Explained - Why do Sunderland fans hate Coventry City and Jimmy Hill?

We've played them f***ing loads of times over the years since then and no one give a shit. Throw in social media these days and it's now a "rivalry".

Regardless of Jimmy Hill we would have probably stayed up that year had the cup final two days after the Highfield Road debacle not been contested by Man Utd and Liverpool. After the final Saturday of the league season and our fightback at Norwich it seemed more than likely that safety would be guaranteed before the Thursday night at Everton. Man Utd and Liverpool put out weakened teams and lost to West Ham and Bristol City on the Monday.

Interesting. And never seen that theory advanced. Had a look at teams though & not weakened-Man Utd played 10 of the 11 Wembley starting line up at West Ham while Liverpool played 9 of starting Wembley 11 at Bristol . So just another myth that has built up about Goodison game.

Interesting. And never seen that theory advanced. Had a look at teams though & not weakened-Man Utd played 10 of the 11 Wembley starting line up at West Ham while Liverpool played 9 of starting Wembley 11 at Bristol . So just another myth that has built up about Goodison game.
Thanks for response. I was going off memory. However the cup final was huge and in the week of the final those finalists would have had eased off the gas. Having said all that we only needed a point at Goodison - and lost.

The illiterate cock-end reporter at the Coventry Telegraph doesn't know the difference between hatred and rivalry. There are football teams I hate, PSG for example, that we have never played and maybe never will, but they are not rivals. Real rivals have, under the surface animosity, some level of respect although most would not admit it.

Remember being at Fulham away (won 1-3 iirc) and the gantry is on one side of the ground but you need to go past the away fans to get into the ground proper.

Chris Kamara came past closely followed by Jimmy Hill - the bloke received the most abuse I’ve ever heard and mostly from the older lads! I wasn’t even sure who it was until I could see his chin digging up the pitch.

Have a like for one of the funniest lines I've seen in a long time

Happiest day of my life , the day they were finally relegated from the top flight. They hung around like a bad smell for far to many years. Shithouse fans, shithouse club.

Opened a bottle of champagne each time they have been relegated.

The sky blue filth should have been kicked out the league after the EFL not once but twice cancelled their own EGM to expel them last season. They were/ are supposed to play within 6 miles of their own city.

SISU in.

You would have done the same. As would every other club in the same circumstances. Get over it.

Why the fuck are you on here posting about Coventry and Sunderland man?

Proper freak, wouldn't dream of signing up to a mag forum (clearly no decent one's with the amount of you saddos who spend all their time on here) let alone posting on one.

You would have done the same. As would every other club in the same circumstances. Get over it.
We have been involved in as many last day relegation battles as anyone and never once delayed our kick off. Coventry are the only team I am aware off to have done that and done it twice so no your point is spectacularly wrong

We have been involved in as many last day relegation battles as anyone and never once delayed our kick off. Coventry are the only team I am aware off to have done that and done it twice so no your point is spectacularly wrong
Coventry were not responsible for the delay in the second game, although I don’t suppose that suits your agenda.

Almost certain some poor fucker died, that's why the game was delayed.

It would make fantastic Netflix if we end up playing heads and volleys in the centre circle with Rotherham, playing out a 0-0 draw that sees us both promoted automatically while Coventry batter Wimbledon 8-0 and can only manage a third place finish
As unlikely as that is to happen, just the thought of it makes me happy.
Aye we were at Wimbledon on time

But they couldn't make it think spurs & had less to travel than us
That's exactly right - I was at Wimbledon (at Selhurst Park) that day too, got in the ground after ten minutes had been played, whilst f**king Coventry's match at Tottenham was delayed 15 minutes - long, sad journey back, but with this and the Bristol City stitch up years earlier I'm afraid I'm one of the ones who despise Coventry.
What are you on about? You see, I have some sympathy when you call out some of the behaviour from our fans last season, but the 1997 thing is utterly batshit.

Spurs delayed kick off because of a fatal accident on the M1 which didn't affect you as much as you had further to travel and has mostly passed through the incident, whereas our official travel and many Spurs fans heading South hadn't. It is completely academic anyway. We had to win the game to have any chance of staying up. Whether we had kicked off 15 minutes early, 15 minutes late or a week late, it made no difference, there was no advantage to be had. To try and create a conspiracy around that game is desperate.
Bulls**t - I was held up on the M1 by the backlog of traffic, as were numerous Sunderland fans.

Last edited:

Back