Extinction Rebellion

They don’t actually know what they want that can be realistically achieved. Why have some substance about your organisation when you can just be a right pain in the arse to the extent that you begin to lose public support.
I saw their 3 goals and posted them earlier with comments

"Looking at their demands,

Number 1 - Tell the truth, we have this already, our government don't deny climate change, our government don't deny it's man mande, our government is signed up to the Paris protocol which aims for net zero carbon emissions by 2050

Number 2 - Act Now, Net Zero emissions by 2025. This is impossible, however net zero emissions by 2030 is a possibility and something they should lobby for. Their activists should put pressure on MP's to pass the Green New Deal already proposed by parliament which achieves this.

Number 3 - Beyond Politics, Government must create and be led by a citizens assembley on this, never gonna happen, don't know why you'd bother trying.

The bill is what they should put their focus on. "

But this nonsense doesn't really acheive anything.

I don't drive, no. Our cities are changing at a glacial pace, I wish they were being pedestrianised, it would make my job much more interesting!

It's a half arsed commitment, and it's far too slow, hence these protests. This will force further change imo, the younger generations will not have it.
You don't drive, but you do come across as well travelled from what I've read on here. Do you use planes or only travel by train to your destinations?

I saw their 3 goals and posted them earlier with comments

"Looking at their demands,

Number 1 - Tell the truth, we have this already, our government don't deny climate change, our government don't deny it's man mande, our government is signed up to the Paris protocol which aims for net zero carbon emissions by 2050

Number 2 - Act Now, Net Zero emissions by 2025. This is impossible, however net zero emissions by 2030 is a possibility and something they should lobby for. Their activists should put pressure on MP's to pass the Green New Deal already proposed by parliament which achieves this.

Number 3 - Beyond Politics, Government must create and be led by a citizens assembley on this, never gonna happen, don't know why you'd bother trying.

The bill is what they should put their focus on. "

But this nonsense doesn't really acheive anything.

I have, unfortunately, spent a lot of time with these people over the last year. When you speak to the majority of them they have no idea what they are doing, quite a few will just come out with the reply climate change when you ask what they want. You ask what they want to change about it and they angrily reply climate change. Don’t dare say that they don’t seem to have any ideas about how to achieve this lest you be shouted at for being in on it or having been brainwashed by the oil companies.
They are on the whole a complete waste of time, I saw loads who I recognise from XR at the anti government/boris protests a few weeks back as well as at other demos. They don’t care about the environment as much as they make out, it’s just an excuse to not grow up, avoid working and paying taxes and to be seen as rebelling against the system.

Still, I’ll make a shit load of overtime out of it so it’s not all bad.
You don't drive, but you do come across as well travelled from what I've read on here. Do you use planes or only travel by train to your destinations?

Not diesel trains surely? Or those trains that run on electricity?

Last edited:
I have, unfortunately, spent a lot of time with these people over the last year. When you speak to the majority of them they have no idea what they are doing, quite a few will just come out with the reply climate change when you ask what they want. You ask what they want to change about it and they angrily reply climate change. Don’t dare say that they don’t seem to have any ideas about how to achieve this lest you be shouted at for being in on it or having been brainwashed by the oil companies.
They are on the whole a complete waste of time, I saw loads who I recognise from XR at the anti government/boris protests a few weeks back as well as at other demos. They don’t care about the environment as much as they make out, it’s just an excuse to not grow up, avoid working and paying taxes and to be seen as rebelling against the system.

Aye true, I know it's the brexit side that is usually being touted as idiots (and in some cases rightly so)

But there are plenty of videos out there asking remainers what they think and my god some of the answers are ridiculous/ non-existant.

I don't drive, no. Our cities are changing at a glacial pace, I wish they were being pedestrianised, it would make my job much more interesting!

It's a half arsed commitment, and it's far too slow, hence these protests. This will force further change imo, the younger generations will not have it.
The same younger generations who are part of the worst buy it, use it, throw it, generation to have ever lived? The same generation who won’t walk to school in the rain? The same generation who NEED to have the latest electrical devices even though their old ones are fine?

Laughable. Biggest thing to come out of this all is that 90% of the population have got zero sense of irony.

One of the protestors literally quoted as saying they wanted to protest against nuclear weapons but there’s none of that going around so they saw this and HAD to get involved. It’s pathetic.

Last edited:
The same younger generations who are part of the worst buy it, use it, throw it, generation to have ever lived? The same generation who won’t walk to school in the rain? The same generation who NEED to have the latest electrical devices even though their old ones are fine?

I blame the parents. No the wonder kids have issues with parents having raised them to be such wasteful spoilt polluters.

But what do you want us to do differently?

We already back the carbon neutral by 2050, we are ahead of schedule on that.

I mean how do you want things to be done differently? We need money and a functioning economy to pay for the change to renewables and carbon reduced/neutral power output.

We invest heavily in technological solutions, at the moment we are in the top 3-7 countries investing in Thorium reactors, Carbon Capture power plants and Fusion Reactors.

We're on course to hit our Energy from waste and biomass fuel targets, so year on year we are reducing our output to land fill sites and eventually will stop altogether.

They are a part of the biggest climate agreement in history and are exceeding the rate at which the targets must be acheived.

We had the longest run without turning on a coal power plant this year in history.

I mean what more do you want from the government right now?
The one thing I would like to see from a government is an integrated public transport plan. All large towns and cities should have tram/metro links to all areas. I know it is expensive but will need to be done eventually.

Take the metro as an example. Plans should be made now to extend it from South Hylton to Washington. Millfield to barnes through the back of Farringdon, Doxy international to Houghton and then Durham. Seaham, Ryhope and on to S Shields. Commutes to work need to be practical and economical.

Things don't all have to be done at once but a plan has to be made and started.

