has actually been fixed!)

It's also the ads at the bottom of the page as well and isn't just Amazon. I had one not long ago for Dell. Probably 7 yes out of 10 it doesn't resize the page.

Just thought I'd let you know to help troubleshoot it. It doesn't affect me as I either don't know it's happening unless I look or it's easy to resize the page as it never happens on a computer.

It's also the ads at the bottom of the page as well and isn't just Amazon. I had one not long ago for Dell. Probably 7 yes out of 10 it doesn't resize the page.

Just thought I'd let you know to help troubleshoot it. It doesn't affect me as I either don't know it's happening unless I look or it's easy to resize the page as it never happens on a computer.

Thanks.

The ads aren't necessarily about Amazon (although the majority appear to be), but they are delivered from Amazons advertising services as opposed to Google where most of them come from.

Some more changes have been made today, so it will be of interest if these continue tomorrow or not.

Thanks.

The ads aren't necessarily about Amazon (although the majority appear to be), but they are delivered from Amazons advertising services as opposed to Google where most of them come from.

Some more changes have been made today, so it will be of interest if these continue tomorrow or not.
Haven't had any for a few days. Hopefully the fixes will stick this time. 👍🏻

There is actually different code running on Parsnip/politics and the rest of the forums - so if you do see the problem again please report which forum you saw it in

Back