Explained - Why do Sunderland fans hate Coventry City and Jimmy Hill?

Like many others have said in this thread, I don't hate them at all. Was before my time v's Bristol City, my old man hates them to this day though.

Funny little personal Coventry related story, I wanted them to win the 87 cup final as underdogs and when Houchen ?? scored the diving header to make it 2-2 iirc my dad give me a right clip on the back of the head and sent me to bed :oops::lol:

I have a vague memory of Jimmy Hill being at a Cardiff City match against us back in 2007.Again he made an appearance at half time. Any one else remember that or am I going senile?

I seem to think I remember this too, back, Cardiff fans was singing what’s that coming over the hill about chopra. Ninian park used to be a good away day compared to what it is now at the new ground they play at.

I am, I just spend my time reading all the salty comments on here, they make my day go by faster while I read them and watch you all crying on netflix. On that note remember your new series is out soon you be able to see us put 5 past you 😘

Whatever floats your boat I guess :confused:

I ain't a Portsmouth fan lad.

I am, I just spend my time reading all the salty comments on here, they make my day go by faster while I read them and watch you all crying on netflix. On that note remember your new series is out soon you be able to see us put 5 past you 😘
I have said to you haven't i? GO TO YOUR OWN FORUM YOU FREAK. i will say it again, your club means nothing at all to SAFC in truth. as for Netflix, enjoy :lol:

It would never have been so bad if he wasn't such an opinionated overly influential bastard who set himself up as the voice of fairness and common sense. I loathed him and all he represented. Him and the odious Motson spoilt MOTD - oily fuckers
This is the point that many are missing.
He made a career out of being the players' champion with his PFA work and latterly the 'pundit to the people' on MOTD.
In reality, as Chairman of Coventry, he was a cheat. 43 years doesn't change that.

This. It played the incident down a bit but not too much (might be wrong but was Hill not on the committee who investigated it and decided there was no wrongdoing? If true, that didn't get a mention).

Either way, and I know a lot of our fans don't agree, I don't hate Coventry for it. It was before my time supporting us and, ultimately, it was Jimmy Hill who did it, not Coventry. Don't get me wrong, for people who followed us at the time I can quite understand why they'd hold a grudge, I'm not saying anyone should just move on or whatever, but for me it was an action by a bloke (who has since died) so I'm not going to have a hatred for a club over it.

That being said, I was in the north stand last season and their fans were arseholes that day. Almost as bad is the total whitewash from their fans who, almost to a man, seem to suggest that we're all making it up. There was a lot of stuff chucked down, more than I've seen from any other club, the mags included and it was a disgrace. Had the Coventry fans criticised the mindless minority I'd have no real issue but instead a lot went on like dicks. A lot also seemed to be the same at the away game that season. So I can't say I've got a high opinion of them, and I hope we stuff them. Wouldn't class it as a rivalry though
Bump, I looked it up a couple of years ago.
How much input he had if any we would need to see the minutes but it stank.
Also Alan Dicks the Bristol City Manager was formerly Jimmy Hill's assistant at Coventry.
It was Jimmy Hill who commanded the tannoy announcement and his club must bear the blame.
No apology was forthcoming and an FA committee absolved Coventry of any blame.
Guess who was a member of the committee, Jimmy Hill.

Let's be honest...who gives one flying actual fuck about coventry f***ing city or jimmy hill. Bunch of three fingered wankers with no ground, no history, no pride and no fans.....

Jesus lads you all seem a bit upset 🤣.

Might want to hold them tears in, the oceans raising fast enough don't need another 30,000 people crying.

Something you'll never experience flower
Like many others have said in this thread, I don't hate them at all. Was before my time v's Bristol City, my old man hates them to this day though.

Funny little personal Coventry related story, I wanted them to win the 87 cup final as underdogs and when Houchen ?? scored the diving header to make it 2-2 iirc my dad give me a right clip on the back of the head and sent me to bed :oops::lol:

I'm the same. I've been to Coventry's previous two grounds on several occasions and never once classed them as any sort of rival. The only dislike of them for me was Speedie and then them putting 5 past us in the replay.

Last edited:
Moi? :lol: As for your rivals - it's not for me to say... Coventry City F.C. - Wikipedia

That's almost as batshit as your post tbf. Whoever wrote that needs to give their head a shake. Burton, a club we played for the 1st time ever 130 years after we were formed a rival 🤣 Honestly, it's so far wide of the mark it's laughable.

Tbf, we don't have a fierce rival in the way you do, wouldnt pretend otherwise. But Leicester means a lot to many fans from both sides, especially in certain parts of Warwickshire and Leicestershire. Miss those games :(

I was just thinking that myself
Coventry mean nowt to me , not putting them down by that , just don’t get this sudden rivalry
They need it ! The homeless club has absolutely nothing to hang on to. I was at Everton that night and will always hold them and particularly that utter cheat Hill who they idolise in utter contemp ! Means fuck all as a game rivalry however their twat supporters who have dragged themselves back to the 70's deserve the same contempt

That's almost as batshit as your post tbf. Whoever wrote that needs to give their head a shake. Burton, a club we played for the 1st time ever 130 years after we were formed a rival 🤣 Honestly, it's so far wide of the mark it's laughable.

Tbf, we don't have a fierce rival in the way you do, wouldnt pretend otherwise. But Leicester means a lot to many fans from both sides, especially in certain parts of Warwickshire and Leicestershire. Miss those games :(
Leicester are a great club.

Got to be honest, I don't hate them. In fact, I don't have anything against them at all. It's not like it was their fans fault, that said I can understand why some of our fans are upset considering how an element of their fans behaved last season. I think the artificial rivalry seems to favour them more than it does us, it's becoming akin to our rivalry with Boro i.e. they care more about it than we do.

Last edited:

Back