Expecting employees to “care about the business”

I've often found that the owners or directors or those at the top of the management tree ate canny enough. The current top bod where I work loves his football and chats regularly about football, work, and that.

It's team leaders who become section managers, then departmental managers and so on, that management middle layer, who are more likely to alienate the workforce. Most of them, in my experience, have been sound, but a higher proportion of them have been arseholes than other areas of staff.

I'm well rewarded for what I do, and I enjoy being at work (it's probably the only thing keeping me sane) because of what I do, and get on well with everyone. I'm much more inclined to do that much more for them than when I was doing night shifts in the Tesco warehouse and some cocky little gobshite team leader was throwing his weight around.

I put in a lot of ‘discretionary effort’. I do so because of my personal values, relationships with people at work, my managers treatment toward me and my professional integrity. If and when I feel that my employer/senior managers values and integrity do not align with mine or when I feel that my efforts are not valued then I become unhappy and I’m likely to reduce this discretionary effort and become less effective and more unhappy.

Nowt to do with money.

Any business care about employees? yep thought not. Employees there just to be exploited and thrown away once they have served their purpose. The few that do care, in my experience get taken for granted and exploited even more.

On the same subject, anyone else like me, hate the term " We are hiring " ? see it all the time now as opposed to " vacancies " more American shite infecting this country that reeks of casualisation imo.

Last edited:
Works both ways, do they care about you?

In my experience, no. So I treated them with the same attitude.
The company I work for was taken over around three years ago. Prior to that we all did care about it. The owner was an old boy we all got on with and respected who genuinely cared about his workforce. I could list several times when he's gone above and beyond what someone would expect an employer to do.

Then the company was bought out.....
The new management team brought in their own middle layer of management who all seemed to know each other from previous jobs. They made it clear the "old" employees were seen as relics and they were the new wave of upcoming go getters. They are absolutely clueless as to what we actually do on the frontline whilst out of the office and don't really care. As one of them once told me "some companies care about their employees, we don't".

I got stick on here a few years ago in a thread about going the extra mile for work and doing unpaid work. That fcker has stopped. I'll do what is expected of me but no more. No more sitting studying manuals in my own time. No more ringing customers up with courtesy calls in my own times. No more telephone advice to customers in my own time.

As you say, it works both ways....

Works both ways, do they care about you?

In my experience, no. So I treated them with the same attitude.
The company I work for was taken over around three years ago. Prior to that we all did care about it. The owner was an old boy we all got on with and respected who genuinely cared about his workforce. I could list several times when he's gone above and beyond what someone would expect an employer to do.

Then the company was bought out.....
The new management team brought in their own middle layer of management who all seemed to know each other from previous jobs. They made it clear the "old" employees were seen as relics and they were the new wave of upcoming go getters. They are absolutely clueless as to what we actually do on the frontline whilst out of the office and don't really care. As one of them once told me "some companies care about their employees, we don't".

I got stick on here a few years ago in a thread about going the extra mile for work and doing unpaid work. That fcker has stopped. I'll do what is expected of me but no more. No more sitting studying manuals in my own time. No more ringing customers up with courtesy calls in my own times. No more telephone advice to customers in my own time.

As you say, it works both ways....

Back