Exposed - The Churches Darkest Secrets

Dun Scathach

Midfield
Anyone watching this about Bishop Peter Ball?

I remember the trial and remember the horrors of the abuse he perpetrated on young boys, 18 kids in total, the youngest of whom was 13, but I never knew about the letters and sustained support he received from members of the establishment, not least the Archbishop of Canterbury and Prince Charles. No consideration for his victims, only him.

Unbelievable to think that he only served 2 years and within a year of his release, was back in schools preaching.

There were (hopefully now “were” and not “are”) certain jobs that attracted certain types of people because it allowed them hushed up access to children. This is one of them and it was always going to happen. Football coaches, teachers who travelled away with kids, swimming pool attendants, scout leaders etc. Obviously not all of them, but it is the type of job that allowed access to children so attracted particular applicants.

Thank goodness the regulations, following documentaries like these and others, have been tightened up hugely. If there is ever a silver lining this is it.

There were (hopefully now “were” and not “are”) certain jobs that attracted certain types of people because it allowed them hushed up access to children. This is one of them and it was always going to happen. Football coaches, teachers who travelled away with kids, swimming pool attendants, scout leaders etc. Obviously not all of them, but it is the type of job that allowed access to children so attracted particular applicants.

Thank goodness the regulations, following documentaries like these and others, have been tightened up hugely. If there is ever a silver lining this is it.

Absolutely. I had no idea though the extent to which establishment figures publicly came to his defence. He raped a 15 year old boy in a field.

”At Ball's trial in 2015 it was stated that a member of the royal family, a lord chief justice, JPs, cabinet ministers and public school headmasters—"many dozens" of people—had campaigned to support him in 1993. There were a further 2,000 letters of support.”

“I can’t bear it that the frightful, terrifying man is on the loose again and doing his worst...I’ll see off this horrid man if he tries anything again.”

That's our next monarch writing to Peter Ball - who already had a conviction for gross indecency - about one of the victims he abused.

Can't remember if that was before or after Charles was sorting out a house in the Duchy for Ball and his brother to live in.

“I can’t bear it that the frightful, terrifying man is on the loose again and doing his worst...I’ll see off this horrid man if he tries anything again.”

That's our next monarch writing to Peter Ball - who already had a conviction for gross indecency - about one of the victims he abused.

Can't remember if that was before or after Charles was sorting out a house in the Duchy for Ball and his brother to live in.

That documentary last night had to be seen to be believed the outcome and the way senior public figures tried to excuse his behaviour. :eek:

No different to Yewtree other than the desire to cover up.

Thank goodness people started to dare to challenge the universally-accepted notion that the church was beyond question.
Otherwise they'd still be untouchable.

A genuine change in culture ocurring in a single generation.

Thank goodness people started to dare to challenge the universally-accepted notion that the church was beyond question.
Otherwise they'd still be untouchable.

A genuine change in culture ocurring in a single generation.
I think the culture has changed in regard to it becoming acceptable anywhere, I think the church is just one of the institutions which have been highlighted in where abusers can operate freely. Sure, they have been the worst of the examples but I think that through education, that abusers will seek out positions of power over children is now an open secret across the board especially amongst the professionals in those jobs. Basically there is more information now on the signs of possible abuse. People are watching these days.

It's been far too long in the coming but eventually we're seeing institutions realising the best way to protect yourself from abuse allegations is to be your own strictest enforcement officer.

The report on child abuse out today is awful. The stats just keep on telling us that abuses in the past were not taken seriously at all. And that was the problem. We didn't take them seriously as a society. In fact in many cases it was nudge nudge, wink wink. As you say, thankfully a huge change in attitudes within a generation.

The Catholic Church is rotton to the core.

After the abuse scandal it should have been raked over the coals with international governments seizing assets and withholding rights to travel en-masse.

The authorities like to pay lip service to how much they care about children but they just do not do nearly enough imo.
The report on child abuse out today is awful. .
Another coincidence..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Catholic Church is rotton to the core.

After the abuse scandal it should have been raked over the coals with international governments seizing assets and withholding rights to travel en-masse.

The authorities like to pay lip service to how much they care about children but they just do not do nearly enough imo.

Another coincidence..... :rolleyes:

absolutely agree with all of that but just to point out that Ball was C of E rather than Catholic, and they too have an appalling record.

Absolutely. I had no idea though the extent to which establishment figures publicly came to his defence. He raped a 15 year old boy in a field.

”At Ball's trial in 2015 it was stated that a member of the royal family, a lord chief justice, JPs, cabinet ministers and public school headmasters—"many dozens" of people—had campaigned to support him in 1993. There were a further 2,000 letters of support.”
Every single one of them should be named and shamed

That documentary last night had to be seen to be believed the outcome and the way senior public figures tried to excuse his behaviour. :eek:

No different to Yewtree other than the desire to cover up.
Or the football club most of us follow in their support for someone they too knew the guilt of.
I’m not saying that’s AJs case is as bad as the op but any person or body that doesn’t distance themselves from this level of crime needs to also be judged.

Or the football club most of us follow in their support for someone they too knew the guilt of.
I’m not saying that’s AJs case is as bad as the op but any person or body that doesn’t distance themselves from this level of crime needs to also be judged.
Yep. It was the same thing in principal. Everyone knew the charges and everyone was happy for him to continue his role instead of doing the right thing. The institution looks after the institution.

My mistake I didn't realise. I'm not surprised in the slightest either.

Interesting though that the immediate assumption was that it'd be the catholic church. Have to say that on seeing the listing on the TV last night that was mine too for a split second. As others have said, it's been a feature of any institution where people can gain access to children.

For me still it's the public nature of the establishment figures' response. Without any shame whatsoever.

Interesting though that the immediate assumption was that it'd be the catholic church. Have to say that on seeing the listing on the TV last night that was mine too for a split second. As others have said, it's been a feature of any institution where people can gain access to children.

For me still it's the public nature of the establishment figures' response. Without any shame whatsoever.
Same goes for the authorities that are supposed to be protecting them. It's purely disgusting.

I once did a refurbishment on the rooms at ampleforth abbey it amazed me that not one of the bedrooms had a lock on garuntee the story’s about them dirty old monks are true

Back