External cd / dvd drive

Discussion in 'SMB' started by box2box, Apr 17, 2019.

1. box2box

box2box Striker

new laptop doesn’t have an internal cd dvd drive, anyone recommend any external ones ? Cheers

2. anth

anth Winger

Do people still use CD/DVDs? There is a reason most laptops don’t come with a drive for them anymore.

3. I've got a Samsung one.

Don't get a Samsung one.

4. sima-hebburn

sima-hebburn Winger

bought a new pc few month ago (i9-9000k+rtx 2700)

goes to put windows cd in , duhhhhhhhhhhh :lol: got that tool that puts windows install on usb stick

bought a liteon from ghi(£30) to burn audio cd's

5. chriswallace85

chriswallace85 Striker

6. box2box

box2box Striker

CDs mate

7. anth

anth Winger

Again why? You've got plenty of streaming options that are good quality, but even if they aren't good enough for you, you can use far greater quality audio like FLAC on a usb memory stick which most media players in the last few years support.

I can honestly say I have no owned a DVD player since I sold my xbox 360 about 6 years ago, and I haven't had audio CDs for probably closer to 10 years when aux inputs became common place.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  8. PTR

PTR Striker

I'm with you on that, but there's always that once where you need one.

For example, I need one now to burn a Sat Nav update disc for my car. Needs to be a certain brand burner and disc to work anarl, ffs.

9. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

I'm just waiting for someone asking if they can get a vinyl drive to plug into their laptop

10. houst69

houst69 Striker

One in argos

11. Slippery Jim

Slippery Jim Striker

12. Keawyeds

Keawyeds Striker

13. box2box

box2box Striker

It’s to transfer music from a cd so I can play via iTunes/ phone etc. Some of the cds are not available on streaming services

14. anth

anth Winger

Ah fair enough, I don’t have that wide a range of a taste in music :oops:

box2box likes this.