Expecting employees to “care about the business”

From the first day at work many years ago I always went with a sense of gratitude to the people/company that hired me above other potential employees. Even when they turned out to be poor employers I gave it my all but made plans to leave and left on good terms even tho I wanted to maybe rip their heads off.
A lot of folk seem to go into a job with the attitude of they should be grateful to have me .
My industry is about as rapacious as you can get but I always work hard for my employer on the basis when the tough decisions need to made I can be sure someone else gives less of a fuck and they'll be first out the door. There is a balance of course. If the bank took the piss or were unreasonable I'd be out the door in a shot.

What a lot of wanky shite. Balance is important but no need to come across as a bellend to reach that conclusion. (Brian, not you personally)
I think that's fair but some people place more importance on work than others (which is fine) or care less about the other balls. Quite a good analogy I thought

Last edited:

I’m increasingly hearing management at work complaining that not enough people “care about the business”.
But unless you’re a shareholder or the owner, why would you?
I can understand people taking pride in their work, that’s different. But as long as their job is safe, why would you expect any of the rank and file workforce to give a shit about the business itself, especially if they work for a multinational corporate giant? Unless they are working towards a tasty bonus or promotion, surely most people just want to hoy their coat on at 4.30 and escape, not stay back to get a job out cos it’s “for the benefit of the business”.
You had a bollocking for being a bit lax again Herbal?

I work in finance. Generally the various bosses think we are there purely to make their life more difficult so there’s absolutely no reason for me to “care about the business”.

I’m increasingly hearing management at work complaining that not enough people “care about the business”.
But unless you’re a shareholder or the owner, why would you?
I can understand people taking pride in their work, that’s different. But as long as their job is safe, why would you expect any of the rank and file workforce to give a shit about the business itself, especially if they work for a multinational corporate giant? Unless they are working towards a tasty bonus or promotion, surely most people just want to hoy their coat on at 4.30 and escape, not stay back to get a job out cos it’s “for the benefit of the business”.
People would care more if they were getting some of that executive management wages

Works both ways, do they care about you?

In my experience, no. So I treated them with the same attitude.
You get a wage. I don’t expect people to work for free or to bust a guy every single day but I expect them to do their jobs that they’re paid for.
Some people just turn up and try and toss it off and complain when asked/told to work.

You are just an employee payroll number.

Bosses will always try and get as much as they can for as little as possible.

I’ve always worked hard in any job I’ve done but that’s probably more down to my work ethic.

Work to the best of your ability for the time you are paid to work, then leave on time and forget about the bastards until the next day.

To an extent I agree. But if I get a bit more done on certain days and show a willingness to help out when deadlines are tight, I get a lot of leeway to leave quite early on other days.

It’s based on trust that neither me or my bosses will take the piss mind but I like it.

To an extent I agree. But if I get a bit more done on certain days and show a willingness to help out when deadlines are tight, I get a lot of leeway to leave quite early on other days.

It’s based on trust that neither me or my bosses will take the piss mind but I like it.
If you have that relationship with your boss, then that's a good thing. But the flexibility has to work both ways!

My last job in the UK was very good for that. If I worked 10 hours one day, I was sure to take 2 back within the next couple of weeks. We were banned from time tracking but ultimately everyone did it to make sure neither we nor they were taking the piss.

The job before that expected me to do unpaid overtime regularly and I soon figured out I'd never get the time back, so I refused.

If you have that relationship with your boss, then that's a good thing. But the flexibility has to work both ways!

My last job in the UK was very good for that. If I worked 10 hours one day, I was sure to take 2 back within the next couple of weeks. We were banned from time tracking but ultimately everyone did it to make sure neither we nor they were taking the piss.

Thankfully I do and the flexibility works well. They do always ask if I’m
taking enough time back.

My last boss was a mag, as an example, and would always make sure I was able to leave in enough time to make Tuesday night matches even if it was a bit early. To the extent of stopping a meeting and saying I could leave :lol:

Once a company is so big you can guarantee they don't give a shit about you.
I currently work for a company where I'm one of only 2 direct full time employees in the office (there are 2 part time that do a half day once a week, 2 senior partners - dad and son, and a sales agent that's often out and about).

I'm treated really well and therefore have no problem putting in a little extra time here and there (usually 5 or 10 minutes at the end of the day) and often don't take my full lunch (almost never).

Previously I worked for RBS and took everything I was entitled to and if I was made to stay late, I claimed overtime.

That's the difference between a good company that care about staff and a shite one. What they get back from me is a reflection of themselves.

Go into work - give it my best for 37 hours a week (flexi hours) - go home - forget they exist, and repeat.

Most comments on this thread seem to suggest that caring about your work means doing long hours for free. You can care but just do around your contracted hours, doing above and beyond to make the place better but still heading off home at 5pm. That is what I do in my current job. If there is a problem, I will stick around but when there is no reason then I have stuff at home which is also important.

I remember one boss I had in a previous place expected long hours. He saw me putting my coat on at 4:30 and asked what was going on. “I came in at 8, done my 7.5 hours, I’m off home”. He had waddled in about 10:30 that day. “I expect everyone to do at least and extra hour and a half, I don’t expect anyone to leave before 6, just through Love Of The Job”. He was not suited when I said I hated the job, didn’t qualify for that and would see him in the morning.

A couple of the “hard workers” didn’t used to start until 9:30, but them leaving at 6 was fine because they had stopped late.

My immediate boss is great and there is perfect give and take, she appreciates me and I her.

Thing is we are woefully understaffed a lot of the time and although I give 100% to my work, when I I have to do some of the stuff that arises because of short staff it means I can't give 100% to my work and that ticks me off. Thing is we all go above and beyond because of no staff but the company don't actually care, so long as the bottom line is ok.

Back