Explained - Why do Sunderland fans hate Coventry City and Jimmy Hill?

I ain't a Portsmouth fan lad.

I am, I just spend my time reading all the salty comments on here, they make my day go by faster while I read them and watch you all crying on netflix. On that note remember your new series is out soon you be able to see us put 5 past you 😘

That game didn't make the final cut, unlucky fella.

Your username does the same

A username that pokes fun at Newcastle's ability to hilariously throw away a 12 point lead?

Or a manufactured hatred that is sending some idiots on both sides into a frenzy, and some poor innocent supporter could get hurt?

Regardless of Jimmy Hill we would have probably stayed up that year had the cup final two days after the Highfield Road debacle not been contested by Man Utd and Liverpool. After the final Saturday of the league season and our fightback at Norwich it seemed more than likely that safety would be guaranteed before the Thursday night at Everton. Man Utd and Liverpool put out weakened teams and lost to West Ham and Bristol City on the Monday.

May 2018
Final game of the season..

Coventry v Morecambe
Barnet v Macclesfield

Coventry need a point for the play offs.
Morecambe need a point for survival unless Barnet won by 7 goals.

Barnet won 3-0
Coventry and Morecambe drew 0-0

This. It played the incident down a bit but not too much (might be wrong but was Hill not on the committee who investigated it and decided there was no wrongdoing? If true, that didn't get a mention).

Either way, and I know a lot of our fans don't agree, I don't hate Coventry for it. It was before my time supporting us and, ultimately, it was Jimmy Hill who did it, not Coventry. Don't get me wrong, for people who followed us at the time I can quite understand why they'd hold a grudge, I'm not saying anyone should just move on or whatever, but for me it was an action by a bloke (who has since died) so I'm not going to have a hatred for a club over it.

That being said, I was in the north stand last season and their fans were arseholes that day. Almost as bad is the total whitewash from their fans who, almost to a man, seem to suggest that we're all making it up. There was a lot of stuff chucked down, more than I've seen from any other club, the mags included and it was a disgrace. Had the Coventry fans criticised the mindless minority I'd have no real issue but instead a lot went on like dicks. A lot also seemed to be the same at the away game that season. So I can't say I've got a high opinion of them, and I hope we stuff them. Wouldn't class it as a rivalry though
He wasn’t on the committee He had to stand down and ended up “being warned of his future conduct” iirc. Problem was a committee being asked to investigate one of its own members should nivver have happened. A new committee should’ve been formed.
Nowadays no football people are even involved in this stuff. It’s all external solicitors, barristers and retired judges earning a bit of beer money while getting to look ITK to their golf club marras.

I was at Goodson on that night in 77. What made it so annoying was that if we had stayed up it would have been a remarkable achievement, given where we were in the January. I saw grown men and women cry that night because it was so close to being the original miraculous escape.
Then the news about what happened at Highfield Road becomes known and you can’t help but think What If ?
I know a lad who was on Coventry’s staff at the time and was at their match. He has confirmed that once the players were told our result that was it, feet up.
What Hill did was unacceptable and should have resulted in some form of punishment for him and possibly his club. Of course, the Coventry fans are or were not to blame.
There is no doubt Hill ensured his cheating would go unpunished.
I don’t hate Coventry but over the years have allowed mesel a little chuckle whenever they are relegated or on hard times.
The behaviour of their fans last season was a disgrace but whining on about on here will solve nothing. You can only hope that the fans from both clubs who want trouble seek it out with like minded folk and not the innocent, elderly and children.
Anyway, that’s my take.

Coventry are such an inoffensive club. Miss out on being hated by the Birmingham rivalry. The Nottingham rivalry which extends to Derby by one of them. And Leicester has never been an issue. The Boro of the Midlands if you will. Looking for some contrived reason to get worked up about a set of fans-any fans-with whom to engage in a relationship most football fans take for granted. And along come Sunderland.
I was at Goodson on that night in 77. What made it so annoying was that if we had stayed up it would have been a remarkable achievement, given where we were in the January. I saw grown men and women cry that night because it was so close to being the original miraculous escape.
Then the news about what happened at Highfield Road becomes known and you can’t help but think What If ?
I know a lad who was on Coventry’s staff at the time and was at their match. He has confirmed that once the players were told our result that was it, feet up.
What Hill did was unacceptable and should have resulted in some form of punishment for him and possibly his club. Of course, the Coventry fans are or were not to blame.
There is no doubt Hill ensured his cheating would go unpunished.
I don’t hate Coventry but over the years have allowed mesel a little chuckle whenever they are relegated or on hard times.
The behaviour of their fans last season was a disgrace but whining on about on here will solve nothing. You can only hope that the fans from both clubs who want trouble seek it out with like minded folk and not the innocent, elderly and children.
Anyway, that’s my take.

The amazing thing is that anybody would want their club to do otherwise in the same circumstances. Had Everton kicked off 5 minutes later than Coventry with a draw at Goodison suiting both teams who would have been screaming for a winner. Or screaming injustice. Nobody.

Last edited:
Coventry are such an inoffensive club. Miss out on being hated by the Birmingham rivalry. The Nottingham rivalry which extends to Derby by one of them. And Leicester has never been an issue. The Boro of the Midlands if you will. Looking for some contrived reason to get worked up about a set of fans-any fans-with whom to engage in a relationship most football fans take for granted. And along come Sunderland.

The amazing thing is that anybody would want their club to do otherwise in the same circumstances. Had Everton kicked off 5 minutes later than Coventry with a draw at Goodison suiting both teams who would have been screaming for a winner. Or screaming injustice. Nobody.
When I want the opinion of an immature skunk who doesn’t know what he’s talking about, I’ll let you know. Until I ask, stay away from my posts. The mods won’t ban you so this is the best advice I can offer.
You know absolutely nothing about the issue being discussed so kindly feck off.

Back