Extinction Rebellion

Apparently they are going to shut down london for two weeks starting tonight

There can't be many of them with jobs if they can do this.

Apparently they are going to shut down london for two weeks starting tonight

There can't be many of them with jobs if they can do this.
I notice that there are XR activists from all over the UK joining in..... I wonder how they got to London.... surely it must have been without leaving any carbon footprint? I'm all for saving the planet but this bunch seem rather hypocritical.

I notice that there are XR activists from all over the UK joining in..... I wonder how they got to London.... surely it must have been without leaving any carbon footprint? I'm all for saving the planet but this bunch seem rather hypocritical.

Do people honestly put stock in this awfully poor argument?

Its almost as if you haven't even tried to have a slightly wider think around the issue.

Aye, the very same people, who use airlines, to transport them, to their foreign holidays, in the sun.
Hypocritical wankers.

Why is it a poor argument?

Because individual contributions to our Carbon emissions are insignificant in comparison to what these activists believe they can achieve by forcing through policy change, which is ultimately what's needed.

Whether you believe they will achieve their goals or not is irrelevant to the argument (I happen to believe they won't). The point is simply that it's not hypocritical if they're convinced its a small price worth paying.

Because individual contributions to our Carbon emissions are insignificant in comparison to what these activists believe they can achieve by forcing through policy change, which is ultimately what's needed.

Whether you believe they will achieve their goals or not is irrelevant to the argument (I happen to believe they won't). The point is simply that it's not hypocritical if they're convinced its a small price worth paying.
I disagree. The rise in emissions is partially driven by consumerism and our attitudes to what we use. If people didn't demand the shit we use it wouldn't get produced. Sometimes we need to take responsibility for our own lives and stop blaming the government.
I think the awareness is there mate. We're in the paris climate agreement.... we're ahead of schedule to hit our targets, I don't know what more they want us to do.
Everyone is aware of what the issues are but dont really understand the costs and benefits of alternative solutions. I don't think the demonstrations help with this though.

Last edited:

Back