The one thing I would like to see from a government is an integrated public transport plan. All large towns and cities should have tram/metro links to all areas. I know it is expensive but will need to be done eventually.

Take the metro as an example. Plans should be made now to extend it from South Hylton to Washington. Millfield to barnes through the back of Farringdon, Doxy international to Houghton and then Durham. Seaham, Ryhope and on to S Shields. Commutes to work need to be practical and economical.

Things don't all have to be done at once but a plan has to be made and started.
Investing in infrastructure usually makes sense and I can't speak for the metro but Network Rail have plans across the entire country, I know cos we sometimes help them go to panel each year but with a limited budget on the whole they are often rejected because like everything the cost benefit needs to be justified.

However I don't see extinction rebellion asking for anything like that.

Trains where possible. I'm not an angel and wouldn't shy away from that, I travel too much. I would fully support a tax for frequent flyers and I'm looking to cut down.

I do live a very sustainable life away from that though. Cycle every trip I make, recycle everything possible, very rarely buy new clothes and mostly get second hand stuff, don't eat any meat, live in a city, work on sustainable schemes as my job etc. I've never claimed to be perfect.

I'm not some sort of activist or hippy, just a normal lad. I just find it utterly mental how wasteful people are and how blind they are to it all. It requires minimal effort to cut your impact back.

The elephant in the room imo is our blindness to the car and how most people can't even imagine a future where they don't use it for every trip. Transport is our largest source of co2 emissions and localised air pollution is awful. If the government was committed to cleaning our country they'd scrap all spending on highway schemes and direct all of that funding into public transport and supplementary cycle networks. The wider benefits would be massive as well.

Unfortunately short term vote winning is the order of the day, and it would require some cross party agreement to push through regardless of the colour tie of the PM. That would be a nice goal for ER.

I think a lot of the issues with public transport is that the main decision makers think we all have systems like in London, so why do we need improvements?

Investing in infrastructure usually makes sense and I can't speak for the metro but Network Rail have plans across the entire country, I know cos we sometimes help them go to panel each year but with a limited budget on the whole they are often rejected because like everything the cost benefit needs to be justified.

However I don't see extinction rebellion asking for anything like that.
They won't because they're a bunch of smelly hippies with no plan :lol:.

We all know there isn't an unlimited pot of money but we should at least have a detailed plan of what we need to aim for at local, regional and national levels.

Maybe if we consumers change our ways and reduce our consumption, then dirty manufacturers and service providers worldwide will change theirs.
Yeah thanks for the lecture
They don’t actually know what they want that can be realistically achieved. Why have some substance about your organisation when you can just be a right pain in the arse to the extent that you begin to lose public support.
But just think of the overtime for you :)

Last edited:

100% this and are being a pain in the arse for people who are just trying to earn a living.

Should go after big business and agri business and EU for destroying the world.
Good point. It takes me 90 minutes door to door on a morning by public transport or 35 minutes driving. No brainer to me.

Again 100%. No amount of hypothetical scare stories of stuff in the future would get you to change. a public transport commute of 45 minutes probably would.
Trains where possible. I'm not an angel and wouldn't shy away from that, I travel too much. I would fully support a tax for frequent flyers and I'm looking to cut down.

I do live a very sustainable life away from that though. Cycle every trip I make, recycle everything possible, very rarely buy new clothes and mostly get second hand stuff, don't eat any meat, live in a city, work on sustainable schemes as my job etc. I've never claimed to be perfect.

I'm not some sort of activist or hippy, just a normal lad. I just find it utterly mental how wasteful people are and how blind they are to it all. It requires minimal effort to cut your impact back.

The elephant in the room imo is our blindness to the car and how most people can't even imagine a future where they don't use it for every trip. Transport is our largest source of co2 emissions and localised air pollution is awful. If the government was committed to cleaning our country they'd scrap all spending on highway schemes and direct all of that funding into public transport and supplementary cycle networks. The wider benefits would be massive as well.

Unfortunately short term vote winning is the order of the day, and it would require some cross party agreement to push through regardless of the colour tie of the PM. That would be a nice goal for ER.

The word convenience has fucked the world. It's very seductive but also very destructive. I'm surprised people even get off their arses to have a shit nowadays.

That's probably the new money spinner. Too busy to shit? Hugo Boss nappies are the solution. Show your friends you are too busy and rich to take time shitting.

Last edited:

At least you're doing your bit marra. No one's perfect and I wouldn't expect any of the ER demonstrators to be either. I just suspect that many don't have a good understanding and won't be prepared to pay the price for what they want.

Disrupting the life of everyday people isn't the way to go either. They should focus on government and big business if anything.
100% this and are being a pain in the arse for people who are just trying to earn a living.

Again 100%. No amount of hypothetical scare stories of stuff in the future would get you to change. a public transport commute of 45 minutes probably would.

The word convenience has fucked the world. It's very seductive but also very destructive. I'm surprised people even get off their arses to have a shit nowadays.

That's probably the new money spinner. Too busy to shit? Hugo Boss nappies are the solution. Show your friends you are too busy and rich to take time shitting.
I know a lot of Indians get off their arses to shit if this helps :lol:

I think I've just repeated what you've just said. Done my bit for reuse anyway ;)

Last edited:

Agree about the tyranny of the car but I can also see why expecting any change as things stand it fairly unrealistic.

Out of interest, you've included 'live in a city' amongst your sustainable lifestyle actions. I'm genuinely interested why this would be included?

Agree about the tyranny of the car but I can also see why expecting any change as things stand it fairly unrealistic.

Out of interest, you've included 'live in a city' amongst your sustainable lifestyle actions. I'm genuinely interested why this would be included?

My assumption would be less reliance on a car/cars as cycling and walking are practical and there's good public transport links.

Back